Cromartie Makes the Most Sense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cromartie Makes the Most Sense

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It is apparent we plan to fill some glaring needs through free agency. Drew Brees, I believe, will be our next QB, and it looks like Mawae may be our center this year. Both signings would make sense because our offense needs the stability and leadership of proven veterans, particularly at center and QB. There are plenty of young skill players to go around, so bringing in these guys to show the kids how to win makes sense.

In the draft, Bunkley or Ngata could drop to us, but it looks like they'll be taken before we pick. I like Watson, but there are many questions about his consistency and with the possibility of bringing in a cheap vet like Sam Adams and giving more playing time to Vickerson and Wright, DT is starting to fade as a first round possiblity.

That leaves the defensive secondary and offensive tackle as the two most glaring needs. Both positions are deep in this draft, thankfully. I guess a lot depends on how Houck feels about Alabi and Carey. If there is a comfort level there, and I think there might be, a veteran tackle through free agency, to back them up, makes more sense. Besides Houck has such a history of taking low round draft picks and turning them into stars.

I think secondary is the way we go in the first, especially with Sam being cut. To me, Cromartie is the logical choice. He comes from a great program, FSU, that has produced a few decent DB's (Deion Sanders comes to mind). He is tall at 6'3", just the way Saban likes them. Boomer reported that Cromartie recently ran a 4.39 - Cromartie has been a track star since High School, so speed is not an issue with him. He, of course, had the torn ACL almost a year ago, but that has apparently healed or he wouldn't have run a 4.39.

He has fluid hips, great hands (he played WR for FSU in practices), and is a major ball hawk - has great feel for the ball and closes the deal with interceptions. These are qualities you just can't teach. He is simply the most gifted, pure cover corner in the draft. Tye Hill is awesome, but he's 5'9" and doesn't have the hands that Cromartie has.

Cromartie is also a gifted returner (both punt and kickoff), which makes him even more valuable to us. We need to give Wes some help, particularly with punt returns. Besides, Cromartie has the speed to hit the home run.

The ONLY reason I could see passing on this guy is concerns about his knee. If that checks out, we should draft him in a heartbeat. To read more on him, here's a decent write up from NFL DraftBlitz

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/Profiles/antoniocromartieprofile.htm

I agree, I like him alot. I think it is our secondary that really needs work, granted we make some move else where in FA. I was hoping that we could draft a S in the first, and maybe Cromartie would fall to us in the second the way Crowder fell because of his knees. I do hope we can get Cromartie, but it would be sweet to get really lucky

I wouldn't mind us picking him. He would be my favourite DB likely to be on the Board (Huff will be long gone).

However I doubt he would fall to the No. 16 pick unless teams have medical concerns.

I'd love him or Lawson. I feel that our defense is solid, we could draft Greenway or Hill but I feel these guys will be solid performers but not game changers. Lawson and Cromartie are playmakers. We have lots of solid players that are consistent performers but we need more playmakers. Either of the other two would work out well but I just feel that Cromartie or Lawson add that playmaker to our defense. Cromartie would help the biggest hole we have back there in the secondary. You can't pass in a shutdown corner unless his knee doesn't get a passing grade or someone drops unexpectedly.

love cromartie I say we trade down with denver giving them a 1st and 2nd for 2 1st and draft cromartie and lawson. Thats my dream draft right there

dolfan3431 said:
love cromartie I say we trade down with denver giving them a 1st and 2nd for 2 1st and draft cromartie and lawson. Thats my dream draft right there

I doubt they would make that trade. Even tho that trade is even they just won't do it. I would love to have Cromartie in a Dolphins uniform becuase he is a great player.

Skeet84 said:
I doubt they would make that trade. Even tho that trade is even they just won't do it. I would love to have Cromartie in a Dolphins uniform becuase he is a great player.

You never know, they could use the 16th pick to grab either Jackson or Holmes. Either of which they could really use.

SpeedRush99 said:
You never know, they could use the 16th pick to grab either Jackson or Holmes. Either of which they could really use.

This is true, But they are in talks about trading one of those picks to the Jets for John Abraham.

It's hard to say where Cromartie's value is, since we don't know what the medical reports say and what the scouts are seeing. Most draft boards have him late in the 1st or early 2nd. If he's in any kind of shape, he'll never last to our 2nd round pick. That means trading down a few spots to get him at a good value pick makes the most sense, but trade downs are difficult, especially this year when the draft is so deep.

If Cromartie is healed up and ready to go, I say he makes a great choice at #16. He fills a huge need, is a great playmakers, adds speed to our defense (which is badly needed), gives us a tall (6'3") DB to handle the tall WR's, and he can help us with kick returning. He represents a lot of value, if healthy.

I like Cromartie too but he has to show me that the times he posted at the Combine was a fluke and he has indeed recover from his hip injury. The 4.39 he ran was before the combine and at a private workout. I'll wait to see what he does at FSU's Pro Day on the 18th to see if he's worth a 1st rd pick.

Skeet84 said:
This is true, But they are in talks about trading one of those picks to the Jets for John Abraham.

Atlanta is also supposedly interested in Abraham.

is it for sure yet that Abraham went to the Broncos for the #29 pick? I thought I rea tha somewhere, or maybe thats what they were trying to do

I have a feeling Cromartie could be there when Miami picks in round 2. I'd go Greenway, Huff, Lawson, McNeil or Carpenter with the #16 pick.

Hes not worth a 1st rd pick the guy isnt ready to play....We need guys on Draft day that can come in and make a difference.

He didnt play and its the NFL not College...Teams will eat him alive....2nd yes 1st no.

Back
Top Bottom