Could this be part of the problem

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BSQ, Jan 7, 2018.

1. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I was watching the Jacksonville Jaguars against the Bills and suddenly they showed Tom Coughlin on the screen. Tony Romo stated that Coughlin has his finger prints all over this team and that's why they're tough and well disciplined, play good defense etc.

I began thinking that Tom Coughlin has an equal position of authority that Mike Tannenbaum has, both guys operate above the GM and report to the owner. So what are the differences between these 2 guys and who would we rather have building our roster?

Tom Coughlin- has been either a Head Coach or a coordinator at the NFL level for 20 years. He has won 3 Super Bowls.

Mike Tannenbaum-Attorney, Agent-brought to the Jets to do the salary cap and contracts and he eventually destroyed the Jets salary cap and was fired. He got a job as an agent with Priority Sports and Entertainment until the Dolphins lured him away with a big job and salary. Are we stupid beyond belief????????????

Bottom line-there is no hard core Football guy overseeing things. Steve Ross doesn't know Football, Tannenbaum doesn't either. Gase knows some things but he's a first time Coach with a ton of stuff on his plate, too much. I really don't know what Chris Grier does except report to Tannenbaum. I know we tried the Guru thing before and it back fired but who can we look to that would give us a positive feeling about the near future of the Miami Dolphins?

artdnj, maralieus and Chuck-182 like this.
  2. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Not a coincidence that Coughlin is there and the team made the playoffs - even w that horrid QB.

artdnj, Dolph N.Fan and Chuck-182 like this.
  3. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

House will be cleaned in 2019
    Let’s all give The Big Posters Tannehill and Gase one more year. Ill make sure to start saving posts

elite14eva likes this.
  4. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm giving Gase many more years but you keep hoping.

5. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I honestly don't think this team is gonna be making much noise as far as postseason goes until Ross and Tannenbaum are both gone.

6. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

2 straight years of being the 2nd most penalized team in the NFL, doesn't bode well for any coach outside of Oakland.

Spiff and miamiron like this.
  7. royalshank

Hahaha - clearly an old time fan who remembers how penalized they used to always be?

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  8. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Yep. Art Shell and others were some doozies.

royalshank likes this.
  9. PortFin

PortFin Well-Known Member

Everyone seemed to love him last year and now they hate him this year. Let's see what year 3 brings before we chase him out of town. I'd be inclined to give him more than one more year unless next season is truly disastrous

matt11390 likes this.
  10. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

The combo of Coughlin and the jags being really bad fo the last several seasons has now yielded them a roster with guys like

Jalen Ramsey
    Telvin Smith
    AJ Bouye
    Malik Jackson
    Calais Campbell
    Leanord Fournette

Just to name a few....those are all all pro or pro bowl type guys and every one of them is young except Campbell.

While the Dolphins combo of Tannebaum and constistantly winning around 7 or so games a year, has yeilded us a roster with guys like

Jarvis Landry
    Suh
    Rashad Jones

and a whole lot of average players.

11. andyahs

No let's keep calling for a new coach every two years because that brings stability.

12. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

That’s how bad Miami was this year. The hot seat cushion Gase built with a 10-6 playoff season wiped out already. That’ll happen when the team didn’t get better anywhere across the board.

13. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I would start saving your posts but most of them are useless. I bet you can't wait to root against this team next year. Season is not even over and we are getting quality Tannesmith gem posts from you

14. Bob512

Bob512 Formerly Dolphins512 Finheaven VIP Donator

LOL....ok, you do that....

RVAPhinFan13, traptses and andyahs like this.
  15. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Our front office is dreadful. This has been a problem for a long time

randomname and DefensiveEnd76 like this.
  17. royalshank

I agree w the OPs premise that it’s entirely possible Tannenbaum doesn’t really know football.

kevphin and DefensiveEnd76 like this.
  18. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

Mike Tannenbaum is a proven loser. What makes anyone think he'll be any different here? He left the jets with a roster with little talent in cap hell. He got the ball rolling with the Suh contract and I'm sure will make another draft/fa splash this year to try to save his job.

So yes, Coughlin is making a huge difference in Jax. We should have hired him 2 years ago to right this ship. Right now it's rudderless with a first time HC surrounding himself with a bunch of loser buddies.

ForksPhin and DefensiveEnd76 like this.
  19. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

If Tannehill started this season and we made the playoffs, we would be praising Tannenbaum and Gase. The fortunes of NFL teams come down to one player sometimes.

andyahs likes this.
  20. andyahs

No one is pumping up Tannenbaum like you claim but Gase is far from hiring losers. He is hiring people who he is comfortable with and who know him. No issues with that as you should surround yourself with those you trust.

21. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Coughlin is so much better than Tannenbaum it's laughable.

BSQ, kevphin and randomname like this.
  22. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

He should surround himself with proven, experienced, coords. He's a first time HC trying to learn on the job. Surrounding yourself with a bunch of inexperienced coaches is a recipe for disaster.

