Coaching is our biggest offseason acquisition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coaching is our biggest offseason acquisition

Canadianfishfan

FinHeavean VIP
Reaction score
We can talk about players and whatnot.. but I believe with Houck... Linehan... and Saban mixing up the defensive schemes will make us competitive. Not necessarily players.
We've had an above avg. defense talent wise for years.. but underachieved, and were poorly coached.
With proper coaching we're going to see an effective.. or at least improved line... an arial attack.. and a defense that confuses.

Now add the talent... THAT makes it lethal... and something to look forward too.:cooldude:

I agree... for the first time we don't have a bunch of "yes men"... Wanny and JJ liked to stroke there egos by having coaches who pretty muched bowed to there evry desire...

Saban wants to win games, he puts his ego aside for the bottom line... WINNING GAMES!

Other than being yes men.. I think the coaching will be the biggest upside... the biggest contributer to our success..
Im really interested to see what Houck and linehan bring.. Im pumped

I agree. IMO, coaching has become a very important factor in the NFL with the parity of the league. At the college level, I believe that some sub-par coaches can win if they have a marked advantage in talent over some other teams. IMO, a case for that can be made at the University of Miami. I'm not a fan of Miami, nor do I dislike, but I do not believe that Larry Coker is all that great of a coach.

In the NFL, where you have teams that are relatively equal in talent across the board, the difference is in the coaching. New England has won three of four Superbowls because they are the best coached team in the NFL. They certainly aren't the most talented.

Dave Wannstedt's downfall is that he coached like a college coach would at a big university like Miami. Basically, his approach was to line up and beat you straight up simply because we are better. That doesn't work in the NFL over the long haul. You have to scheme. You have to mix things up. You have to take advantage of mismatches and opportunities. We did this to an extent when we had Chan Gailey as the offensive coordinator. He was fabulous at taking what he had and maximizing it. Look at what he worked with. The talent level we had offensively over the past three years was superior to the talent level Chan had to work with, but his offense was better because he adjusted to his talent. That's why Miami was able to hold their head above water just enough to get into the playoffs, even though they were a severely flawed team.

Those things will change this season. We will no longer line up in a straight up base 4-3 with man press coverage on the oustide 90% of the time like we have done in the past. I saw an article that detailed Miami's front four somehwere last night. This article stated that Miami ran 4 down linemen in the same formation 87% of the snaps and only varied when they went into the nickle and dime sets. Nick Saban will run different formations from play to play. We will stunt the defensive linemen. We will play even man and odd man fronts.

Offensively, I think you will see us start taking advantage of the talent we have and not the talent we wished we had.

KB21 said:
I agree. IMO, coaching has become a very important factor in the NFL with the parity of the league. At the college level, I believe that some sub-par coaches can win if they have a marked advantage in talent over some other teams. IMO, a case for that can be made at the University of Miami. I'm not a fan of Miami, nor do I dislike, but I do not believe that Larry Coker is all that great of a coach.

In the NFL, where you have teams that are relatively equal in talent across the board, the difference is in the coaching. New England has won three of four Superbowls because they are the best coached team in the NFL. They certainly aren't the most talented.

Dave Wannstedt's downfall is that he coached like a college coach would at a big university like Miami. Basically, his approach was to line up and beat you straight up simply because we are better. That doesn't work in the NFL over the long haul. You have to scheme. You have to mix things up. You have to take advantage of mismatches and opportunities. We did this to an extent when we had Chan Gailey as the offensive coordinator. He was fabulous at taking what he had and maximizing it. Look at what he worked with. The talent level we had offensively over the past three years was superior to the talent level Chan had to work with, but his offense was better because he adjusted to his talent. That's why Miami was able to hold their head above water just enough to get into the playoffs, even though they were a severely flawed team.

Those things will change this season. We will no longer line up in a straight up base 4-3 with man press coverage on the oustide 90% of the time like we have done in the past. I saw an article that detailed Miami's front four somehwere last night. This article stated that Miami ran 4 down linemen in the same formation 87% of the snaps and only varied when they went into the nickle and dime sets. Nick Saban will run different formations from play to play. We will stunt the defensive linemen. We will play even man and odd man fronts.

Offensively, I think you will see us start taking advantage of the talent we have and not the talent we wished we had.

Post of the week.

KB21 said:

GREAT POST!

Back
Top Bottom