Coach Arena Faces Position Puzzle Up Front | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coach Arena Faces Position Puzzle Up Front

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
he goalkeeper has been set for more than a year and the defense fell into place months ago. Now U.S. coach Bruce Arena must figure out the final lineup of his attackers and midfielders for the Americans' World Cup opener against the Czech Republic.

Will DaMarcus Beasley shift across to the right midfield flank, opening a spot for Bobby Convey or John O'Brien on the left? Or will Beasley stay on the left, creating an opening for Clint Dempsey on the right?

Will Josh Wolff or Eddie Johnson be paired with Brian McBride up front, or will Arena push up Landon Donovan to forward, which would enable him to start Beasley, O'Brien and either Convey or Dempsey in the midfield?

Arena wouldn't give many hints following Sunday night's 1-0 victory over Latvia that completed a stretch of three exhibition games in a six-day span. American players are off until Thursday, when they travel to Germany. The final round of World Cup training starts Friday, and there is a closed scrimmage against Angola ahead of the June 12 opener against the Czech Republic.

``We know we're fit, and when we're fit and ready and playing to our ability, we can beat anybody,'' goalkeeper Kasey Keller said. ``We just have to step on the field and execute.''

Keller, the last remaining veteran of the 1990 World Cup wipeout still on the U.S. roster, earned the starting goalkeeper job with stellar play in qualifying. Barring injuries, Eddie Lewis will be the left back, Oguchi Onyewu and Eddie Pope will be in central defense, and Steve Cherundolo will be at right back.
Captain Claudio Reyna, also heading to his fourth World Cup, will play a defensive midfield role and control the tempo of the game. He strained his right hamstring early in the 1-0 loss to Morocco on May 23 but thinks he'll be ready for the Czechs.

``It's tight a little bit, but it's still where the trainers always said I would be at this stage,'' Reyna said Sunday night. ``Everything is on schedule, all things going well. I hope to be training once we get to Germany.''

Beasley hasn't been sharp, according to Arena, but the coach thinks his match fitness will be fine by the opener. Arena said after Sunday's game that O'Brien, coming off lengthy injuries, won't be ready to play 90 minutes by June 12, a signal that he might not start against the Czechs.

http://sportsillustrated.netscape.cnn.com/sports/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20060529%2F1747391087.htm&sc=2050

i think you gotta leave donovan at midfield, thats where he thrives. he is the best player on the team IMO, and he should not be moved.
id move beasley over to get convey in, as i really like the way that kid plays.
between wolff and johnson, i think its really a toss up. both those guys have different qualities

DevilElias26 said:
i think you gotta leave donovan at midfield, thats where he thrives. he is the best player on the team IMO, and he should not be moved.
id move beasley over to get convey in, as i really like the way that kid plays.
between wolff and johnson, i think its really a toss up. both those guys have different qualities

Wolff can create more attacking plays, but Johnson has better finishing abilities. I'd prefer Johnson....

I would do a Beasley/Convey on the left and Dempsey on the right. If Dempsey struggles, then yeah do the duo Lefty flanker idea. I think Donovan needs to play behind the Striker....as a CF. That is where he can create plays....just my 0.02....

Back
Top Bottom