CLUMP or MERMAN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CLUMP or MERMAN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unclemonty

Dolphins, Buckeyes, MMA, and hot chicks
Reaction score
Could you please help us with a question.
What are the cap savings from releasing Fiedler before AND after June 1st???? No one can agree on the numbers. We need an expert!!!

THX

Clump and I were just discussing this the other day and we didn't finish. We differ a few thousand on the signing bonus proration which is insignificant. We were also discussing bonus acceleration for not paying the option due 4/15/04 which does not make any difference if he is cut before 6/01. The big difference is the option bonus treatment. The Herald's numbers seem to be already prorating the $2 million option. This is the treatment I will give here as that is the reference in the other thread.

Base salary...................... $3.7 million
signing bonus proration..... 1.137
prorating option .................0.667

Total...................................$5.504

Less dead money (3yrs)......$3.412

Cap Savings........................$2.092

If you don't count the option at all the savings is reduced by $667k and if you include the option in total the savings are increased by $1.333 million.

I concur, but the real savings come in 2005 & 2006. If Fielder is let go now, there will be no cap hit for him after 2004.

Actually Fiedler's deal was for five years with a $4M bonus so his dead money is $2.4M. You guys keeping the cap figures need to research that original deal further.

Base salary...................... $3.7M
signing bonus proration..... $800K
prorating option became roster bonus. ....$2.0M

Total...................................$6.5M

Less dead money (3yrs)......$2.4M

Cap Savings........................$4.1M

Originally posted by Aqua
Actually Fiedler's deal was for five years with a $4M bonus so his dead money is $2.4M. You guys keeping the cap figures need to research that original deal further.

You are missing last year's $1.25 million roster bonus that was considered signing bonus.

The way I see it, if he is cut now, it's the better option in that his base is 3.7 (a savings) his amortized bonus of around 1.12 X 3 (yrs left on contract), pretty much equals the salary and gets washed out cuz all the bonus $$ counts this yr cuz it's b4 6/1. but we'll save his 2 mil roster bonus that's due, when, 4/1 or thereabout.

If we wait til 6/1 to cut him, then the 2 mil roster bonus will have been pd and spread over the 3 yrs remaining on his deal will count as a 1.8 mil hit for 04 and all the rest, about 3.6 mil will count next yr. It would seem that if they're going to dump him, it would behoove us to do it b4 the roster bonus come due.

Please tell me that I'm somewhere in the ball park on this Clump !!!
:D :D

The $2 million bonus due in April is an option bonus that activates 2006. If he stays with Miami, it will not be paid. That would mean that amortization from 2006 would be accelerated into either 2004 or equally split between 2004 & 2005. Merman says it's accelrated into 2004 and I think it's the latter.

To figure cap savings, take the cap hit and subtract accelerated amortization:

$4.8125-$3.3375=$1.475 million

Then subtract the cost of the 52nd player (right now it's $235,000)

$1.475-$0.235= cap savings of $1.24 million

Since the option will not likely be paid, it's not necessary to include it in the calculations

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
The $2 million bonus due in April is an option bonus that activates 2006. If he stays with Miami, it will not be paid. That would mean that amortization from 2006 would be accelerated into either 2004 or equally split between 2004 & 2005. Merman says it's accelrated into 2004 and I think it's the latter.

To figure cap savings, take the cap hit and subtract accelerated amortization:

$4.8125-$3.3375=$1.475 million

Then subtract the cost of the 52nd player (right now it's $235,000)

$1.475-$0.235= cap savings of $1.24 million

Since the option will not likely be paid, it's not necessary to include it in the calculations

The confusing part to me is that the way it sounds is that it would be paid if he is cut in 06. :confused: :confused:

Well, players often have bonus money due early in there contracts that "activate" extra yrs on a contract. What it essentially does is tie the player contractually to the team longer. If Miami pays the option, Fielder is under contract thru 2006. If Miami does not pay the option then he's under contract thru 2005. However, the option is due in 2004.

Come on. First you want to show a roster bonus as guaranteed before it's offical and now you want to take an option out of team salary because it probably won't be paid??? Why bother with rules??? Just show every player's cap charge the way you expect it to turn out. :rolleyes:

Besides the "option amount" is suppose to be in team salary until renounced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do I bother then? :(

I try to explain in laymen terms so people can understand. I try to avoid using CBA contract language because it usually ends up killing threads and complicating the issue. I have a grad degree in Economics and I find the contract language confusing. I do things that try to explain what I feel has happened in order to explain discrepancies and I fully present my position. I try to use whatever resources I can to explain why I've taken a certain position. No matter what I do, other people always just try to shoot me down.

Originally posted by Merman

Besides the "option amount" is suppose to be in team salary until renounced.

This is not what AdamJT has said. It's amortized. However, how can Miami be charged for an option bonus that is not paid. If they release him NOW, nothing from that $2 million option will be applied to Miami's cap.

This is not what AdamJT has said. It's amortized. However, how can Miami be charged for an option bonus that is not paid. If they release him NOW, nothing from that $2 million option will be applied to Miami's cap.

That is correct, if Miami cuts Fiedler nothing from the option will be applied to team salary. But since an amount of the option is or will be included in the cap on 3/03, if he is cut the option amount should be included in any cap saving calculation. Would there be no cap savings for players’ 2004 salary or roster bonus if they were cut before 3/03/04???

By saying it should not be included, I also understood that you thought that the option amount should not be included in the Team Salary total because it was "assumed" Fiedler was going to be cut. As it turns out he is not going to be cut now. This is precisely the reason I protest making changes until they happen.

Back
Top Bottom