Clinton Portis with the 25th pick?........TSN's mock draft is way off the mark | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clinton Portis with the 25th pick?........TSN's mock draft is way off the mark

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
I love The Sporting News and their football coverage but they simply missed the boat in their mock draft. Clinton Portis is not even on Rick Spielman's radar as a possible RB for Miami in the upcoming draft. At 189lbs, he's about 25 lbs lighter (minimum) than what Norv Turner and Dave Wannestadt have in mind for the ball carrier who will carry the load for us in 2002.

And while we're on this topic, you will not see any RB-by-commitee approach either as well as Travis Minor in the feature role. I'll guarntee you this, Minor will be #3 on the starting RB depth chart when the season begins. He'll be playing behind to 225lbs guys not named Lamar Smith or JJ Johnson. He'll continue in his role as a dynamic 3rd down back and special teamer. Both roles in which he excels at.........

I loved Portis in Miami. When he was a Cane. But I just don't see him as a 1st round pick. Mabye low second round. If Minor is our #3 back. Who's #2 ,supposing we trade or draft for #1.

Miami will be RB shopping right upto training camp...

Originally posted by Chisel Monkey
I loved Portis in Miami. When he was a Cane. But I just don't see him as a 1st round pick. Mabye low second round. If Minor is our #3 back. Who's #2 ,supposing we trade or draft for #1.

Should Miami successfully land Ricky Williams or Fred taylor, they'll almost certainly draft a 225lb RB in the latter portions of the draft ala Ladell Betts or Tony Fisher. Actually, they'll probebly draft a RB in there regardless of who they land to be the #1 back.

If we're unsuccessful in acquiring RW or FT then expect a veteran signing to serve as a back-up to a rookie starter in the form of T.J. Duckett or DeShaun Foster. Someone like Skip Hicks, KiJana Carter or Robert Edwards.

I see us starting the season with a RB depth chart as follows:

#1: Ricky Williams, Fred Taylor, T.J. Duckett or Deshaun Foster
#2: Ladell Betts, Tony Fisher, Skip Hicks, KiJana Carter or Robert Edwards
#3: Travis Minor

whoever!

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
There is no way Minor would fall to three.
is the #1 back, i'd like to see minor in at the same time. the big back up the middle and an occasional sweep and minor just the opposite!:D

I don't like Duckett, I'm one of those people who thinks he will be another Ron Dayne, he simply takes too long to get going.

If we don't trade for RW or FT, I think our first round pick will be used on the best avaialble RB, but I agree that it won't be Portis, he's too similar to Minor.

DeShaun Foster or William Green would be a nice fit, or we could trade down into round two and try to get someone like Lamar Gordon.

I have a feeling that the Brownies will outbid us for RW, but RW may not want to go to Cleveland. FT is a stud when he's healthy, but he hasn't been healthy.

As long as we don't take another CB in the first round, I'll be happy.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
There is no way Minor would fall to three.
Minor is definitely a great back who can work effectively against certain defenses, i.e. D's with slower OLB's. And he can be split outside to create mismatches. His role s/b a change of pace guy like Garner at Oak, whether that make him #2 or #3 does not make a difference.

Originally posted by mp1384
I don't like Duckett, I'm one of those people who thinks he will be another Ron Dayne, he simply takes too long to get going.

If we don't trade for RW or FT, I think our first round pick will be used on the best avaialble RB, but I agree that it won't be Portis, he's too similar to Minor.

DeShaun Foster or William Green would be a nice fit, or we could trade down into round two and try to get someone like Lamar Gordon.

I have a feeling that the Brownies will outbid us for RW, but RW may not want to go to Cleveland. FT is a stud when he's healthy, but he hasn't been healthy.

As long as we don't take another CB in the first round, I'll be happy.

I agree about Duckett, but I think we have a good shot at getting RW. I certainly hope we get Ricky Williams.

Originally posted by Canuck
I love The Sporting News and their football coverage but they simply missed the boat in their mock draft. Clinton Portis is not even on Rick Spielman's radar as a possible RB for Miami in the upcoming draft. At 189lbs, he's about 25 lbs lighter (minimum) than what Norv Turner and Dave Wannestadt have in mind for the ball carrier who will carry the load for us in 2002.

And while we're on this topic, you will not see any RB-by-commitee approach either as well as Travis Minor in the feature role. I'll guarntee you this, Minor will be #3 on the starting RB depth chart when the season begins. He'll be playing behind to 225lbs guys not named Lamar Smith or JJ Johnson. He'll continue in his role as a dynamic 3rd down back and special teamer. Both roles in which he excels at.........

What the heck is TSN thinking? They're a good magazine and all, but Portis is a 2nd rounder and not the type of RB Miami wants or needs.

Portis w/b a major reach and totally stupid considering we have Minor

TSN thinks Portis will be a starting RB. If someone picks him up in that role he's going to wind up as another John Avery; a guy with a lot of talent but too much of an east-west runner as well as someone who's too small to carry the brunt of the load at the pro level. He'll do very well in a third down back role.

If no Ricky then let's get Deshaun! :D

Exactly Expo88....

Originally posted by Expo88
TSN thinks Portis will be a starting RB. If someone picks him up in that role he's going to wind up as another John Avery; a guy with a lot of talent but too much of an east-west runner as well as someone who's too small to carry the brunt of the load at the pro level. He'll do very well in a third down back role.

If no Ricky then let's get Deshaun! :D

If no RW then DeShaun with the 25th pick it should be. I've done a little more reading about him and he apperently was the best senior back on display at the Senior Bowl. He'll almost certainly be picked by Houston at the top of the 2nd round or Carolina with the 2nd pick in round 2. Picking him at 25 wouldn't be a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom