Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

That makes sense, but it doesn't incorporate the fact that Tannehill's yards per completion under Gase during that period were 10.7, while during the period under Lazor they were 10.6, just a tenth of a yard fewer. Gase was just as dink and dunk as Lazor during these periods.
Not sure where you got your stats but for 2014 we had a 6.3 ypa, in 2016 it was 7.3. That's 26th in 2014 Vs 6th in 2016. That's ypa btw

If you wanna do yards per completion which is far less useful. 9.5 in 2014 for 30th vs 10.9 in 2016 for 14th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-pass-attempt?date=2015-02-01

That makes sense, but it doesn't incorporate the fact that Tannehill's yards per completion under Gase during that period were 10.7, while during the period under Lazor they were 10.6, just a tenth of a yard fewer. Gase was just as dink and dunk as Lazor during these periods.

Good stat. During those stretch our running game was really good as well. First with Miller and then Ajayi. Ryan gets credit but the team as a whole played well.

Reactions: <O>
I believe he was referring to just the YPA during Ryan's strong multi game stretches not for the whole season if it is indeed correct.
Fair enough. Fine for evaluating Tannehill maybe but when talking about coaching I think you have to look at the entire year. Our deep game was far better under Gase then under Lazor.

I believe he was referring to just the YPA during Ryan's strong multi game stretches not for the whole season if it is indeed correct.

YPA during those stretches was 6.8 (Lazor) and 7.4 (Gase). Of course we're also talking about a QB who was two years further along in experience under Gase.

Talking about the offence as a whole for the season no doubt Gase was much better than lazor beam. Got us to the playoffs.

Fair enough. Fine for evaluating Tannehill maybe but when talking about coaching I think you have to look at the entire year. Our deep game was far better under Gase then under Lazor.

No doubt about that. Under Lazor in 2014, Tannehill's passer rating on passes thrown 21+ yards in the air was a mere 54.3. Under Gase it was 87.5.

Just for fun here's a snapshot of Tannehills deep ball for 2014 and 2016. I wish the site kept the same layout on their graphic

screen-shot-2015-04-28-at-10-19-41-pm.png

screen-shot-2017-03-23-at-12-37-01-am.png

More statistical info: Football Outsiders team passing offense rank

*2016 ranking for Tannehill's only

passing offense.png

How do you explain the fact that Tannehill's performance during his last 12 games under Lazor in 2014 was indistinct from his higher-quality stretch under Gase last year?

Maybe it's as simple as Tannehill, despite abysmal OL protection, schizophrenic coaching and unqualified mentoring, had a stretch where he was good enough to rise above all that.

Oh and that 7-1 stretch is pretty damn distinctive for any QB not named Brady.

and double oh: more than a few OC's have been fired/replaced since Lazor hit the road. Yet he's still coaching QBs. Why's that?

Last edited:
Maybe it's as simple as Tannehill, despite abysmal OL protection, schizophrenic coaching and unqualified mentoring, had a stretch where he was good enough to rise above all that.

So if he can rise above all that, why does all that matter?

So if he can rise above all that, why does all that matter?
you ever try swimming up stream? Hint: it gets exhausting when all the cross-currents are running. Did I mention 7-1 as "distinct" ?

Back
Top Bottom