Compensatory draft picks.

pigskinguy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
1
Location
North of the Border
I have been away and out of the loop for a week or so. I apologize if this as been covered. But before I went away, a lot ofguys were complaining that the Dolphins didn't receive any picks. Well here is the rule as per NFL.com

"Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks."

Under that criteria, the Dolphins don't desereve any picks. Last off-season the Dolphins sign alot more and better free agents than what they lost. Easily.
 

Steve S

Hammered
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
pigskinguy said:
I have been away and out of the loop for a week or so. I apologize if this as been covered. But before I went away, a lot ofguys were complaining that the Dolphins didn't receive any picks. Well here is the rule as per NFL.com

"Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks."

Under that criteria, the Dolphins don't desereve any picks. Last off-season the Dolphins sign alot more and better free agents than what they lost. Easily.

I wasn't a big Todd Wade fan but given the play of our O-line and the huge contract and bonus that Wade got from the Texans can you honestly say we got better free agents than the one we lost?

No, you can't.

Problem is that the NFL management council hides behind vague and ambiguous language that they can manipulate any way they want to after the fact.
 

pigskinguy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
1
Location
North of the Border
Steve S said:
pigskinguy said:
I have been away and out of the loop for a week or so. I apologize if this as been covered. But before I went away, a lot ofguys were complaining that the Dolphins didn't receive any picks. Well here is the rule as per NFL.com

"Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks."

Under that criteria, the Dolphins don't desereve any picks. Last off-season the Dolphins sign alot more and better free agents than what they lost. Easily.

I wasn't a big Todd Wade fan but given the play of our O-line and the huge contract and bonus that Wade got from the Texans can you honestly say we got better free agents than the one we lost?

No, you can't.

Problem is that the NFL management council hides behind vague and ambiguous language that they can manipulate any way they want to after the fact.
You most certainly can say we got better FA than we lost.
Todd Wade was the only big-time FA the Dolphins lost (If you call Wade big-time which I don't.)
We signed Damien McIntosh, Jeno James and Reggie Howard. If you think this team is better with Wade than McIntosh, James and Howard, well, then, I can't help you.
Fact is we signed better FA's then we lost. That means we get no comp picks.
 

Steve S

Hammered
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
pigskinguy said:
Steve S said:
You most certainly can say we got better FA than we lost.
Todd Wade was the only big-time FA the Dolphins lost (If you call Wade big-time which I don't.)
We signed Damien McIntosh, Jeno James and Reggie Howard. If you think this team is better with Wade than McIntosh, James and Howard, well, then, I can't help you.
Fact is we signed better FA's then we lost. That means we get no comp picks.


"Signed better players than we lost"

Yes, I would gladly take Todd Wade back if it meant that DMac, James and lil Reggie were never Dolphins.

In a heartbeat. We'd be a much better team due to the addition by subtraction principle.

Which of the three players we signed (D Mac, Howard, James) played at a consistently high or even acceptable level as Todd Wade did all year?

Answer: none of them. In fact, Howard and D Mac were consistently AWFUL all year and James was either OK or below average all year.

I do not believe that the signing bonuses of the three scrubs we signed would equal the 10 mil that Bob McNair gave to Wade.

The only argument you and the NFL win is the quantity one and its a weak one at that. Three times nothing is still nothing.
 

pigskinguy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
1
Location
North of the Border
Steve S said:
pigskinguy said:
Steve S said:
You most certainly can say we got better FA than we lost.
Todd Wade was the only big-time FA the Dolphins lost (If you call Wade big-time which I don't.)
We signed Damien McIntosh, Jeno James and Reggie Howard. If you think this team is better with Wade than McIntosh, James and Howard, well, then, I can't help you.
Fact is we signed better FA's then we lost. That means we get no comp picks.


"Signed better players than we lost"

Yes, I would gladly take Todd Wade back if it meant that DMac, James and lil Reggie were never Dolphins.

In a heartbeat. We'd be a much better team due to the addition by subtraction principle.

Which of the three players we signed (D Mac, Howard, James) played at a consistently high or even acceptable level as Todd Wade did all year?

Answer: none of them. In fact, Howard and D Mac were consistently AWFUL all year and James was either OK or below average all year.

I do not believe that the signing bonuses of the three scrubs we signed would equal the 10 mil that Bob McNair gave to Wade.

The only argument you and the NFL win is the quantity one and its a weak one at that. Three times nothing is still nothing.
While Howard certainly under-performed at times and was inconsistent, I would call him awful.
McIntosh played poorly early while he was still recovering from his injury. I thought he played well later in the season.
James was one our most consistent linemen last year and only got better as the year went on.

You obviously place Wade at a WAAAAAAAY higher level that I do.

And just because McNair was dumb enough to give Wade all that Jack, doesn't mean he is worth it.
 
Top Bottom