Currently 9th Pick in the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Currently 9th Pick in the Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
If the season ended today, at the halfway point in the season, Miami would have the 9th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. That could put them in a position to trade up for Matt Leinart or in the neighborhood to get Vince Young if he does declare. Of course, there would be a lot of potential great choices picking that high including Jonathan Scott of Texas who would be a nice building block at LT. As much as the team needs a LT, I think a franchise qb would make an even bigger impact and Leinart would certainly be a possibility with that high of a pick.

NO THANKS on Young or trading up. Depending where we end up, and how players stocks rise and fall, we need to take Mr. Cutler where ever necessary.

kastofsna120 said:
leinart falling to 9? lol. i'd take jon scott easily though

No I didn't say Leinart would fall to 9, but that the Dolphins would potentially be in a position to trade up for him. I expect him to be the 1st player drafted, probably through a trade.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
No I didn't say Leinart would fall to 9, but that the Dolphins would potentially be in a position to trade up for him. I expect him to be the 1st player drafted, probably through a trade.

How much would you be willing to give up for him? to trade up?

SpeedRush99 said:
How much would you be willing to give up for him? to trade up?

That really is the question. I think if Miami is somewhere in the top 10 they have a chance to get him, otherwise they probably won't even be in the discussion. I'd give up two #1's for Leinart, although I don't know what the infamous "chart" says is appropriate to move up from #9 to #1.

I look at this year's team and although there are a lot of holes, with good play from the quarterback the Dolphins could be 5-3 or better right now. I think Leinart could start right away and be pretty effective.

Two #1's huh? Wow. Personally I don't think the value is there. Its much to earlto seriously debate about this given we don't know what will happen between now and then with draft stocks rising and falling, injuries, FA, etc...... But IMO it would be of better value to go with a stud lineman (O or D) first round, Jay Cutler in the 2nd (really don't think he'll last past the first), then if not bfore we absolutely need to address our secondary.

as much as i like leinart, 2 first rounders for him is steep. then again, if we pay him 1st pick money, we probably wouldn't be able to afford a 1st round pick next year anyway

# Team W-L SOS
1 Green Bay 1-7 .531
2 Houston 1-7 .534
3 Tennessee 2-7 .512
4 New Orleans 2-7 .539
5 New York Jets 2-6 .500
6 Baltimore 2-6 .519
7 Arizona 2-6 .535
8 San Francisco 2-6 .543
9 Miami 3-5 .466
10 Detroit 3-5 .477
11 Cleveland 3-5 .489
12 Buffalo 3-5 .489
13 Minnesota 3-5 .500
14 Oakland 3-5 .527
15 St. Louis 4-4 .469
16 New England 4-4 .523
17 Philadelphia 4-4 .558
18 San Diego 5-4 .578
19 Chicago 5-3 .446
20 Tampa Bay 5-3 .454
21 Jacksonville 5-3 .473
22 Kansas City 5-3 .519
23 Dallas 5-3 .558
24 Denver (from Washington) 6-2 .566
25 Carolina 6-2 438
26 Seattle 6-2 .457
27 Atlanta 6-2 .462
28 Pittsburgh 6-2 .462
29 Denver 6-2 .500
30 New York Giants 6-2 .508
31 Cincinnati 7-2 .450
32 Indianapolis 8-0 .432

SpeedRush99 said:
Two #1's huh? Wow. Personally I don't think the value is there. Its much to earlto seriously debate about this given we don't know what will happen between now and then with draft stocks rising and falling, injuries, FA, etc...... But IMO it would be of better value to go with a stud lineman (O or D) first round, Jay Cutler in the 2nd (really don't think he'll last past the first), then if not bfore we absolutely need to address our secondary.

I haven't seen Jay Cutler yet, but that could be another way to go. I like Brodie Croyle, although he has been injury prone. Take that away and he would probably be talked about as a high pick as well. Not too many other qb's out there that look all that great, unless some of the juniors declare and Miami needs someone who is a definite upgrade at the position.

Getting an offensive linemen in the first round would make a lot of sense as that is a huge need as well. That said, I do think Matt Leinart would be worth two #1's. He has that rare field vision that was always talked about with Dan Marino and looks like a true franchise quarterback.

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I haven't seen Jay Cutler yet, but that could be another way to go. I like Brodie Croyle, although he has been injury prone. Take that away and he would probably be talked about as a high pick as well. Not too many other qb's out there that look all that great, unless some of the juniors declare and Miami needs someone who is a definite upgrade at the position.

Getting an offensive linemen in the first round would make a lot of sense as that is a huge need as well. That said, I do think Matt Leinart would be worth two #1's. He has that rare field vision that was always talked about with Dan Marino and looks like a true franchise quarterback.

I think you would really like Cutler if your a fan of Croyle. Very similar players with Cutler having just as much toughness but a stronger arm and bigger frame. I hadn't seen much of him until last weekend. I knew he was good but seeing him last weekend against my Gators made more of an impression on me than any player ever has(besides Marino). He's definitely the real deal.

Wow, way too early to talk draft... we still have half a season left... who knows where we'll end up.

But I'll play this game... at that stage in the draft, I think the best value would probably be an olineman or CB. Being that our line is actually playing real well... I'd vote for CB.

Edit: or QB... if there is still a star there... That would obviously be my first choice.

It would be one of these guys if we picked 9th
Marcus MnNeill OT Auburn
Chad Greenway OLB Iowa
Rodrique Wright DT Texas
Eric Winston OL UM
A.J. Hawk LB UO
Jimmy Williams CB VT

Back
Top Bottom