Dave's "first" round drafting | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave's "first" round drafting

MexDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Just watching the recent first round history of our beloved Miami Dolphins, at [/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Sun sentinel[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica], i hear myself saying[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]: [/font]What did you do, Dave?

I also remember when just after leaving the fins and about the way dolfans expressed, somebodyelse ask him "What did you do?" Wannstedt said puzzlingly. "Oh, I know what you mean. I didn't do anything." Yes he did. Just look.

Wanny take the plung just after JJ retired January 16, 2000 and he has no 1th round choice (because of a trade up since '98) and he didn't trade to obtain someone. Next year he was as defense minded as ever and drafted Flecher who was a not so god product. The RW trade cost 2 years of first round. And last year he was teamed with Rick Spielman and take Vernon Carey (Just remember Philadelphia really destroyed all draft boards by trading and taking Shawn Andrews, the OT Miami was seeking).

In my opinion he busted quality with quantity, drafting later in order to discover "jewels" in later round and ignored "expensive" prime players.

What do you think?

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2004 - Vernon Carey (OT, Miami (FL)); 2003 - none; 2002 - none; 2001 - Jamar Fletcher (CB, Wisconsin); 2000 - none; 1999 - none; 1998 - John Avery (RB, Mississippi); 1997 - Yatil Green (WR, Miami); 1996 - Daryl Gardener (DT, Baylor); 1995 - Billy Milner (OT, Houston); 1994 - Tim Bowens (DT, Mississippi); 1993 - O.J. McDuffie (WR, Penn State); 1992 - Troy Vincent (CB, Wisconsin), Marco Coleman (DL, Georgia Tech); 1991 - Randall Hill (WR, Miami); 1990 - Richmond Webb (OT, Texas A&M).[/font]

Agree. There are plenty of people here who are going to say let Dave be and move on, but all I can say is that thank God he's not in charge of this #2 pick. I love the way Saban is making our pick the power pick.

wow there was many years without first round picks, i remember how frustrating that was

MexDolfan said:
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]: [/font]What did you do, Dave?

I also remember when just after leaving the fins and about the way dolfans expressed, somebodyelse ask him "What did you do?" Wannstedt said puzzlingly. "Oh, I know what you mean. I didn't do anything." Yes he did. Just look.

Wanny take the plung just after JJ retired January 16, 2000 and he has no 1th round choice (because of a trade up since '98) and he didn't trade to obtain someone. Next year he was as defense minded as ever and drafted Flecher who was a not so god product. The RW trade cost 2 years of first round. And last year he was teamed with Rick Spielman and take Vernon Carey (Just remember Philadelphia really destroyed all draft boards by trading and taking Shawn Andrews, the OT Miami was seeking).

In my opinion he busted quality with quantity, drafting later in order to discover "jewels" in later round and ignored "expensive" prime players.

What do you think?

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2004 - Vernon Carey (OT, Miami (FL)); 2003 - none; 2002 - none; 2001 - Jamar Fletcher (CB, Wisconsin); 2000 - none; 1999 - none; 1998 - John Avery (RB, Mississippi); 1997 - Yatil Green (WR, Miami); 1996 - Daryl Gardener (DT, Baylor); 1995 - Billy Milner (OT, Houston); 1994 - Tim Bowens (DT, Mississippi); 1993 - O.J. McDuffie (WR, Penn State); 1992 - Troy Vincent (CB, Wisconsin), Marco Coleman (DL, Georgia Tech); 1991 - Randall Hill (WR, Miami); 1990 - Richmond Webb (OT, Texas A&M).[/font]

Was listening to the radio today in KC and they talked about the how KC has done poorly in the first few rounds and well later. Their theory was that the head coach and the Assistant coaches have more imput in the first few rounds. They really start scouting players after the season and only have so much time to break down so many games. You figure Vermeil is only looking as so many people for the #15 pick. In the later rounds, the team relies more on the scouting department. There are literally hundreds of players that might be available in the 5th round on. The head coach does not have time to watch tape on that many people. On the other hand, that's all the scouts do. They basically said that you blame the coaching staff for failures in the first couple of rounds and the scouts for failures in the later rounds. Makes sense to me. Maybe the same holds true for Wanny and possibly JJ. Were the "gems" in the later rounds because Jimmy could see talent, or were they because the souting department did it's job? An interesting theory.

Bigbucks24 said:
Was listening to the radio today in KC and they talked about the how KC has done poorly in the first few rounds and well later. Their theory was that the head coach and the Assistant coaches have more imput in the first few rounds. They really start scouting players after the season and only have so much time to break down so many games. You figure Vermeil is only looking as so many people for the #15 pick. In the later rounds, the team relies more on the scouting department. There are literally hundreds of players that might be available in the 5th round on. The head coach does not have time to watch tape on that many people. On the other hand, that's all the scouts do. They basically said that you blame the coaching staff for failures in the first couple of rounds and the scouts for failures in the later rounds. Makes sense to me. Maybe the same holds true for Wanny and possibly JJ. Were the "gems" in the later rounds because Jimmy could see talent, or were they because the souting department did it's job? An interesting theory.

Nice. That just increase Wanny's fault. This guy explore the potential first rounders and never trade up (sorry he and RS pissed on their pants and traded up 1 spot last year costing 4th round) in order to add near future impact players.
Not that in later rounds weren't those players (Brady) but just imagine last year draft we could find Carey's caliber OL in later rounds and get some other impact player in that spot. By the other side my conclusion now is that Wanny never wanted full developed rookies, he allways needed that control over not so developed and confused guys.

Back
Top Bottom