Active Roster
Reaction score
What price to stay?
Poll: 60% oppose cash for Colts
But 54% support using hospitality taxes for team

By Matthew Tully
matthew.tully@indystar.com
November 2, 2003

Marion County voters in large numbers continue to oppose Mayor Bart Peterson's pledge to pay $10 million or more annually to the Indianapolis Colts, even if that's the only way to keep the team from leaving town.

But many make a clear distinction between taxes they pay and those collected from outsiders, according to a new poll conducted for The Indianapolis Star and its news-gathering partner, WTHR (Channel 13). That distinction could give a big boost to the mayor and others trying to sign the Colts to a new long-term lease.

According to the poll of 400 likely Marion County voters, 60 percent oppose Peterson's position on making the payments, which he and team officials have said could surpass $10 million a year, beginning in 2006. But when voters were asked about helping the Colts with tax revenues collected from hotels, car rentals and restaurant tabs -- and not property or income taxes -- the results were dramatically different.

Fifty-four percent supported that idea, while 36 percent were opposed.

I have a suggestion they cold move to LA. Just kidding, any
team that moves there will have to have holes in their owners
heads. That place is a graveyard for NFL teams. Those people
won't support it.

After a second thought why not move the Jets or the Bills there,
along with Espn...

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/088900-2055-038.html :goof:

So because the Colts can't make a below an average amount of money, they expect the city to just pay them $10 million a year in kickbacks?? GIVE ME A BREAK!! Heh, I don't make the "league median" for my industry. Can I get the taxpayers to get my head above water??

I guess this all stems from Jim Irsay (Colts owner) not having a stake in the RCA Dome, creating a Florida Marlins-type financial situation. That's just my guess. But it's a major reason why all these sports franchise owners want their own stadiums.

Back
Top Bottom