Comparing Henne with "Slinging Sammy B" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Comparing Henne with "Slinging Sammy B"

dolphans1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
There has been recent debate whether or not we should keep Henne, work on Henne, draft a new QB and so on.

I have seen many comparisons, Henne being compared to some great Hall of Famer's and so on.

But seriously, can Henne become a great QB...?

Is it fair to compare Henne, with "Slinging Sammy B"....?

They both have similar numbers and both teams (Rams and Dolphins are 6-6), yes I know that Henne didn't start in 2 of those, so is it fair to say Henne is 5-5 this season, or can we meet halfway and just say he's 6-6 of 6-5?

Both QB's played for a big college and both played for a National Collegiate Championship...?

Here is an interesting tale of the tape amongst the greats....(Hall of Famers...) Some of these first years numbers are shocking.

With that being said, can Henne become a Hall of Famer....? How bout Sammy Bradford?

Record QB rating TD-INT
Sam Bradford (1st yr) 6-6, 81.0, 17 -10
Chad Henne (3rd yr) 6-5 , 77.5, 12-15

Troy Aikman 0-11, 55.7, 9-18
Terry Bradshaw 3–5, 30.4, 6–24
Len Dawson 0-1, 69.8, 0-0
John Elway 4-6, 54.9, 7–14
Dan Fouts 0-5-1, 46.0, 6-13
Bob Griese 3-7, 61.6, 15-18
Sonny Jurgensen 2–3, 53.6, 5 - 8
Jim Kelly 4-12, 83.3, 22-17
Dan Marino 7-2, 96.0, 20 – 6
Peyton Manning 3-13, 71.2, 26-28
Joe Montana 0-1, 81.1, 0-1
Warren Moon 3-13, 76.9, 12-14
Joe Namath 3-5-1, 68.7, 18 -15
Bart Star 0-1, 65.1, 2-3
Fran Tarkenton 2-8, 74.7, 18-17
Johnny Unitas 3-4, 74.0, 9-10
Steve Young 1-4, 56.9, 3-8​

Henne has played well with all this pressure on him this season. It's been a mess on the sidelines. I can only imagine how all those meetings have been each week. He's played it cool and did the best he could with a very quiet running game. That has to be considered here.

But when you look at his style of QB, you see a game manager. He plays best when there is a good running game. He plays best when he doesn't force throws. So far, I don't see a guy that can win games solely on his throwing ability. He has a good arm. He can throw it deep sometimes. But if Henne is to thrive, he has to be in a complete offense. And offense that runs the ball well. And offense that calls plays that allows everyone to shine. The point is not to put it all on Henne's shoulders. I just don't think he is that type of QB yet.

Maybe if we could just get a solid offense around him he could grow into more after a few consecutive playoff appearances. Confidence grows. You build that. Miami hasn't had confidence in years because they can't win enough games each season.

Two issues. First Slinging Sammy is reserved for Sammy Baugh. Second, Henne never competed for a national championship. Finally, Henne would sit behing Bradford if they were on the same team. There is no comparison.

Basically, you are saying that Henne, in his third year, is comparable to quarterbacks still in their first year? What about comparing Henne to those quarterbacks in their third season? Henne has made zero improvement.

Let's make a good comparison! How about Drew "The Statue" Bledsoe!?!?

Back
Top Bottom