Crowder or Pope | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Crowder or Pope

Wasn't Crowder a question mark before the draft because of his bad knees?

Syra39 said:
Wasn't Crowder a question mark before the draft because of his bad knees?

He's had knee injuries in the past but he's played a couple of years since. Also the medical report said he had no greater risk of a knee injury han any other player. That whole thing was overblown.

this question is crazy......

lets see, who would you rather have? a taller, faster, heavier, more athletic LB or Derrick Pope? Tough one......

Pope at the moment will have to really impress to even stay on the team. He is much smaller than the other LBs on the team, not to mention that Saban moved him outside, so he is no longer a MLB. (it was in one of the PBP articles during camp)

He played ok in Zach's absence. Not great, not bad. I really think a lot of people are really overrating him here.

Right now, I think this is who makes the team:

Crowder, Thomas, Seau, Spragan, Turner, Ayanbadejo (ST skills), and Moore

if Flemons plays well in TC, I could see him taking Moore or Ayan's spot. I mean, who wouldn't want a LB thats 6'6, 276?

I like Pope quite a bit, but I see a perennial probowler in Crowder. I watched a lot of UF games the last couple of years and I thought he was easily the best player on that D. It reminded me of the Offerdahl years. Where one player was head and shoulders above the rest of the D. It wasn't quite as pronounced b/c UF's D wasn't that bad, but Crowder came in as a freshman and started from day 1. He was the leader of that D from day 1 as well. I had Crowder rated as a first rd pick and I posted several times that IMO he will be better than Derrick Johnson (who went early in the 1st). BTW I said this long before Miami drafted Crowder or there was even any thought that Miami would have a chance at him.

Dudeman said:
Pope at the moment will have to really impress to even stay on the team.

He's probably the #1 back-up at MLB behind Zach right now. If not, who is???

LB E. Moore has less of a chance making the team than Pope IMO....

He is much smaller than the other LBs on the team, not to mention that Saban moved him outside, so he is no longer a MLB. (it was in one of the PBP articles during camp)

Zach is pretty small too. It's what's in your heart that makes you great IMO. Also, I never heard anything about Pope being moved outside. Saban may be experimenting with Pope in various defensive schemes, but I highly doubt anything has been set in stone for Pope right now....

He played ok in Zach's absence. Not great, not bad. I really think a lot of people are really overrating him here.

For a rookie, he played better than ok. MLB has been a huge weakness when Zach isn't starting. When Pope stepped in, we seemed much less vulnerable than in previous years when Zach was laid up. That's what I saw, and I think Pope played very solid in his place....

I don't look at it as "overrating" anyone. Pope has earned his respect, and I'm looking forward to seeing him improve even more with experience....

Who's Turner???...I guess he's the one who you like over Pope???...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Lionel Turner is a Saban proto type linebacker at 6-2, 260lbs, and from LSU.

Are you basing your roster spots on what Wanny did last year?

Dudeman said:
this question is crazy......

Since Saban is mentored by Bellichick and he carries about twenty (slight exageration, but only slight) LBs on his roster, is there not a strong possibility they all make it (this year at least, may later be replaced by guys Saban considers more prototypical)?

BLITZKRIEG said:
He's probably the #1 back-up at MLB behind Zach right now. If not, who is???

Zach is pretty small too. It's what's in your heart that makes you great IMO.
I don't look at it as "overrating" anyone. Pope has earned his respect, and I'm looking forward to seeing him improve even more with experience....

I'll try to find the article.....it was in the PBP that said he was moved to OLB.

here you go:

There's also a question of where players will line up. Tony Bua already has switched from linebacker to safety, and Derrick Pope has been moved from inside to outside linebacker.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/06/10/a6c_dolphins_0610.html
Right now, the top backup is Channing

Its what's in the heart that makes you great? I didn't know Fiedler was one of the best QBs of all time....:confused:

Turner is Saban starting MLB from the LSU the past few years. He is 6'2, 260

GazPhin said:
Since Saban is mentored by Bellichick and he carries about twenty (slight exageration, but only slight) LBs on his roster, is there not a strong possibility they all make it (this year at least, may later be replaced by guys Saban considers more prototypical)?

Belichick only kept 2 QBs, does that mean Sage is gone? Saban is his own man. Even though his forte is defense, he wont just just copy everything that Bill did and expect it to work.

I think Zach,JR and Spragan will start, but Crowder and Pope will definitly get some good playing time in Saban's Defense.JMO

Back
Top Bottom