Couple questions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Couple questions

popularwar

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Nick Saban said he planned on drafting Corey Webster in the second round but he was taken just ahead of us by the Giants. What I'm wondering is, if we had gotten Webster would we have drafted Daniels? We could have two good, young corners that are already comfortable with the system. Daniels has a good shot at starting for us come september 11, and Corey Webster is supposedly the better of the two. I wish things had worked out that way, not only would we have depth but also experience and youth at a position where things are starting to look grim.

My other question, (I'm sure this has been asked before, though maybe not recently) is whether or not Sam Madison could be moved to safety eventually. Rod Woodson made the move from corner to safety and played very well at both positions. Then again, Woodson is one of the better defensive backs in recent history and a future hall of famer. With Madison "losing a step" is it possible he could be moved to safety in the future and leave Poole and Daniels at corner? The only reason I suggest it is because there's a chance Madison could be beaten out for the starting corner job next year, but we'd still have a big cap hit if we released him.

Just some thoughts I woke up with, I appreciate any input.

I don't believe that Sam Madison could make the transition from corner to safety. First of all Sam Madison doesn't seem to like contact which means he obviously couldn't play SS. If the move was to FS he would need to cover the deep ball and occasionally a TE. He's lost a step in terms of speed and quickness and wouldn't be physical enough to cover a TE. Sam Madison best years are behind him and his decline has been rapid. Sam would have been the ideal corner to release or trade this year had Wansteadt not give him the guaranteed contract. Now we simply have to wait until his contract expires to recoup his cap figures. I truly believe to be on this team he should be making the NFL minimum for a veteran. He was good at one time, but you need to show consistency to deserve the contract he is getting and he just isn't very consistent anymore.

Back
Top Bottom