Colts players car-jacked, fired upon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts players car-jacked, fired upon

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Pretty scary stuff. Especially when the gun jammed.

Man Jailed in Colts Carjacking Case

By Associated Press
Posted June 18 2002, 8:52 PM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was jailed Tuesday in a carjacking in which two Indianapolis Colts players chased a stolen sport utility vehicle belonging to one of them and were fired upon.

Brian Varnado, 20, of Indianapolis, was treated at a hospital for unspecified injuries and then jailed Tuesday on preliminary charges of carjacking and criminal recklessness, police Sgt. Eric Hench said. Varnado, who was arrested Monday night, was held without bond pending a court hearing Wednesday.

Defensive backs Nick Harper and Idrees Bashir said they were talking in the parking lot at Lafayette Square Mall on the city's west side about 9 p.m. Monday when a man approached them with a semiautomatic rifle.

The man demanded Bashir's GMC Yukon Denali sport-utility vehicle.

"You had to give it up," Harper said of Bashir surrendering his vehicle. "He pulled the trigger, but the gun jammed."

Bashir said his first instinct was to run after seeing the rifle.

"I took a couple of steps, but then I thought I could get shot in the back or something and then I'd be dead, getting shot with one of those," he said. "So I laid down and gave it up."

The players used Harper's car to follow the carjacker, and notified a security company tracking Bashir's vehicle. The players said they stopped their pursuit after the carjacker fired his rifle at them.

The security company contacted police, who soon found the vehicle and chased it for about 10 minutes on the city's northwest side until it struck a car and flipped over.

No other injuries were reported.

Harper, in his third year out of Fort Valley State, struggled with a pulled abdominal muscle most of last season. Bashir, who played at the University of Memphis, was a second-round draft pick last year.

Back
Top Bottom