Commentary: Spielman gone; Now the new era can officially begin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Spielman gone; Now the new era can officially begin

Megatron said:
Wayne made it clear he wanted a winner last season. Most of us thought we were a player away for the last two years. The nucleus of our team said win now. The word on the street was now or never. He did his best, he may have been out of his depth, but he did his best. Honestly he tried to get what he thought the best QB was to supplant Fiedler. He can only work with the hand he was dealt and it wasn't much.

Many GM's are told to win now yet they don't make the sucker deals RS did all year last year.

He was in over his head.

The hand he was dealt crap is just another excuse.

DolphinDevil

I am sorry that you didn't like my article...can't please everyone all the time...
that is something you will learn if you begin a career as a journalist...

Another thing you might learn is that sometimes its important to get something out to respond to a major event...even if it isn't the most detailed evaluation or critique...that journalism is a time-sensitive and event driven business...in which you must respond. That doesn't mean that you write an article around July/August when you feel like it.

My final thing for you is to open a newspaper or magazine and look at the length of articles...pretty short aren't they? That's because most people don't want to read anything longer.

I hope you will keep reading and next time leave your ego at the door where it belongs.

Awsi Dooger said:
Funny you got ripped in this thread. I was thinking of commending you for the earlier references to the Crucible and McCarthyism. Not every 21 year old, even college educated, would be familiar with those references. Hell, I mention Joe McCarthy to people my age (early 40s) and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

One tiny thing for you to work on, if you're in communications and may pursue a job in a related field: a person is a WHO, not a THAT. As in your sentence, "YOU are the one that is weak, Ms. O'Donnell." I cringed at THAT one. It should be "who" is weak. Sorry, just a major pet peeve of mine as a print journalism grad. Admittedly, if I corrected everyone on it, orally and written, I would never have time for anything else.

And what's the O'Donnell reference? Maybe I'm missing something very basic. When I read O'Donnell I think of the babe newscaster Norah O'Donnell. An All-America brunette like Norah melts me every time. I have no idea what she's saying.

Even so, it doesn't necessitate the guy being a jerk to someone who is a writer on the boards. I have an English degree, but I have never seen the need to belittle others. Chastise only those that need it, and you need it dolphindevil....

As for McCarthyism, I don't see the true connection. There may be a correlation, but it was not a calling out of all things Wannstedt per se. Additionally, even if it was, so what? He still cited evidence as to why the former "GM" resigned, and told us all that we can finally move on. What is the big deal?

Maybe you should take more ethics classes at that university of yours. It might teach you something. Look up Kant, it would do you good. (Pun intended) Or at least read some Nicomachean Ethics....then you will not need to walk around lopsided with such a chip on your shoulder...

RHoffman said:
I am sorry that you didn't like my article...can't please everyone all the time...

Another thing you might learn is that sometimes its important to get something out to respond to a major event...even if it isn't the most detailed evaluation or critique...that journalism is a time-sensitive and event driven business...in which you must respond. That doesn't mean that you write an article around July/August when you feel like it.

My final thing for you is to open a newspaper or magazine and look at the length of articles...pretty short aren't they? That's because most people don't want to read anything longer.

I hope you will keep reading and next time leave your ego at the door where it belongs.

Wow, I must commend you for taking the high road on this one. As an aspiring novelist, I hope to deal with my detractors with the same professionalism that you show. Bravo!

I am confused.Why are there two columns by the same author on the same subject.Cant columnists add a post script or edit ?

Crunch...

it's two different authors...

and I wasn't aware that Michael had submitted something before I submitted my piece.

ArticleNinja said:
Discuss this article or suffer dire consequences: http://www.finheaven.com/cms/148.html.
The handwritting was on the wall after Wannstedt resigned / was terminated!!

Spielman was after all hired by Wanny.. And while I think that he is being forced into a scape-goat position,, his ties to Dave would always be a lightning rod to last season's debacle...

Marino1983

RHoffman said:
it's two different authors...

and I wasn't aware that Michael had submitted something before I submitted my piece.

Both have the article ninja nameplate.Thats confusing.I always thought it was the same author.I learn something new every day on this MB.:tongue:

BTW Props to all of the aspiring journalists who give of their time to this MB.:)

DolphinDevil

eltos_lightfoot said:
Wow, I must commend you for taking the high road on this one. As an aspiring novelist, I hope to deal with my detractors with the same professionalism that you show. Bravo!

me too, well handled. There was no need to be so nasty and actually he insulted both articles. It will hard to forget this when I get to his promised "you'll love it" article later in the summer. Look how loudly the cry was when Marty called him on two consecutive sentences. Can you imagine the cry if he is treated as he just treated you? :cry:

Steve S said:
Many GM's are told to win now yet they don't make the sucker deals RS did all year last year.

He was in over his head.

The hand he was dealt crap is just another excuse.

True, but if you want to use the poker analogy, he was dealt a crappy hand and told to go win the pot. He went "all in"" for AJ, Carey, and Gordon when he was "short-stacked." It really was his only play; he had to gamble and hope to hit on at least one of them. He lost.

Also, fair or not, any new head coach is going to want a fresh start with his hires in place, with minimal ties to a losing past.

He made some good choices and some very visible bad choices. No doubt it was time to part company, but I wish him better luck in his next job.

Back
Top Bottom