D.W. On Hot Seat | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

D.W. On Hot Seat

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but if this DL ends up stinking it up again during the regular season, and the Phinz fall out of the playoff race at any time during the regular season, Dave Wannstedt may be out of a job.....

He is a defensive coach to begin with, and defense is his thing. Last season, our defense struggled hard getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run.....Those are facts regardless of injury excuses.

With Daves' experience, this is an area that I think he should be improving every season......He's done an excellent job shifting the focus to our offense, and I commend him highly for that. As a result however, our defense has looked worse. It's almost impossible to have the best of both worlds (Rams), but we already had a very tough defense before he even came to Miami.

Don't get me wrong about DW. I know him, and I've had the pleasure of talking with him a few times. He's a great guy, and a very respected head coach. I just think his decsion making on defense could use some tweaking.....We need to play a more aggressive style of defense IMO.

Who knows???.....Maybe it's DC J. Bates.

PHINZ RULE!!!:cool:

I was curious about this myself. I wonder what happens if Miami misses the playoffs this season after the couple huge off season would his job be in trouble? I agree Jim Bats should be the fitst to go. I have yet to see anything about this guy I like. Has as much talent as anyone to work with, but hasn't been able to take this D to the next level. You have to wonder though if Miami's O comes up big, but we still miss the playoffs or first round exit would Norv take Dave's job?

I agree...

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Call me crazy, but if this DL ends up stinking it up again during the regular season, and the Phinz fall out of the playoff race at any time during the regular season, Dave Wannstedt may be out of a job.....

He is a defensive coach to begin with, and defense is his thing. Last season, our defense struggled hard getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run.....Those are facts regardless of injury excuses.

With Daves' experience, this is an area that I think he should be improving every season......He's done an excellent job shifting the focus to our offense, and I commend him highly for that. As a result however, our defense has looked worse. It's almost impossible to have the best of both worlds (Rams), but we already had a very tough defense before he even came to Miami.

Don't get me wrong about DW. I know him, and I've had the pleasure of talking with him a few times. He's a great guy, and a very respected head coach. I just think his decsion making on defense could use some tweaking.....We need to play a more aggressive style of defense IMO.

Who knows???.....Maybe it's DC J. Bates.

PHINZ RULE!!!:cool:

... and if this team does not perform at a HIGH level Dave Wannstedt may just be shown the door. And I wouldn't be surprised if N. Turner would be named HC after that.

Oliver...

I think Dave hired Jim Bates to be the decision maker for defense and I think he tries to manage the game like his Mentor J.J. But he has already put some new formations in the defense, the dolphins having reveal them yet..I don't think he's really on the hot seat...He just signed an extension..He's had 2 11 win seasons..I don't think this one season will break him...He's put together a good team..they have to execute on the field..and we seem them do that, so it's in them..DG is hurting again..so getting rid of him will properly in the long run be the right move.. I think Dave will get more involved in th D. this year, but he will tries to respect the people he's brought in to do their job.

Well since Jim Bates showed up, our pass defense has ended up in the top 3 both seasons I believe. It was #1 this year, and the year before that it it wasn't #1 it was close. But our run defense has steadily declined as well. We went from a team that wouldn't allow you to run the ball on us to save your life but let up a few big pass plays, to a team that wouldn't let you pass on us to save your life but kept allowing big run plays.

The difference? In my opinion its all Brock Marion. In 1999 we played him up on the line, he had a ton of tackles, but couldn't really be counted on for picks until the playoffs came around. Then in 2000 we played strict cover 2, he comes up with like 5 picks, then in 2001 we keep with the cover 2, he comes up with another 5. Tangible results from tangible differences in scheme. Now we have to decide whether we're better off letting up a big pass play every now and then, or letting up the big run every now and then.

u cant pin all this on brock marion. im sorry. that is a bit weak. but one thing bothers me. and that is we have one preseason game in one quarter and everyone is writing this whole thing off already? this is what i saw. i saw Tim bowens not even trying. he hit the dirt. he didnt want to get hurt. plain and simple. larry chester? well he was out of position. i am not concerned as much as others are. why? cus we have depth. Haley and H Taylor are gong to be good this year. I am more concerned with adjusting and bringing 8 guys in teh box. if Bates doesnt do it. he will be gone. if thebosstells you to do something and you dontdo it. its simple your gone. if huizenga doesnt like wannstedt. hes gone. but i dont see that happening. but could we get ourselves together here and realize that we ar esimply trying to get out of preseason without injury?

Not talkin about preseason. Talkin about the defense in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

First two years Zach Thomas had a great rep cuz our run defense was stronger than all heck. Then we met Jim Bates. He made our pass defense and run defense flip-flop but let the run defense get too low...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Not talkin about preseason. Talkin about the defense in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

First two years Zach Thomas had a great rep cuz our run defense was stronger than all heck. Then we met Jim Bates. He made our pass defense and run defense flip-flop but let the run defense get too low...

ck.....why don't you coach them then??

Fact is,there are holes on every team, and this is our hole. We just have to learn to close the hole, or make it difficult for other teams to find our hole. We will be fine.

What our Fins need to do is mix it up. Cover two, 8 men in the box and blitzes. Make the opposing QB figure out what scheme we're throwing at him every play. :D

I think FinFan54 completely missed the point of that post. LOL!

Hey Chambers84. I'm just makin an observation, there's no need to be a d!ck about it.

Again guys Miami has added to their D..we haven't seem them yet..Remember Zach's statement after the game..some of the new scheme they won't be showing.

You people are all crazy. It's pre-season we havent seen what the defense is really going to do. I know for a fact that it will be more aggressive. I have seen it during practices. People, People why are we worrying about **** that we have no control over. Every team in the League except for one (The one that wins the bowl will look like there's no glaring whole on their team) will be happy. NE gaved up 450 Total yards and still won the damn bowl so all this stat this stat that. Dave is not going any ****ing where!

I believe the reason for the dropoff of the Defense,is poor OLB play!!! RODGERS play no doubt has fallen off and GREENY is still GREEN!!ROBERT JONES was a seasoned vet very tough against the run because he had experience as an inside LB!!Another thing I would like to point out is the FS(MY MAN MARION) his #1 responsibility is the PASS not the run!! As much as I hate to say it now because I liked him but GARDENER was a run- stuffing STUD!!We all know that!! CHESTER has BIG shoes to fill! I didn't see it against TAMPA!! Teams look at films and attack the weakness, the PHINS weakness is outside!! Another thing JASON TAYLOR on occassions can get manhandled and overpursues or runs himself out of the play!! He has to keep everything inside that's one of his responsiblities!! But overall this is still a good defense, a SUPER BOWL CALIBER DEFENSE!!!

Back
Top Bottom