Comments on the Offensive Line | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comments on the Offensive Line

Early Train of Thought

Well we appear to be set at 4 spots. I'm starting to think that Carey will indeed be the LT. It seems like that's been predestined by this staff, but also due to the fact that the other guys have their spots locked up, being that they are 4 of the 5 best linemen on the team.

I don't know why it took so long for my lightbulb to go on, but the current positional assignments really aren't to be read into. With the exception of a few starters, everybody was lining up somewhere other than where they lined up in '04. And I think the reason why ties into the "everybody learns every position" mantra. I think the ability to play multiple positions will play a major part in who makes the team and who doesn't.

I think St. Clair is unquestionably the top reserve, as he can pretty much play anywhere. I think Wade Smith sticks at backup center if for no other reason than him being the only other guy getting time at center. And the staff seems to think he could have a future there. McInstosh probably sticks because he's an big, experienced veteran at LT (which means he can play RT too).

I think Cook and Whitley will end up competing for the last spot on the line. We've already seen Cook at tackle, while Whitley has only played left and right guard (that we know of). He did see a very small amount of time at tackle early in college, but nothing in the pros. Still, with two swing tackles already behind the starters, pure guard play could win out over versatility.

Alaibi is too light right now I think. PS material. Tony Pape could also get into the mix when he returns from Europe. We'll see.

You know, there is a storm a'brewing over in New Orleans between Wayne Gandy and the team. Also, Ross Verba has not signed anywhere yet.

If Gandy gets released late in the game, or Verba is still available in July...all I'm saying is we don't know if Vernon Carey is really good enough to play LT, or if he's better than Damion McIntosh, and I for one think that Gandy and Verba are both better than McIntosh. If we don't use some of our excess 2005 cap room on a CB like Ty Law, I certainly have no qualms about using it to get a good LT. As Gandy's agent said, Gandy graded out between 90 and 95% in every single game last year, and the one he didn't grade out that well, was just 89%. How do you think Damion McIntosh graded out last year?

ckparrothead said:
How do you think Damion McIntosh graded out last year?

I don't even want to try to figure that one out. I'd probably be close enough just guessing 0%.

Congrats on 10k posts CK.

I saw that today. Shame we couldn't land him. At 34, he still has only missed one game his entire career. I wonder if they actually will follow thru on this thing. Could New Orleans be looking for a way to get Jon Stinchcomb in at LT?? This will be his third season. And they did spend the 37th overall pick on him.

Gandy is easily a better LT than McIntosh. I personally don't think Verba is that great. I doubt either guy commits the number of false start penalties that McIntosh does. But Damion is better in the run game than those two (he'd probably be a good guard). I think Verba's attitude is what makes him attractive.

Anyway, I was looking at Damion Cook and something caught my eye. Cook entered the league as a tackle. But in late 2003, the Ravens moved him inside. In last year's mini-camp, they had him snapping the ball. He was the top interior backup until Mike Flynn came back. Then he was released. Two weeks later he was starting at right guard for the Browns.

Now the Phins are giving him time at tackle again. This kind of versatility could aid him in competition with Whitley. But again it may come down to pure guard play.

I can't wait for August.

I think Ross Verba is easily better at LT than Damion McIntosh, and that includes back when Damion was semi-decent with the Chargers (and I do mean SEMI)

Back
Top Bottom