Dan Pompei on Saban | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Pompei on Saban

Bopkin02 said:
He called Spielman competent. He must mean as a talent evaluator?
There are only fans of the Miami Dolphins, and maybe a few players who didn't like the hand they were dealt, who think Rick is incompetant. You don't hear people that actually are qualified to have an unbiased opinion saying anything but praise for Rick, and that he has a bright future in this league.

Another good read of Saban. This is starting to get me too excited to read this.

Good read, It's going to be fun watching Saban build this team into a SB contender.

inFINSible said:
There are only fans of the Miami Dolphins, and maybe a few players who didn't like the hand they were dealt, who think Rick is incompetant. You don't hear people that actually are qualified to have an unbiased opinion saying anything but praise for Rick, and that he has a bright future in this league.

People continually overlook the FACT that Speilman did NOT have final say on any draft decisions until Wanny's last year. At that point the guy was faced with having to fill an empty roster. He had to compensate for Wanny's poor roster building and Ricky's departure with enough talent to make the team competitive and save his job. I believe that pressure is what made Rick make some "desperation" moves like trading too high a pick for Feeley, trading for Gordon and the infamous trade up to draft Vernon Carey.

Spielman got a bum rap and his worth won't be seen until he gets a clean slate with another team.

It seems like this guy is impressing everyone except for some fans who don't know football, and the media. This guy really makes an impression on people.

My comment as far as Spielman being competent refers to exactly that, his talent evaluation. I do think he is certainly qualified at that, and would like to see Saban keep him on as either director of college scouting, or something of the sort. I also realize he got dealt a bum hand his first year on the job, but I thought when the pressure was on him he basically blew it. The one thing that for me is most damning is replacing the entire offensive line in a year that this team was to make a Super Bowl run. I can't imagine that anyone who knows anything about football would condone that move in a year such as 2004, with the aspirations the team had going into the season. You can argue that we couldn't keep the mediocre players we had, but he should have replaced them piecemeal over two years rather than all at once. Just not enough quality bodies available, for one, and getting them to mesh as a unit is too much work to accomplish in a year(for a mediocre line coach)

Back
Top Bottom