Compensatory picks in 2014 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Compensatory picks in 2014

rent this space

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Considering we saw multiple former Dolphins have productive seasons in 2013 is there any chance at multiple picks being awarded to the Dolphins?

We signed too many free agents last year to be eligible.

ETA: You need to lose more than you sign plus the ones lost have to play well / get good contracts. The Mike Wallace deal was the big contract that wiped anything we could have gained away. Also, players we cut don't count towards the loss.

ETA: You need to lose more than you sign plus the ones lost have to play well / get good contracts. The Mike Wallace deal was the big contract that wiped anything we could have gained away. Also, players we cut don't count towards the loss.

Where do you come up with this stuff? lol

Ah, I was counting on the good seasons from Dansby and Burnett.

Doubt it.

Cut players don't count. (Dansby and Burnett)

Next year though, depending on Starks/Soliai/Clemons/Grimes we could be looking at something nice.

I'm sure the Patriots will get a first rounder or something for a 3rd string long snapper cut during OTA's.

"We signed too many free agents last year to be eligible." Where do you see this?

Inferred from "Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks." We signed Wallace, Ellerbe, and Wheeler all to very large contracts. Players of more or less equal contracts lost were Jake Long and Reggie Bush.

In essence we signed too many high profile free agents to be eligible this year. I agree my initial post wasn't the most articulate but I think it still holds water.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not getting any this year.

even with us losing Jake Long, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush and Anthony Fasano we are not getting anything? i figured we were going to be looking at a 4th or maybe even a 3rd for Reggie alone.

We signed Ellerbee, Wheeler, Wallace, Grimes, Gibson,
We lost
Bush, Long, Smith, FAsano

Inferred from "Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks." We signed Wallace, Ellerbe, and Wheeler all to very large contracts. Players of more or less equal contracts lost were Jake Long and Reggie Bush.

In essence we signed too many high profile free agents to be eligible this year. I agree my initial post wasn't the most articulate but I think it still holds water.

That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain, as it was far from clear, and my apology.

Back
Top Bottom