cut howard, sign law! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cut howard, sign law!

The $3 million cap hit is Howard's present charge to Team Salary (cap charge).

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=57995

The $750k dead money charge is correct for the signing bonus but as Clumpy has pointed out before, any roster bonus paid before a player's release has to be added. Alex Marvez of the Sun-Sentinel just pointed out today 6/19/2005 that it is believed that Howard's $1.25 million roster bonus has been paid so the dead money charge is now $2 million.

This yields a cap savings of $1 million and a net cap savings of $620k.

:couch: :rasp:

painnotpleasure said:
Exactly! That's the only flaw I see in this idea (which in theory wasn't such a bad idea whatsoever). If we do release Reggie Howard, the cap hit would be $3 million! A positive though is, if we had released him before June 1st, the Dead Cap would have been $3.75 million, but since it's after June 1st, the Dead Cap is only $750K. I hate to say it but I don't think that there would be anyway that we could afford to release Reggie Howard. On a positive note though, I think he could end up being pretty good and productive for us if he wins the starting job opposite of Sam Madison.

That's what always seems to get lost here. People are always proposing trades or suggesting we cut player x and sign player y without taking the salary cap into consideration. It's just not that easy to do in the NFL with how the cap works. The $3 million hit for cutting Howard would likely mean the team couldn't afford to sign Law.

If it was possible to get rid of Howard without taking a cap hit, I think we would have done it earlier.

Those espn dudes are saying all the time that the fins will suck mostly cause we lost Pat Surtain. I wanna sign Law just to see what they'll say.

Howard appears to have been a waste of money (hindsight is 20/20) that we will be stuck with until we can afford to dump. I would like to get Law but doubt he will take what we're offering.

Merman said:
The $3 million cap hit is Howard's present charge to Team Salary (cap charge).

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=57995

The $750k dead money charge is correct for the signing bonus but as Clumpy has pointed out before, any roster bonus paid before a player's release has to be added. Alex Marvez of the Sun-Sentinel just pointed out today 6/19/2005 that it is believed that Howard's $1.25 million roster bonus has been paid so the dead money charge is now $2 million.

This yields a cap savings of $1 million and a net cap savings of $620k.

:couch: :rasp:

I've read the Cap forum as well and I believe you are correct. If that's all the savings cutting Howard would gain us then I would rather see him come into camp and see if the light comes on for him there. While to most of us $620K is a lot of money, within the cap structure, I doubt that will be the differance of how much we will need to possibly sign Law.

rickysux said:
with all this talk of howard not being back in 06' why not just cut the guy and give the money to law? i would feel much better with law,madison,daniels,edwards than madison,daniels,howard,edwards.
give law a contract with a low salary this year with a big bonus in 06' that way if he is not what he use to be we just cut him.

sizzzzzzzalary cap. If it was that easy, it would have been done already.

Ohiophinphan said:
I've read the Cap forum as well and I believe you are correct. If that's all the savings cutting Howard would gain us then I would rather see him come into camp and see if the light comes on for him there. While to most of us $620K is a lot of money, within the cap structure, I doubt that will be the differance of how much we will need to possibly sign Law.

I don't doubt your opinion considering Law's agents are the Poston brothers. My post was to help others who do not understand the salary cap consequences of releasing Howard now and in particular the $3 million cap hit. I never gave an opinion about Law or Howard in my post only information so others could form an opinion using salary cap information.

The only problem is some are so oblivious they do not recognize correct information when provided.

BTW I am familiar enough with the CBA to correctly quote the rules and dispute what is written in the cap forum explanations. But thanks for your vote of confidence. :)

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=70276

Merman said:
I don't doubt your opinion considering Law's agents are the Poston brothers. My post was to help others who do not understand the salary cap consequences of releasing Howard now and in particular the $3 million cap hit. I never gave an opinion about Law or Howard in my post only information so others could form an opinion using salary cap information.

The only problem is some are so oblivious they do not recognize correct information when provided.

BTW I am familiar enough with the CBA to correctly quote the rules and dispute what is written in the cap forum explanations. But thanks for your vote of confidence. :)

Merman = Cap homey. :up:

Merman said:

Fully agree, I have noted your positions before and respect them. Thought my post made that clear though your response makes me wonder if you thought I was dissing you? Nothing could be further from the truth. Then again, sarcasm is hard to read/imply in print.

Also didn't remember the Postons were involved. That makes life tough for the front office.

its so weird how people seem to know so much from just a single article being printed in the Sun Sentinel..

Ohiophinphan said:
Fully agree, I have noted your positions before and respect them. Thought my post made that clear though your response makes me wonder if you thought I was dissing you? Nothing could be further from the truth. Then again, sarcasm is hard to read/imply in print.

Also didn't remember the Postons were involved. That makes life tough for the front office.

No I didn't think you were dissing me. I only replied to you because you understood and I thanked you. I also included the smilie to try to show a friendly attitude. I am glad you asked so we could straighten that out. :)

If you are not familiar with my Salary Cap Chart:

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/DolphinsSalaryCap.htm

Back
Top Bottom