McVay hired Phillps as his DC. He has HC experience and is an invaluable resource. Both of Pedereson's coords have HC experience. Those experienced coords will dictate what they want from their position coaches. Right now we have the blind leading the blind.

BSQ, ForksPhin, Chuck-182 and 2 others like this.
  23. andyahs

Send Gase these notes then. Could prove valuable.

24. royalshank

This is the big miss w Gase and co. No people on the staff with HC or coordinator experience etc.

Chuck-182 and randomname like this.
  25. randomname

randomname A True Fan

The hell we would. We would have probably improved our point differential by 100 points or so but that's still middle-of-the-pack and we're already in cap hell thanks to Tannendumbass. There is not a god damn thing to compliment that snake on besides his ability to bull**** owners into thinking he knows what he's talking about.

26. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Gase would rather hire a bunch of nobodies as his assistant head coaches. He just wants to hire people he knows, even though those people are not very good.

Chuck-182 and Dolphins81 like this.
  27. nate5413

nate5413 Rookie

Tannebaum sucks plain and simple. This whole thing about wanting to restructure Suh tells me all I need to know. He's killed our cap and we'll continue to. He needs to go

DefensiveEnd76 and randomname like this.
  28. ac_lanham

ac_lanham The Comeback Kid

How can we be so bad for so long, across multiple regimes? Could it be our scouts? I understand many of them have been employed by the Dolphins for a long time.

DefensiveEnd76 likes this.
  29. randomname

randomname A True Fan

When Tannenbaum is running the team you have to blame the guy who hired him. The owner. There is literally NO excuse for him to have a job in the NFL. None. At all. It's like I'm living a nightmare every time I think about how our owner let Tannenbaum... TANNENBAUM!... run out the only half-way decent GM we had in years. Maybe Hickey would have failed, but what kind of business drives out a guy who has done his job so far in favor of... ****ING TANNENBAUM!

I haven't been hard on Ross for a lot of the stuff he's done as the owner, but the Tannenbaum decision is inexcusable and that single decision is ruining years of possible development for this entire organization.

30. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Before this year, Jags were one of the worst teams in football for years. This gave them the chance to draft players high almost every season. Miami hasn’t been good but they’ve been a little too far back in drafting to select truly elite players.

You’d think Cleveland would be all-world with how many picks they’ve had lately but one team has to be inept forever I guess.

HeyHoLet'sGo and rickd13 like this.
  31. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Can you even name the Jags Head Coach without looking him up? Or any of their staff?

32. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That would be the smart move, but instead he is starting to remind me of Philbin by surrounding himself with coaches that's aren't capable of taking his spot if he's fired mid-season.

kevphin likes this.
  33. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I know right, it's hard to keep hearing the constant chatter of replacing HCs after two or three years

34. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Marrone has a good mix of experience and young coaching talent. Plus you can't discount the presence of Coughlin.

35. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan Finheaven VIP

All I know is that the Jets overachieved this year and have $100M in cap space. The Dolphins played their usual lousy season and have around $17M in cap space. You tell me if Tannenclown deserves his position?

36. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Gase got few years. Ross will fire Gase but still keep T Bum. That's our problem

37. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Let's also not forget that TBum would have accepted a Woody demotion to capologist if prospective candidates to replace him hadn't had a problem with him still being in the front office. So essentially Ross hired as football czar a Peter Principle'd out GM who would have been happy reporting to a GM!

Of course then there's his lackey Grier, who Tbum used to circumvent the Rooney Rule. You know, Chris Grier, a mediocre, middle level personnel good soldier who only sniffed GM jobs when used as a minority prop by other teams. It's just as likely that with a real football man coming in to run things, Grier would have been sent packing instead of being de facto GM Tannenbum's useful idiot.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  38. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

Plus, Tannenbaum is a complete joke. I can’t believe this bum still has a job. The OP pointed out that TannenBUM is an attorney. I didn’t know that but now everything is clear to me. Attorneys are smooth ****ing liars who will always find a scapegoat. No wonder he is still around and not going anywhere. Ross is too stupid to see though the attorney BS.

Coughlin Has always been a hard *** and build teams with depth. I lived in Jacksonville in 95 when the Jags started. I wish we had someone like him in the FO running our team. Hell, Peyton Manning even with no experience would be an upgrade over the bum we have now.

39. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

If Tom Coughlin was such a genius as a general manager, he wouldn't have picked up Bortles fifth year option and trotted him out on the field every week. He is literally the worst quarterback I have ever seen throw a pass in the NFL. How is it possible for a guy to make it to an NFL level and not be able throw a spiral or complete a three yard pass? Can you imagine how many games Jacksonville would have won if they just had a crappy qb? They would be a super bowl contender with just better than average qb play.

Coughlin isn't the reason that team is good, it is because they have been bad for so long they were able to invest a lot of premium picks on super talented defensive players and they all gelled at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Dakar001 likes this.
  40. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I was a big proponent of bringing Coughlin in when we had the chance.