Dan's Quest | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan's Quest

JPhinfan86

Chief of the Finheaven Iowa Chapter.
Reaction score
How many football fans, not just Finfans, honestly believe that if Dan Marino would have had a better supporting cast he would have won a ring? When you look at John Elway, he had TD to fall back on along with stand-out wide recievers along with Shannon Sharpe. He had talent around him, Dan always had comers and go-ers. No real solid guys, mainly at the RB position. Personally I believe that made a huge difference.

While that may have been the case, you have to play the cards you are dealt. You know, put the same 49er team that Joe Montana won all those rings with around Dan, he probably would have passed that success. The thing is, so what? Dan broke every major passing record with the so-called "comers and go-ers". I may get flamed for this, but if Dan could get those records, why didn't he win a SB? I blame the lack of a ring on him......

A thread similar to this showed up on our board at RKA (www.raiderskickass.com), and I still say that Marino was obviously the best pure passer in NFL history. I don't blame him for going 0-1 in the big game... had he played for the 49ers, I think he would have ended up with just as much jewelery as Montana...

You can pass up and down, but what about those short yardage situations? The game is a whole lot different when its "and goal". The passing game becomes somewhat more difficult, thats when a running game becomes crucial. To me, the lack of a formidable run game held him back. It's not realistic to say you can pass your way out of EVERY situation.

If he had a good runnig back the year that they went to the Super Bowl, I think they would have beaten the 49ers.

Originally posted by Bazinet37
While that may have been the case, you have to play the cards you are dealt. You know, put the same 49er team that Joe Montana won all those rings with around Dan, he probably would have passed that success. The thing is, so what? Dan broke every major passing record with the so-called "comers and go-ers". I may get flamed for this, but if Dan could get those records, why didn't he win a SB? I blame the lack of a ring on him......
The reason why is because everyone knew we were gonna pass and going into the big games thats all they would try to stop. When were in the playoffs we are playing good teams and if all those team are just focased on Dan then it is tough for him to get all the way to the superbowl, I cant think of the last team who won a superbowl without a pretty good RB

Originally posted by Bazinet37

your argument contradicts itself, baz....If Dan got all those passing records with nothing but comers and goers around him then he did it all himself, and that shows how great a QB he was. There is only so far you can go by yourself in a game that dpends on 21 other players to fill the field.

I see what baz is saying, he is saying if Dan can get those records alone, why cant he get a superbowl alone.

Sorry about the silly comment, i was testing my smiley out.:D

I agree with Infin, I have played varsity football in my high school days, and while it may not be the nfl, the same concepts to winning important games still applies. Whether the players are replacements or not, they all have to compliment each other as a team. There is no way one player can carry an entire team on his shoulders, no matter how good he may be.

The arguement you get for that is that Marino has literally put the team on his back MANY times, but, to be able to put your team on your back for, what, 19 games in a row, is impossible for a mere mortal. That Dan was able to do it so many times in his career still shows how great he was. But to say he should have been able to take it all the way is to diminish what he did accomplish.

Originally posted by t2thejz
The reason why is because everyone knew we were gonna pass and going into the big games thats all they would try to stop. When were in the playoffs we are playing good teams and if all those team are just focased on Dan then it is tough for him to get all the way to the superbowl, I cant think of the last team who won a superbowl without a pretty good RB

It does go without saying that a solid running game is a must ingredient for SB champions.

Back
Top Bottom