Daryl Gardener Could Have Helped.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daryl Gardener Could Have Helped..

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello...Dolfans.

Well.. tommorrow morning..its APRIL 1st. The first official day of the start of the OFF-SEASON CONDITIONING PROGRAM. All signed players are expected to participate...although it is not deemed mandatory.

This WEDNESDAY....there will be a Press conference with RICK SPIELMAN and WANNY...as they discuss the teams plans for this upcoming draft. It should be on SUNSHINE TV..and the teams web site..so look into that.

There is not much going on right now as far as any imminent signings go. The reason being is that the Dolphins right now...are really hovering right now...right around the salary cap. And I do believe that all teams must be at least 2 million dollars under the cap...just to be eligible to draft. With that said...you can see why....the Dolphins really can't offer that much money right now....be it for TERRANCE WILKENS, CHRIS CARTER, LORENZO BROMELL...or even MATT TURK.

This brings me back to the Dolphins having asked DL DARYL GARDENER....now for the second time....to have his contract re-worked. He has re-buffed the Dolphins wishes twice now.
I am not going to say he is the only one who should be pointed out by the DOlphins to get his contract re-worked.....but he is by far.....the best available candidate to do so. The Dolphins have every right to be concerned about their 50 million dollar plus investment...considering how fragile DG's back is right now. They have made a statement signing in bringing in DT LARRY CHESTER to take GARDENER's spot in the line...and thus...moving over DG to end. After this season...depending on his health and how well he plays....this could be the last season for DG as a Dolphin.
The bottom line is this: We are really only a few players away....from really, really, being able to get to that big dance. I see a guy like WILKENS out there...who I think the Dolphins really want...but at the moment...are handcuffed. What do they have to do to free up some cap room? RESTRUCTURE. And now I hear they have gone back to GARDNER and ask him once again to help the team out. And GARDENER says...NO. Now....it takes two sides to make a deal. The Dolphins gave DG the big money....before all this back thing...really started becoming a real problem...where he physically could not play. GARDNER signed the deal ONLY LAST YEAR. ANd now the DOlphins are perhaps....sorry they gave him all this money....and now.....1 year later....they want some of that money back or re-structured.

I ask you all......Is GARDENER being SELFISH?
Or....Are the Dolphins at fault for not waiting just a bit longer....to give DG all that money?

IMO....I think GARDENER should have at least made some type of move....with his agent.....where the Dolphins could have moved some money into a signing bonus....where DG would not have lost any money....anything would have helped...at the very least.

Its really a shame....because if DG would have left something more on the table for us.....there is no question in my mind.....we would really be in a better position to at least get out an offer sheet for TERRANCE WILKENS.....who is asking in the neighborhood of $800,000 per year.

I am beginning to think that this may well indeed be the last year for DG in a DOlphins uniform. I think that he will be either asked to re-work his deal....(after this season)....and if he does not....he will be released. As for this season....lets hope he stays on the field....and if he does...lets hope he can play some good DE....before the DOlphins come and ask him again...

DCH

In answer to you question, I do believe that he's being selfish but I'm going to reserve judgement on the whole thing until after I see him on the field. If he steps up and performs like the DG of old, and he knows that he's going to be able to perform up to that level, then he's worth the cash. However, if he knows that it's likely that he's not going to make it through the season, and is just trying to take as much as he can with him, then he's being incredibly selfish and screwing the team and the fans.

Hopefully he's able to make the move to end and become dominant so we can all look back and say he was worth it.
:)

Expo88...............

Originally posted by Expo88
In answer to you question, I do believe that he's being selfish but I'm going to reserve judgement on the whole thing until after I see him on the field. If he steps up and performs like the DG of old, and he knows that he's going to be able to perform up to that level, then he's worth the cash. However, if he knows that he's likely not going to make it through the season and is just trying to take as much as he can with him, then he's being incredibly selfish and screwing the team and the fans.

Hopefully he's able to make the move to end and become dominant so we can all look back and say he was worth it.
:)

I couldn't have said it any better myself.;)

Good Point! I think he is being selfish. I have to look further into the situation before I base my opinion though. I haven't seen anything on this yet. Where did you get this from DCH? I want to check it out. Thanks for the info.

