David Bowens gone...sign Mike McCrary? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Bowens gone...sign Mike McCrary?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just an idea. My personal preference actually is for Lamanzer Williams to step up.

But the news is in that Mike McCrary, banged up as he is, might retire, or he might get released by the Ravens. His salary is like 3 million.

I just brought it up cuz he's a passrusher very much in the same mold as David Bowens, which is basically the same mold as Jason Taylor, and IF he's still interested in playing (very very big IF) he could join his former teammate and fellow book-end back in Baltimore Rob Burnett down here.

I dunno, personally I think Lamanzer showed a heck of a lot of potential over in Europe getting 10.5 sacks in 6 games (4 starts) so I would like to see if he can get after the quarterback for us.

But if we've got enough money to sign a guy to the vet's minimum, and if McCrary passes a physical, and if McCrary is interested in playing again part time...well I guess I wouldn't MIND so long as its understood that Lamanzer Williams will be given the opportunity to outright oust either McCrary or Burnett if he looks better.

But those are three very very big IFs. Just a thought to entertain us in the doldrums of July.

That's a lot of food for thought, Problem is will Wanny take a chance on L. Williams, even give him a decent chance to see if he could make the team if we sign McCrary..Wanny's on the hot seat, and I'm not sure how many opportunities he's going to give to unproven talent, it's sad, because we'll probably cut a lot of potential talent to keep over the hill known quanitees, even ones who don't play like they use to. Bottom line is Williams will be attacking us on some other team..alone with some other talent from this team. I wish Wanny was in a better situation, but the reality of it is, he's got to win now, in a big way or he won't be here next year.

I'd say Miami should go for it.. Especially if it's for the Minimum.. McCrary is a vet with good ability and has won a SB with the Ravens.. It's a good thing to think about but we'll see what happens..

CK, I don't think we could afford someone like McCrary, could we? What if L. Williams steps up in the pre-season and does well but when crunch-time arrives, he folds up? What then? Alot of unknown variables it seems.:confused:

I really don't see why you are all worrying about our 5th DE spot. Bowens though is a loss. I think they were planning on letting O-Gun go in a RFA type deal and putting Bowens in next year. He is very good and beat out Ogunleye last season until the injury bug bit him.

Originally posted by Jaj
I really don't see why you are all worrying about our 5th DE spot. Bowens though is a loss. I think they were planning on letting O-Gun go in a RFA type deal and putting Bowens in next year. He is very good and beat out Ogunleye last season until the injury bug bit him.

David Bowens was our 3rd DE.. We lost a 3rd DE before Training Camp even started.. So that is enough to have people thinking about replacing him with a proven veteran.. We will have more injuries.. its just a matter of which positions it hits.. Whether it be our deepest or thinnest positions is the question..

I agree with Rude. We lost a guy that did have a place in our DL rotation. I mean, its not like he was just constantly sitting on the bench. He played. He had a solidified spot on the DL rotation and was looking to improve it by having a good camp. So the fact that he got significant playing time has to make the coaches at least look at the veteran DE market to see if they could replace him without any headaches.

But the language coming from the front office is that they feel their DL rotation was so spread out to begin with that they can handle the loss of Bowens. In other words, even if Lamanzer Williams doesn't step it up in Bowens place and show he can actually get to the QB...we're covered, we'll just change the rotation a little, maybe actually put Jeff Zgonina in there since he can get after the QB from the DT spot pretty good.

I think Lamanzer Williams fate for the 2003 season was sealed as a Dolphin when David Bowens got injured. There's no way he's playing on another team now MD...unless we DO go out and get someone like Mike McCrary...but I really doubt we will.

i hate to lose him, but i dont think the loss is that great. on the espn website, they said several dolphin personnel rated him our 8th out of 9 best DLman. dont know if i agree with that, but i do know he also was a great wedge buster on special teams. i think Lamanzer should get a shot to take his spot. we dont need anyone else yet, unless we get another injury. ill keep praying it doesnt happen.

Michael McCrary did retire. Why would we want to sign a player who lost his desire to play? I liked McCrary alot when he was playing, he has a non-stop motor like D-Bo, but why don't we give the rest of the guys a chance in camp. Let's see what we already have, before we try to sign someone hastily. After all, we are already deep in that position to survive an injury to one of our backups.

Back
Top Bottom