Dan's Quest | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan's Quest

Originally posted by ScrappyDew
If he had a good runnig back the year that they went to the Super Bowl, I think they would have beaten the 49ers.

They did have a rushing attack, it was a top 10 rushing attack in fact.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Bazinet37
While that may have been the case, you have to play the cards you are dealt. You know, put the same 49er team that Joe Montana won all those rings with around Dan, he probably would have passed that success. The thing is, so what? Dan broke every major passing record with the so-called "comers and go-ers". I may get flamed for this, but if Dan could get those records, why didn't he win a SB? I blame the lack of a ring on him......

This comment is just plain rediculous.... :rolleyes:

Barry Sanders is the reason the Lions never won a Super Bowl either right? :rolleyes:

To expect any player to win the Super Bowl on their own is an insane thing to expect. I really can't even believe you wrote this.

Originally posted by t2thejz
I see what baz is saying, he is saying if Dan can get those records alone, why cant he get a superbowl alone.

Umm, because their is a whole other side of the ball to consider.

Defense. I know that isn't a word any of us knew during the Marino era but as you can see with the current team it is a pretty important part of being a winner in the game of football.

Was Dan supposed to stop TD's from being scored as well as throwing them.

Me and my friend the Broncos fan have come to a conclusion on who the greatest Quarterback of all time is. It's Dan Marino and John Elway. To me and him they were so close to being equal at two players could be and he and I think that had they played on each others teams Elway would have all the records and Marino would have the rings. As great as Dan was he could not go it by himself. Neither could Elway but when John got a little help, look what he got. Two rings and the best exit to a career that one could ask for.

Originally posted by JPhinfan86
How many football fans, not just Finfans, honestly believe that if Dan Marino would have had a better supporting cast he would have won a ring? When you look at John Elway, he had TD to fall back on along with stand-out wide recievers along with Shannon Sharpe. He had talent around him, Dan always had comers and go-ers. No real solid guys, mainly at the RB position. Personally I believe that made a huge difference.

The question to be asked as well should be: how much did those two fellows (who will be lifted into the ring of honor this year) contributed to marino's records.

Marino was a lethal passer - no doubt. Probably the best ever pure passer. But what he had in arm strength he lacked in the ability of being a QB with a running game. It is easy to blame the lack of a running game for Marino not having a ring but I recall several seasons in which our RBs had a 3.5 to 3.8 ypc. 3.8 ypc should get you easily a 1,000 yard rusher.

Marino was hardly a QB who could hand off. It took way too much time. But I do blame Shula for not developing Marino into a complete QB from the early years on. By the time both realized that "air marino" does not work it was too late.

I am really glad that both compiled all those records together but it leaves as fan pretty empty when I see that since 1990 the Bills went 4 times to the big dance and the Pats won one. As a fan I give a dam about records and archievements. I want Superbowl participations and victories.

And I am sure today Dan Marino feels exactly like I do.

Back
Top Bottom