Compensatory Picks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Compensatory Picks

If the team isn't doing anything with their regular allotment of picks, If they see someone in the bottom tier and they think he may be better than some schmuck rated higher, then go get them. But it's the fans rates the player and scrutinize the team for "reaching" for players, i agree New England gets a haul every year because they win with any player regardless of they pick him so can virtually give a good players in order to restock their system.

Compensatory picks have been a disaster of an idea in my opinion. Clearly the two Superbowl teams getting massive hauls means the system is broken. Why on Earth do we need to reward teams for having smart front offices? That's already a reward in itself.

I still think the idea was a good one......reward teams for developing talent. Another year with the 49ers and Trent Brown may have been looking around for a one year contract and a chance at a starting gig. One year in NE and hes going to get elite LT money. If that's with another team then they do deserve some compensation.

To me there just needs to be more incentive to re-sign homegrown talent to counter the reward offered for letting someone go. Jawuan James should have the opportunity to be a Dolphin for life if he and the team want it. The obvious way would be to reduce the cap penalty.

System is fine. Dolphins are run/were run by mental midgets.

How can you say a system is fine that sees the two Superbowl teams getting massive additional benefits handed to them from the league? Why do we need a system that allows that to happen?
System is fine and if the Dolphins let James and Parker walk, which they should, we'll get some compensatory picks next year provided we don't spend big in free agency.

I do find New England's compensation a bit odd though...I don't think any of those guys signed big contracts and the Pats also signed two guys in free agency to offset a couple of the guys they lost. I don't think they should have gotten 4 comp draft picks.

What irks me is that we as fans(the paying customers) sit here and wonder how NE and LA got those picks...when that should be transparent. Why isn't the formula for assigning comp picks made public so any one and everyone can calculate and understand why certain teams get a haul, and others don't?
I figure it has to be because teams would let guys walk for the picks and manipulate the system and it would hurt free agents, so the union and the league want the formula kept a secret. Still, not sure if that's good or not.

System is fine and if the Dolphins let James and Parker walk, which they should, we'll get some compensatory picks next year provided we don't spend big in free agency.

I do find New England's compensation a bit odd though...I don't think any of those guys signed big contracts and the Pats also signed two guys in free agency to offset a couple of the guys they lost. I don't think they should have gotten 4 comp draft picks.

They lost Butler and Solder who both signed big contracts.

I'm not saying the system is unfair. Any team can play it to their advantage. But my point is that the teams who are good are usually the ones with good front offices. Good front offices are the ones who know how to take advantage of the system. All compensatory picks do is create a new way for already good teams to stay good.

Considering were about to rebuild it will hopefully work out for us next year if we're smart and don't sign hardly any free agents. But I still just don't think its good for the league as a whole.

How can you say a system is fine that sees the two Superbowl teams getting massive additional benefits handed to them from the league? Why do we need a system that allows that to happen?

Because they lost talent and smartly acquired players who were either cut and or traded for players.
Why does it matter where they ended up record wise/playoff wise?

So, if the Rams went 7-9, you wouldn't have an issue with them getting 2 comp picks, but since they went to the SB those picks should be downgraded?

The good teams pick late in the draft, and their comp picks are basically early 4th rounders.

We got a ton of comp picks Irelands last year and Tannabaums 1st we used 2 picks on Howard and 3 on Carroo. That's trading backwards.

Because they lost talent and smartly acquired players who were either cut and or traded for players.
Why does it matter where they ended up record wise/playoff wise?

So, if the Rams went 7-9, you wouldn't have an issue with them getting 2 comp picks, but since they went to the SB those picks should be downgraded?

The good teams pick late in the draft, and their comp picks are basically early 4th rounders.

I'm looking at it from a bigger picture than that. But yes, if it was teams who didn't do well the year before consistently getting the best draft hauls, than maybe the system would have value. Why do we need a system that allows the best teams to exploit it? They already know how to best work FA and the draft. We really needed to invent another way?

Back
Top Bottom