compare the 72' team and this one! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

compare the 72' team and this one!

FACEMASK01

Practice Squad
Reaction score
ok..i know it's early in the season, but has anyone taken the time to really see how the fins are playing football these days! i see alot of similarities between this dolphin team and the 72' team, for example look at how miami controls the ball with it's ground game with ricky williams, reminds me alot of zonk in those days! and how about miami's qb's not great but gets the job done. fiedler like griese throws the short ball nicely keeping drives alive, and the defence!! really reminds me of that undefeated squad of 72' with it's stout DE'S and CB'S who can shut down great opposition like eric moulds and curtis conway! is zack thomas reminding anyone else of nick buonticonti?....let's see what happens from here on!! they say history always repeats it's self!

It's funny how Zach is the forgotten man but his playing the best ball since his been here..

Yes, I have to say Sunday night, that's what it reminded me of. I never thought I'd say this, but Ricky is a more productive back than Csonka. He doesn't have the attitude, but he's every bit as tough and more elusive.

Wow, i was thinking this lately but kind of disagreeing with myself becuase i think the attitude was much more WWll like. those guys never let down for anyone. shula ruled with an iron fist. They didnt make many mistakes that is for sure, so i cant see it fully yet but things are changing.

Originally posted by FACEMASK01
ok..i know it's early in the season, ...

Come on FM, let's not get carried away. It is early in the season. Back in 1984, when the team was 10-0 or 11-0, the Miami Herald ran an article that week comparing the 1984 Dolphins to their 1972 bretheren. Miami was at SD that week and you know what happened... they lost in OT. So, let's let the chips fall where they may and just enjoy the ride.

clear.gif

MM first of all nobody's getting carried anywhere!

if you read my post MM you'll see i said there are alot of similarites between that team and this one, so your comment about me getting carried away was uncalled for especially from a fellow dolphin supporter such as yourself!!

A comparison to the 72 team, well not really. This one has already lost.
The similarties are:
A quarterback named Greise out with a foot area injury
A love of running the ball
Only 1 good threat wide reciever
A very large guard wearing #66
The #61 phased out at center for a promising newcomer

Differences are:
Ricky is a much better back than Kiick and Mercury were combined
Madison and Surtain are much better than the 72 corners
Knight and Marion are not as good as Scott and Anderson were at safety
No way should Todd Perry even be alloed into the same area as Bob Kuchenberg

I would add to the differences section that '72 had the No-Name defense. '03 has the Big-Name Defense.

I agree with everything in your post... except this really wasn't a fair comparison:

Originally posted by mf52dolphin
Ricky is a much better back than Kiick and Mercury were combined

Jim Kiick was a 2nd string back who still gained 500 yards. If you want to compare backfields... take a look at Morris/Csonka vs Williams/Konrad. There I think it evens itself out... I'd much rather have Williams over Morris... but on the same token, would rather have Csonka than Konrad. I couldn't imagine having Larry Csonka in his prime, teamed up with Ricky....THAT would be scary! :eek:

its hard to compare the two becuase it was a different era. football has evolved so much since then but the running game and control style of football is there for sure. If the Defense can keep doing that everyweek on the road especially, then we may have something special.

If we did win the rest of our games that would be a hell of a trip wouldnt it? everyone would say we lost our first game to Houston!!!? no way.

Originally posted by IceStorm
Csonka was a fullback, not a halfback.

No $hit. As I said initially, Ricky's a more productive back than Csonka; just as tough and more elusive.

Originally posted by Agua

No $hit. As I said initially, Ricky's a more productive back than Csonka; just as tough and more elusive.

Well the jury is still out on "just as tough" as Zonk. When Ricky gets a unnecessary roughness call for toten the rock we'll consider it.

BTW, I think Zonk still holds that distinction.

Ricky is awesome! Zonk was brutal.

I liken Zonk to a four wheel drive hi horsepower tractor. Unstoppable! Clock killer.

Ricky is like a muscle car. Strong with speed...but...with exception to last sunday hasn't been the clock killer due to to many break away runs.

I think a better comparison for Ricky would be Earl Campbell. Time will tell.:D

Back
Top Bottom