comparing the 02 bucs and 03 fins on paper..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

comparing the 02 bucs and 03 fins on paper.....

The Beach Bum

Communication Artist, DSOA, WPB.FL
Reaction score
This team is becoming more and more like the 2002 buc's every day...

-One all star receiver(chambers and johnson), two decent ones...
-better o-line than the buc's
-better runningback then the buc's(ricky over pittman)
-pro-bowl calibur FB (konrad and alstott)
-decent QB (fiedler and johnson)
-better TE than the buc's (mcmichael over dilger)
-all star DE (taylor and rice)
-all star DT(bowens and sapp)
-better MLB than buc's (Zach over quarles)
-worse OLB than buc's (Brooks over JR)
-better CBs than buc's (pat/sam over barber/???)
-better safetys than bucs (brock/sam over lynch/???)
-better kicker than bucs (mare over gramatica)

wow, we might be better than the bucs....

They are better than us at DT, and we are better at DE.

At CB, their second corner is Brian Kelly, who is good, but nothing near our corners. Our corners are way better than theirs.

Bucs have Gruden...

We have Dungystedt...

Therein lies the difference...

Gramatica is better than Olindo Mare.. Garamtica over Mare anyday..
Sapp brings the element of a pass rusher at DT but Miami is the much superior Run defending defense but Buccs may have the slight edge in Pass defense because of the Pass Rushers they have along the D-line.. Also, Chambers and Johnson are not in the same league, Keyshawn is superior and is proven while Chambers is touted on potential.. Other than that..... I AGREE

:drinker:

In my book you forgot a couple things:

-The main difference between the 2 teams is COACHING.
Gruden is the best in football and Monte Kiffin on the defensive side might be the best DC in the business.
-I wouldn't rank CC as an all-star receiver YET.Us dolfans hope he's on the verge of breaking out and we fully know he's capable of it but he hasn't done it number and consistency wise.

Also a factor is DEPTH
-i'm not a big fan of Keyshawn, i prefer Mccardell who went under the radar and is a lot quieter than Keyshawn.
Jurevicius was also big down the strech for them (can our number 3 do the same?)
-I'm not sure Chester is as good as Anthony Mcfarland who should be a Pro Bowl DT in a year or two.

And finally i realize this is on paper but to move forward we have to get over the December hump..:sceptic: .On the other hand the Bucs will have every team on their tail playing their best against them...
I think we definately are close but certainly not better than the Bucs

You forgot they played with a lot more heart than we have. Our defense likes to give up when the end of the season rolls around.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Gramatica is better than Olindo Mare.. Garamtica over Mare anyday..
Sapp brings the element of a pass rusher at DT but Miami is the much superior Run defending defense but Buccs may have the slight edge in Pass defense because of the Pass Rushers they have along the D-line.. Also, Chambers and Johnson are not in the same league, Keyshawn is superior and is proven while Chambers is touted on potential.. Other than that..... I AGREE

:drinker:

I take Mare over Gramatica anyday. Mare had one down season otherwise he is one of the best ever.

I agree their pass rush is better but our run D is better.

I think KJ is overrated and not superior to Chambers but their top three wrs performed better than Miami's last year. I believe Miami's top three this year can perform as well or better than TB's.

TB's main advantage is coaching. I like Wanny but TB believes in Gruden more than Miami believes in Wanny.

I don't like Wanny much, but Wanny does have something to prove.

With Gruden's forte being offensive playcalling, and us having Norv, I'd have to say coaching is a stalemate.

Originally posted by chicago dolphin
With Gruden's forte being offensive playcalling, and us having Norv, I'd have to say coaching is a stalemate.

TB's advantage is in belief not scheme. I don't much care for Gruden's O. He doesn't go vertical enough for my tastes. I think given the same players Turner outperforms Gruden 9 out of 10 times. The diff. is that Gruden has won over their players to a greater extent than Wanny has won over his.

You can't argue that Gruden's offensive mind is the reason the Bucs won the Superbowl. With that little bit of talent he manufactured enough offense to supplement their stellar D.

And I believe Wannstedt is a better leader than he is perceived to be. He's just not as cool as Gruden...lol.

Beachbum: -One all star receiver(chambers and johnson), two decent ones...

QB comparison: Fiedler vs. Johnson

Brad Johnson is a very good quarterback that is underrated. Fiedler is a mediocre QB, at best.

WR's comparison: Not even close. Chris Chambers needs to get 1000 yards before I consider him a real #1. Your other guys are unimpressive.

RB: Not even close. Miami wins this one.

O-Line: I can't speak for Tampa Bay on this. Offensive lines are hard to judge. TB's line looked bad early in 2002, but got better as the year went on. They have an amazing o-line coach who does the best he can with mediocre talent.

Miami's line looks good when runblocking, but I think it needs to be upgraded talent wise. Can't say that your line is better at this point. TB's line played big and played big in THE PLAYOFFS.

Gruden vs Wanny & Friends:

Gruden is one of the BEST in the business. Wanny is fighting for his job.

Originally posted by chicago dolphin
You can't argue that Gruden's offensive mind is the reason the Bucs won the Superbowl. With that little bit of talent he manufactured enough offense to supplement their stellar D.

And I believe Wannstedt is a better leader than he is perceived to be. He's just not as cool as Gruden...lol.

Gruden's O was impressive compared to Dungy's. And Gruden did a great job of preparing his team against Oakland. But I don't think his scheme is all that and certainly not on par with Turner's.

That coolness factor is important. Wanny is not a good speaker and his most common facial expression is confusion. Many fans and I'm sure some players read that to mean Wanny is stupid. I don't agree, but that perception has an effect. Being a leader is not just based on your ability but also on perception of your ability.

Hey, I'm on the Turner Bandwagon like you'll never believe. Back when he was with the Cowboys and I was following them because of JJ. He's God. Noone better in the league. But Gruden's in the same class. If Gruden had Miami's talent, he'd be a beast as well.

As for Wannstedt, his power lies in his decison of when to use it. He's very supportive and protective of his players to the point of almost coddling them (always calling them "kids" even though they're in their mid to late twenties), but where he sees a problem, he acts swiftly. Case in point, the Gardener situation, the Westhoff situation. He strikes me as someone who lets the players figure out things on their own, that being the best way for them to mature. He just sort of nudges and hints at things. Not as cool and not well-received by fans who love things like the "Chuckie" grin, or the "Cowher" chin, but could be just as effective.

QB: Not close... BUCS
WR: Not close... BUCS
RB: Not close... DOLPHINS
O-Line: Pretty close.
DE: EQUAL.
DT: BUCS
LB: BUCS
S: BUCS
CB: DOLPHINS
Coaching: Not close... BUCS
Heart: Not close... BUCS
Ability to win big games: Not close... BUCS
Choking: Not close... Dolphins

There is my unbiased review of the 2 teams...

Back
Top Bottom