DG is being selfish; and the Fins made a huge mistake giving him such as huge contract after having given Tim Bo such a big contract. I cannot remember exactly, but DG was not in 100% health before he signed the contract so there should have been enough of a concern with his health to allow the team to force him to re-neg or cut him after a year or 2.

Any player that is not willing to take guaranteed money over salary to help out the cap situation - is most assuedly being selfish :fire:

Originally posted by dolphan39
DG is being selfish; and the Fins made a huge mistake giving him such as huge contract after having given Tim Bo such a big contract. I cannot remember exactly, but DG was not in 100% health before he signed the contract so there should have been enough of a concern with his health to allow the team to force him to re-neg or cut him after a year or 2.

Any player that is not willing to take guaranteed money over salary to help out the cap situation - is most assuedly being selfish :fire:

Their were concerns about his back before the big contrat, so the Phins hierarchy is partly to blame. That said.............he is the only high wage player that refuses to restructure...............SELFISH :fire:

He lost me whan he started on the "how great he was" sh1t. :rolleyes:

Like DCH said, there are two sides to every deal, but there are always underlying facts and consequences unbeknownst by any of us! Its really like flipping a double-sided coin on if he's being selfish or not! From a real world standpoint, we were all taught to look out for number 1. In the sports world, we're taught to play for team! So as this maybe a good topic to talk about, its not a very fair topic to base perceptions of the Man! In DG's case, he's damned if he does and he's damned if he dont! Like everyone else though, I always think its a selfish move not to do whats best for the team! Lets just hope he's got a plan to show and prove! Have a ProBowl Year DG! GoPhins!

I don't see how ANY of us fans can really cvome to any
knowledgeable conclusions on this matter.
We are not privy to the inner workings of his contract (and should not be, BTW).
We do not know if any or all of the contract is gauranteed.
So, before we all jump on the bandwagon and say he is just being selfish, I think we should realize that we do not know all the facts involved in this matter.
Oh yeah, for all you guys that say that he should restructure, look what happened to O.J.
He restructures his deal one day, and is cut the next day.
What kind of message does that send?
All I am saying, is that nobody on this message board has any inside info on the inner workings od DG's contract, or what the terms of his restructure would be.
I think we are all just reacting as a fan when we say he is selfish for not restructuring, but, who knows the real story?
That being said, I too wish he would restructure, but, will reserve the judgement untill more facts are known, if they ever are.

IMO....I think GARDENER should have at least made some type of move....with his agent.....where the Dolphins could have moved some money into a signing bonus....where DG would not have lost any money....anything would have helped...at the very least.

maybe it's that pack of hot dogs on the back of his neck that's affecting his judgement, but, if I'm not misssing something, this solution sounds like a can't lose proposition.
It seems to me that a player who has made millions of dollars over his career from one orginization would be in the position, financially and thankfully, to "give back" a little to the people who have given him so much. ESPECIALLY....if he realizes that he has a chance to go to a Super Bowl if he can help his team find the cap room to sign some missing pieces.
In todays NFL, a player can help the team just as much off the field as he can on the field and DG IS being selfish by not realizing that. No bout adoubt it.

Not true...

look what happened to O.J.
He restructures his deal one day, and is cut the next day.
...it was reported that OJ's restructure was a done deal, but his agent called back the next morning wanting to amend what had been agreed to the night before (the amendment was intended to preserve OJ's ability to successfully sue the team over misdiagnosing and mistreating his toe injury). The Dolphins would not make the amendments and OJ was cut _instead_ of restructuring, not after restructuring.

As far as Gardener goes, unless he feels he's simply not going to be able to play anymore, it's nonsensical to refuse to restructure. Hardly matters whether I think it's selfish or not, I see Gardener's refusal to restructure as his admission that he feels his football career is over.

Jeff

Gardener is being selfish. Other highly paid players like Surtain and Taylor restructured their contracts a little bit to help the team and Bowens really helped us out (although he was forced to, but at least he stayed.)

Back
Top Bottom