Dan Pompeii Article...Nice Analysis of the Marino Move | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Pompeii Article...Nice Analysis of the Marino Move

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2062944

Really enjoyed reading this and trust me for the most part I've been skimming most guys articles, especially opinion pieces, cuz they feel like garbage.

Pompeii gives a good fair analysis. The Marino move he says, seems like a figurehead window dressing, but it is a good move for the franchise.

Just read it I guess, its good.

Basically he says Huizenga did a good job lambasting people for suggesting Marino's position was a figurehead position, but he didn't do such a good job describing what it is Marino does.

Does he hire/fire coaches? Nope. (Huizenga)
Does he have say in personnel? Nope. (Spielman)
Does he decide game plans, make field decisions? Nope. (Wannstedt)
Does he work the cap? Nope. (Widmeier)
Does he do team president work? Nope. (Jones)

Compares it to both Millen and Newsome but distinguishes it by preparedness (Marino far less prepared than either), and by responsibilities (both have far more responsibilities than Marino). But he applaudes the power to sell tickets this move has, and the power to entice players. Also mentions that Marino could learn from Jones and eventually take over for him.

But mainly he applaudes the Spielman move. Says the Dolphins took a look and couldn't justify firing a coach like Wannstedt who guided the team to an average of 10 wins over 4 seasons. They also wouldn't have been able to hire anyone better considering the guys who have been hired all over the place (Green, Mularkey, Coughlin, Lovie Smith anyone?). They also couldn't justify gettin rid of a great, passionate, organized talent evaluator like Rick Spielman. He says some consider this move window dressing, but its not because the final say is now out of the hands of the head coach who by nature would be too tempted to be reactionary about his personnel decisions leading a team into a see-saw of plugged holes and newly springing other holes.

And honestly thats exactly whats been happenin over the years I think and its what prevented us from insuring our future success by getting a young QB.

I just don't uderstand people who have a problem with Marino getting this position with basicly no experiance. He's been givin an opportunity for on the job training an apprenticship sp program if you will under Eddie Jones. You have to look at the big picture and understand this is an investment in the Dolphin organization that most likely pay dividends right away.imo.

I suppose it COULD pay dividends right away. I think mainly in the future when Marino has real power plus his name to go on with the young kids he's hoping to sign/draft/etc.

For now he's selling tickets and possibly lending his name to the franchise so that guys like Manning will be more amenable toward the Phins. Peyton certainly was induced to call Marino and give a plug for his brother.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I suppose it COULD pay dividends right away. I think mainly in the future when Marino has real power plus his name to go on with the young kids he's hoping to sign/draft/etc.

For now he's selling tickets and possibly lending his name to the franchise so that guys like Manning will be more amenable toward the Phins. Peyton certainly was induced to call Marino and give a plug for his brother.

And therein lies his immediate worth. I've been behind this move from the start and the more I think about it the more I like it. He'll have an impact on who does and doesn't come to Miami, mainly in the FA arena. I can't envision a scenario where Miami is trying to coax a guy into coming over and Danny not at least getting on the phone with the guy. He commands respect, ring or no ring.

Personnel was not Wannstedt's strength in Chicago, and it hasn't been in Miami. Spielman is an outstanding talent evaluator, and that will be more evident now.

So this is the result of all the Dolphins' juggling: No one was unfairly sacrificed. They have better curb appeal. And their organization is more functional today that it was two or three weeks ago.

Nice putt, Mr. Huizenga. You da man.

:woot:

This was exemplified with Wanny's trade of a high 1st rounder for Rick Mirer.

what marino brings to the table NONE of the other executives have - football running in their veins. marino eat, sleeps, and breathes football..... always has. he has an eye for talent, knows who is good and not. although he doesn't "officially" make the decisions, you better bet he will have his .02 cents to throw into everything, and you better bet whoever makes that decision will take what marino says into account.

plus, marino can learn all the facets of team management and learn... one day become a great executive. like cbs.sportsline.com said, you have to start somewhere....

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan

ACK! mirer is like a cancer.....

Hear hear....he didn't work out too well did he?

Which QB in this year's draft is most like Mirer was coming out of college?

Don't say Losman. He isn't.

EH. As former UCLA yes, but more because alot of the Rivers supporters have put the bust sign on him before he is even drafted. It just ain't fair to do that.

Originally posted by Jaj
EH. As former UCLA yes, but more because alot of the Rivers supporters have put the bust sign on him before he is even drafted. It just ain't fair to do that.

I like Rivers too...really curious to see how these guys shake out after combine and some deep scouting.

I just think Rivers has that "take charge" kinda attitude that a guy needs to be a successful starting QB in the NFL. Smart as hell too. I like those two properties mixed together.

I thought his analyses of Marino sucked. There is nothing that suggest that Marino can't handle the Job. There is nothing in his resume to suggest that he isn't qualified from his successful businesses that he owns. There is nothing in his 17 year resume that says he doesn't understand the game. There is nothing in his resume that suggest that he would ever crack under the pressure. Just consider the pressure of playing football at the highest level, along with raising an autistic child.

I can't believe that Dan is just constantly getting dragged through the mud as a buffoon....

--Ross

Originally posted by Ross
I thought his analyses of Marino sucked. There is nothing that suggest that Marino can't handle the Job. There is nothing in his resume to suggest that he isn't qualified from his successful businesses that he owns. There is nothing in his 17 year resume that says he doesn't understand the game. There is nothing in his resume that suggest that he would ever crack under the pressure. Just consider the pressure of playing football at the highest level, along with raising an autistic child.

I can't believe that Dan is just constantly getting dragged through the mud as a buffoon....

--Ross

You can't see it because you're a die-hard Marino fan. So am I, but I can realize why they're saying what they're saying....its all a matter of perception. Until a few years go by and we see how it turns out, anything anybody has to say about it is all opinion and conjecture......don't sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom