could the early bye be actually good for us? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

could the early bye be actually good for us?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
When I first took a look at our schedule I hated it and I hated the early bye week. Now I've been thinking about it and I wonder if it could help us. Just trying to look for a positive here since is the offseason. We normaly play early at home but this year we're not playing at home much early. The team always seems to wear down at the end and I was wondering if all the early games in that heat has anything to do with it? Is like the cubs used to start out good every year and then would slow down later cos of all the day games.

Maybe I'm just imagining things but not playing so much at home early and having the bye on week 3 might help. What do you guys think?

BTW, I still hate the schedule.

Ozzy rules!!

I think the bye will help because they could evaluate the games they just played and see what needs to be adjusted or not.

We technically get another mini-bye after the Dallas game.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
We technically get another mini-bye after the Dallas game.

EXACTLY!!! People have been complaining about the "short week" going into the Dallas game, but it isn't a disadvantage because the Cowboys have the same short week, and after that, we have so many days off that it is like having another bye week.

Just beat the Cowboys is all I ask for my birthday present (yes, I was born on Thanksgiving).

TO be short, the answer is no...the bye week will hurt us big time. We usualy kick *** in the first couple months of the season because Miami's so hot and our schedule is loaded with 1pm home games. This year we have almost no 1 pm home games till the weather starts cooling off. Then we get a bye week when we could be inflicting some pain on a deserving team. I think this schedule totally blows. You are right though the XL break we get after the Thanksgiving game might be enough to help us keep it together. Just my opinion though. I can't wait to be watching the Phins on Turkey day, that will kick *** I'll need some Red Stripes that day for sure.

I think the heat kills our guys and it translates into the later part of the season.

We practice in 95 degree weather all the time.

Wtf do I know though ;\

We all know the heat just tears your body up.

There us absolutelty no advantage to having a bye week this early in the season. It makes no sense. There should be an NFL rule that a bye week cannot come until after week 8. That way, the bye week will do for the team what it is suppose to do, and that is let the tired team rest up a bit. At week 3, this team is still going to be fresh, and the early bye week may actually be counter-productive.......

I see both sides of this argument and all I can say is that is probably won't matter much either way. I agree that the heat- while a huge advantage early in the season- may be one of the things that causes the downfalls later in the year so hopefully that will change. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see though...like everything else this year.

Originally posted by Expo88
I see both sides of this argument and all I can say is that is probably won't matter much either way. I agree that the heat- while a huge advantage early in the season- may be one of the things that causes the downfalls later in the year so hopefully that will change. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see though...like everything else this year.

Now without coming off as a total ahole, I have a question. I have lived in south Florida for 25 of my 29 years. How does the fact that you played in the heat for three hours on a sunday affect you two months later?....We now return you to your regular programming.

Thurman Thomas said that compared to the fins traning camp, the bills camp is like a vacation resort. We tried smashmouth , hard training the first year Greg Williams came in (2001) and we ended up the most injured team team that year.

The fins have time and again had injuries to major players down the stretch. I think a bye week down the stretch would benefit the fins based on the fins history of late season breakdowns. You always start the season great anyways, I don't think you need an early bye week.

Thanks, Justafan. This is my view as well. The late bye would be a big help for December.

I do think the Dallas game will help. But, the problem with the short week is not just that it's short (of course, Dallas has a short week also). The problem is we play a Sunday night game against the Skins, then must travel to D.

That makes it tougher. It's almost impossible for these guys to get any sleep on Sunday night after a night game - they'll get home about 1-2 and be wired from the game. It takes a bit to wind down.

An afternoon game gives the players a chance to unwind in the evening and get some sleep.

Then we have to travel as well. So, it will be tough. But, I don't care if the T-day game is 10-9 - as long as we get out with a W.

Back
Top Bottom