CLUMP or MERMAN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CLUMP or MERMAN HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Why do I bother then? :(

I try to explain in laymen terms so people can understand. I try to avoid using CBA contract language because it usually ends up killing threads and complicating the issue. I have a grad degree in Economics and I find the contract language confusing. I do things that try to explain what I feel has happened in order to explain discrepancies and I fully present my position. I try to use whatever resources I can to explain why I've taken a certain position. No matter what I do, other people always just try to shoot me down.

Why do you bother??? If you are going to be high profile then you should expect some criticism both merited or not, constructive or not. What did you expect??? That others would just say Oh clump that’s great you are so smart and everything you say is right??? You have been on the boards long enough to know that no one is shooting you down. It’s called disagreement, discussion or debate. If you can’t take a little or any at all why do you bother???

As for using cap contract language, I agree that trying to explain the CBA in simple terms is desirable to help others understand. Yet I have found many times that the CBA is so complicated that using other words to explain it comes out wrong or is misunderstood. Add to that how many fools just state something as fact, believing it themselves, when they don’t know what they are talking about. Stating the actual contract language cuts out the 10 B.S. posts back and forth to none. Everyone can read it for himself or herself and even if they don’t understand it all it is there for everyone to evaluate.

The salary cap with all its rules that are contained in “The Collective Bargaining Agreement “ (CBA) is a very technical subject with many technical terms. These terms should be used and used correctly. By not using it people become confused. Like what the hell is “dead weight�?? Is that a player that does not perform well or is it signing bonus money that has become "dead money" because the player has been cut. How about "cap hit" is that the amount charged to team salary for the player's salary and bonuses or the amount of dead money that will be charged because a player is traded or released???

The salary cap is like anything else if you want to learn about it you will. When talking about the game of football using the correct term helps others to understand. We use the term “wide receiver†not the guy at the end of the line. We use the terms the “defense blitzed the quarterback,†not the guys without the ball went after the other team’s ball handler. So who is the ball handler the center or quarterback??? Beginners always have to learn the jargon of any technical subject and using it correctly will help all of us to learn quickly and correctly.

Now if you are going to take this post personally, don’t. This is just my opinion. Agree with it or not you are not going to hurt my feelings. :)

Constructive criticism :up:

Condescending criticism :down:

I've noticed in the culture of "cyber-capologists" that some tend to come across as excessively harsh in their comments, whether justified or not. Their comments are often taken as "condescending" because of using CBA contract language. Many times people just don't respond because they cannot make an argument at the same level. I'm trying to introduce people to the subject and educate. Cannot start at too high a level (like my Immunology professor did) or there will only be a handful of posters using this forum. I do not want that.

I welcome criticism. I welcome other opinions. Sometimes it's necessary to make an educated guess in order to explain discrepancies and resolve differences. Through this sometimes comes the correct interpretation of a provision.

I hope you understand my position :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, players often have bonus money due early in there contracts that "activate" extra yrs on a contract. What it essentially does is tie the player contractually to the team longer. If Miami pays the option, Fielder is under contract thru 2006. If Miami does not pay the option then he's under contract thru 2005. However, the option is due in 2004.

So, you're saying that we don't hAVE to pay it at all and if we don't then he's done in 2 yrs instead of 3? OK, that's better, so if we don't pay it, then his cap # will be a little over 4.8 this year. But if we just cut his arse now, it would be a toalt hit of 3.3+, the remaining amortized bonus for the 3 yrs left, but if we cut him after 6/1, it will be only 1.1+ this yr and 2.2+ next? if so, cut him after 6/1 and use that $$ on other fA cuts, eh?

If you don't pay it, then bonus money that was amortized into 2006 would accelerated into either just 2004 or both 2004 & 2005. Either way, his cap number will increase by not paying the bonus

This is all moot because it looks like Fiedler will be getting a new deal that eliminates this bonus :tongue:

Originally posted by Merman

Why do you bother??? If you are going to be high profile then you should expect some criticism both merited or not, constructive or not. What did you expect??? That others would just say Oh clump that’s great you are so smart and everything you say is right??? You have been on the boards long enough to know that no one is shooting you down. It’s called disagreement, discussion or debate. If you can’t take a little or any at all why do you bother???

As for using cap contract language, I agree that trying to explain the CBA in simple terms is desirable to help others understand. Yet I have found many times that the CBA is so complicated that using other words to explain it comes out wrong or is misunderstood. Add to that how many fools just state something as fact, believing it themselves, when they don’t know what they are talking about. Stating the actual contract language cuts out the 10 B.S. posts back and forth to none. Everyone can read it for himself or herself and even if they don’t understand it all it is there for everyone to evaluate.

The salary cap with all its rules that are contained in “The Collective Bargaining Agreement “ (CBA) is a very technical subject with many technical terms. These terms should be used and used correctly. By not using it people become confused. Like what the hell is “dead weight�?? Is that a player that does not perform well or is it signing bonus money that has become "dead money" because the player has been cut. How about "cap hit" is that the amount charged to team salary for the player's salary and bonuses or the amount of dead money that will be charged because a player is traded or released???

The salary cap is like anything else if you want to learn about it you will. When talking about the game of football using the correct term helps others to understand. We use the term “wide receiver†not the guy at the end of the line. We use the terms the “defense blitzed the quarterback,†not the guys without the ball went after the other team’s ball handler. So who is the ball handler the center or quarterback??? Beginners always have to learn the jargon of any technical subject and using it correctly will help all of us to learn quickly and correctly.

Now if you are going to take this post personally, don’t. This is just my opinion. Agree with it or not you are not going to hurt my feelings. :)

yes, yes, YES !! Jamar Flectcher fit YOUR "definitiion" of dead weight!!

:D :D :D

If you don't pay it, then bonus money that was amortized into 2006 would accelerated into either just 2004 or both 2004 & 2005. Either way, his cap number will increase by not paying the bonus

This is all moot because it looks like Fiedler will be getting a new deal that eliminates this bonus :tongue:

The option bonus is not moot until Fiedler is cut or the deal is redone. An option amount, whether a prorated amount or the total, is included in team salary until renounced.

The cap number will not go up if the option is not paid. It goes up if the option is renounced, then the 2006 signing bonus portion is accelerated. If the option is not exercised (paid) or renounced it stays in team salary for the year. The next year a credit is taken for the amount carried the previous year. :tongue:

I thought it was : I see said the blind man to the deaf woman. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom