comparing the 02 bucs and 03 fins on paper..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

comparing the 02 bucs and 03 fins on paper.....

I wouldn't say they are better at safety. They have Lynch but who is their FS? Do you know? Neither do I.

We have two Pro Bowlers at safety in Knight and Marion.

The Bucs aren't that good at LB. Brooks is excellent, but Quarles isn't that special. We have two good LBs in Seau and Thomas. We are at least tied at LB.

I'd rather have Seau + Thomas all year long than Derrick Brooks...

2 pro-bowlers that can still play at a high level vs. 1 really really really good probowler...

Unless you got to Griese and paid him off to destroy the dolphins from within like you did with Agent 006 Ray lucas....dont count on winning vs the fins this year jet fans :)

The only reason people are comparing these two teams is because the Bucs won the super bowl. Aside from both of these teams being defensive teams, they are not that alike. The strengths are in different spots.

DE is definitely in our favor, it was the Bucs' ability to penetrate with their defensive tackles that allowed scrubs like Greg Spires and company get sacks. Marcus Jones syndrome. I've always said it that when you've got DTs that penetrate it makes it real easy for DEs to rack up more sacks. You could see it back when Keith Hamilton was a good penetrating DT for the Giants, you could see it clearly with the Bucs and Warren Sapp, and you could even see it on the Phins when Gardener was healthy for 10 games in 2000 and Trace Armstrong was racking up 16.5 sacks as a part-timer. Not taking anything away from Simeon Rice he's awesome but they didnt have a very impressive DE rotation at all it just got the job done cuz of the DTs.

And how do you figure the Bucs' safety situation to be better than ours? Far as I know they let Dexter Jackson go off to the Cardinals and they still never replaced. Currently they have 3 safeties rostered to my knowledge, by the names of T. Merrill, J. Howell, and John Lynch. Is Lynch THAT good that he alone is better than Brock Marion (2002 pro bowler), Sammy Knight (2001 pro bowler), and Arturo Freeman? I mean come on.

Based on 2002 I'd hand linebacking corp to them slightly, tie overall in DL, tie overall in secondary and I think thats only fair because they were the best defense in the league and we were not. For 2003 I still give them slight edge in LBer corp until Junior Seau proves his talents will shine in this defensive style, I give a tie to DL, and give us the advantage in the secondary.

But being defensive teams is where the comparison stops. They are a passing team, we are a running team. They run a west coast variant offense, we run a Coryall variant offense. Just because you're comparing the two teams, dont make them similar.

BTW our offensive lines are NOT "pretty close" Our OL paved the way for the leading rusher in the NFL (2nd overall team rushing) and allowed merely 25 sacks which was 7th in the NFL. Their OL allowed 41 sacks which puts them 23rd in the league, and they rushed for 27th place in the NFL. On no planet is that "pretty close" Thats just Jet homerism.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The only reason people are comparing these two teams is because the Bucs won the super bowl. Aside from both of these teams being defensive teams, they are not that alike. The strengths are in different spots.

DE is definitely in our favor, it was the Bucs' ability to penetrate with their defensive tackles that allowed scrubs like Greg Spires and company get sacks. Marcus Jones syndrome. I've always said it that when you've got DTs that penetrate it makes it real easy for DEs to rack up more sacks. You could see it back when Keith Hamilton was a good penetrating DT for the Giants, you could see it clearly with the Bucs and Warren Sapp, and you could even see it on the Phins when Gardener was healthy for 10 games in 2000 and Trace Armstrong was racking up 16.5 sacks as a part-timer. Not taking anything away from Simeon Rice he's awesome but they didnt have a very impressive DE rotation at all it just got the job done cuz of the DTs.

And how do you figure the Bucs' safety situation to be better than ours? Far as I know they let Dexter Jackson go off to the Cardinals and they still never replaced. Currently they have 3 safeties rostered to my knowledge, by the names of T. Merrill, J. Howell, and John Lynch. Is Lynch THAT good that he alone is better than Brock Marion (2002 pro bowler), Sammy Knight (2001 pro bowler), and Arturo Freeman? I mean come on.

Based on 2002 I'd hand linebacking corp to them slightly, tie overall in DL, tie overall in secondary and I think thats only fair because they were the best defense in the league and we were not. For 2003 I still give them slight edge in LBer corp until Junior Seau proves his talents will shine in this defensive style, I give a tie to DL, and give us the advantage in the secondary.

But being defensive teams is where the comparison stops. They are a passing team, we are a running team. They run a west coast variant offense, we run a Coryall variant offense. Just because you're comparing the two teams, dont make them similar.

BTW our offensive lines are NOT "pretty close" Our OL paved the way for the leading rusher in the NFL (2nd overall team rushing) and allowed merely 25 sacks which was 7th in the NFL. Their OL allowed 41 sacks which puts them 23rd in the league, and they rushed for 27th place in the NFL. On no planet is that "pretty close" Thats just Jet homerism.

ck, i couldnt have said it any better myself.... thats the way to prove people wrong, USE COLD HARD FACTS!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom