Cutler: a matter of opinion ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler: a matter of opinion ?

I don't think he's overrated. He has all the physical tools, he's just unproven. I think he would be great value at 16, but I wouldn't trade up for him.

SpeedRush99 said:
I see your point. But I don't agree that one pick would set your team back a whole draft. Thats ridiculous, especially when you consider our 3rd and 4th round picks from last year started almost the entire season. I also think the QB postion is an exception to the rule, you have to do what you gotta do to get yourself a franchise QB. Its been too long since this team has even had a glimpse of one. Does that mean reach for one? Of course not but if the value/opportunity is there you take it.

If you screw up a 3rd or 5th round pick...you'd hate that but life goes on...there's a reason why players are placed in rounds. Any team that makes a mistake with their first rounder...hasn't done their job.
While I agree that special players should be looked at differently than others, the term franchise that you have wrote, is loosely used...and more so when the drafts are weak at a position as QB, as it is this year. The worst thing a team can do is draft out of desperation...if your going to select a QB...that QB has to be as close to ready, as close to a sure thing...as you can get, Otherwise you are gambling on that player. Some players have such a high side that it makes it worth the risk...but they are few in numbers.
As a fan I wouldn't want my team to gamble...unless there's such a chance of getting a player who has shown he can win under pressure, he can win in big games...thats what I would want. Save the players with unknown factors for the later rounds...for each pick has a value to it...and in our case...when your already short a few picks...you don't have room for errors. I trust Saban and Mueller will do their jobs....regardless of whom they select.

fishypete said:
If you screw up a 3rd or 5th round pick...you'd hate that but life goes on...there's a reason why players are placed in rounds. Any team that makes a mistake with their first rounder...hasn't done their job.
While I agree that special players should be looked at differently than others, the term franchise that you have wrote, is loosely used...and more so when the drafts are weak at a position as QB, as it is this year. The worst thing a team can do is draft out of desperation...if your going to select a QB...that QB has to be as close to ready, as close to a sure thing...as you can get, Otherwise you are gambling on that player. Some players have such a high side that it makes it worth the risk...but they are few in numbers.
As a fan I wouldn't want my team to gamble...unless there's such a chance of getting a player who has shown he can win under pressure, he can win in big games...thats what I would want. Save the players with unknown factors for the later rounds...for each pick has a value to it...and in our case...when your already short a few picks...you don't have room for errors. I trust Saban and Mueller will do their jobs....regardless of whom they select.
Okay, I really don't see how thats any different than what I wrote. I wasn't using the term "franchise" loosely, I mean it in its exact meaning. A player that you can count on to lead your team and build around.

SpeedRush99 said:
Okay, I really don't see how thats any different than what I wrote. I wasn't using the term "franchise" loosely, I mean it in its exact meaning. A player that you can count on to lead your team and build around.

Who can you count on? Marino wasn't known as franchise QB...until, he proved it on the field...see my point. Every QB in this draft has one problem or another...there's none that can say he's going to be a great one or the other guy is going to be a great...when it comes down to it...it's all risk done thru a process of hoping you made the right decision, when it's your turn to select. And if anything is a sure thing in the draft...it's all in the eye of the beholder. One team loves Leinart...one doesn't...One team loves Young...one doesn't...one team loves Cutler...one doesn't.

fishypete said:
Who can you count on? Marino wasn't known as franchise QB...until, he proved it on the field...see my point. Every QB in this draft has one problem or another...there's none that can say he's going to be a great one or the other guy is going to be a great...when it comes down to it...it's all risk done thru a process of hoping you made the right decision, when it's your turn to select. And if anything is a sure thing in the draft...it's all in the eye of the beholder. One team loves Leinart...one doesn't...One team loves Young...one doesn't...one team loves Cutler...one doesn't.
Exactly, which is what I'm saying. If there is a QB Saban feels he can count on he'll take him, if not then he won't. As you said its all in the eye of the beholder, which in this case is Saban.

SpeedRush99 said:
Exactly, which is what I'm saying. If there is a QB Saban feels he can count on he'll take him, if not then he won't. As you said its all in the eye of the beholder, which in this case is Saban.

See we agree...that wasn't so hard...:lol:

Every QB is overrated due to the importance of the position and scarcity of talent starting currently in the NFL. The best player this year is D'Brickshaw Ferguson. He won't be drafted until probably the 5th or 6th pick. So be it

adamprez2003 said:
Every QB is overrated due to the importance of the position and scarcity of talent starting currently in the NFL. The best player this year is D'Brickshaw Ferguson. He won't be drafted until probably the 5th or 6th pick. So be it

I wouldn't count out anything yet...it's too early...and this feels like a draft that will see a few trades...maybe one that has the Dolphins involved. Everyone is speculating that Saban will move up for one of the QB's...well we don't if he will or won't trade up...and we don't know if he does...that he won't go after another player...like the brick.

Phishstix said:
cutler is toolsy and is overhyped, but he has 1st round talent. croyle is not better than him from a measurables and talent standpoint, but is a solid prospect in his own right.
Exactly. But add in the garbage injury concerns about Croyle and how flukey they were.... like having someone land on your leg and breaking it cause it bent wrong? Getting hit and falling on your shoulder wrong? Thats stuff that can happen to any qb. Croyle's stock is taking a hit because people have injury concerns about him. They shouldnt though cause in reality hes a tough qb who knows how to play within an offense.

From a measureables standpoint hes a guy with a very very nice arm, good accuracy (with a tendency to overshoot deep passes), decent mobility, and strong mechanics. The biggest weaknesses are his deep throws and the fact that he holds the ball too low when he hands off which has led to fumbles during the exchange....basically stuff that can be worked on.

I feel that once again the draft is lacking a "true" franchise QB
If history is an indicator one of these QB's will fall, like Rodgers last year and
Pennington a few years back.
My gut says Leinhart will fall mostly due to his lack of arm strenght.

I would guess that Saban will not over pay for a QB most are correct here in stating that Croyle or Whitehurst could be had in rounds 2 or 3.

Boik14 said:
Exactly. But add in the garbage injury concerns about Croyle and how flukey they were.... like having someone land on your leg and breaking it cause it bent wrong? Getting hit and falling on your shoulder wrong? Thats stuff that can happen to any qb. Croyle's stock is taking a hit because people have injury concerns about him. They shouldnt though cause in reality hes a tough qb who knows how to play within an offense.

From a measureables standpoint hes a guy with a very very nice arm, good accuracy (with a tendency to overshoot deep passes), decent mobility, and strong mechanics. The biggest weaknesses are his deep throws and the fact that he holds the ball too low when he hands off which has led to fumbles during the exchange....basically stuff that can be worked on.

at a shade over 200 lbs, wouldn't you say that croyle is a little undersized for the nfl, or is that a 'garbage' concern as well?

mcteems said:
Cutler has talent. I'm sure he will develop into a pretty good QB. Croyle seems like more of a question mark than Cutler. Although Croyle does have talent as well. Croyle will need more time to develop in the NFL than Cutler.The problem is with Cutler costing a first round pick when he is arguably only the third best QB in the draft. Miami may be able to get the best or second best player at another position with the #16 pick. There will be alot of good defensive players on the board at 16. Players that could make an immediate impact in 2006.I like the idea of Miami spending a lower pick on a QB and then developing that guy. There is less gambling involved. Miami could use a 2nd or 3rd pick on a QB. Whitehurst grabbed my attention in the Senior Bowl. I heard he played well against the tougher teams in his senior year of college as well. Miami could most likely get him in the 2nd round.
And Marino was drafted when after how many others QB's......right! Enough said

LIQUID24 said:
This may shock you, but some people saw Rodgers play more than once.... that's why they liked him. You're a typical Finheaven poster. Watches one game and pretends to know what he's talking about. You're no better than some of the sheep here.
If I recall correctly, Cal was expecting to go to the Rose Bowl but Texas slipped in there. Rodgers was without a couple of his top wideouts for the game vs Tech also. As average as he looked vs Tech, Rodgers was amazing vs USC last year.

Back
Top Bottom