DE Marquise Hill, perfect replacement for Ogunleye? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DE Marquise Hill, perfect replacement for Ogunleye?

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I respectfully disagree. I think that if Jason Taylor were 26 or 27 years old and were tendered for a 1st and 3rd, there would be probably like 5 or 6 teams bidding on his services via restricted free agency. Ogunleye is 26 years old and is a restricted free agent and nobody was willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for him, opting instead to overpay guys like Jevon Kearse and Grant Wistrom. I remember one coach during the season I forget exactly which coach it was, at the time Ogunleye had been doing real well while Taylor was in a slump to start out the year, and the coach went on record with a newspaper saying I know people are talking about Ogunleye's production right now but when I look at the tape the guy that still scares me is Jason Taylor...forget what the stats say so far.

What scares me about committing big money to Ogun is that his production reminds me soooo much of Trace Armstrong. In nearly every statistical category I can think of, and have bothered to check on, Ogun's production this year with the 15.5 sacks mirrors Armstrong's with the 16.5 sacks. I'm talking everything, from the total number of sacks gotten by DEs opposite JT, to the way Oguns sacks seem to come 2 or even 3 at a time where Taylors seem to come at a steady stream of 1 sack per game.

Well obviously Ogun doesn't have that many years starting in the league yet, so teams are willing to wait out the situation.
I'm not following your logic of how or when OGUN's sacks came verses Trace's....verses Jason's. What does that conclude?

I'm saying that OGUN has the unique ability to be a GREAT defensive end. Based on his technique and consistant production (including college), I expect him to sustain a high production level no matter what team he is with.

Originally posted by Danny

OMG, Yes you did. You said...."lets say we get rid of Ogun"

Ummmmm, that's 100% different than saying, "let's get rid of O-Gun" :rolleyes2

Heck, maybe we should let Wanny's daughter pick the next DE we draft. She was spot on on Ogun.LOL! Dolfanreal69

Y'know...Hill is a projected 3rd rounder and may be available to us then...would not be a bad choice, depending on what we do with our #1 pick...If a worthy DT is available (Starks) RS might be tempted to go that way, but only if Andrews, Vilma, Williams, Smiley, Grove are gone. More than likely one of those guys will still be there at #20.

Grove will almost definitely be on the board at #20. If indeed Spielman carries typically 4 guys on the list of guys we track to where if they are there we take them and if not we trade down...then I doubt Grove will be on it.

CK...that's true, I just thought that, given our history of reaching, Grove might be a guy they'd reach for...

Problem is, we don't know if that is a DW trait or a RS trait...we'll find out soon...

Everyone will WANT to say thats a Dave Wannstedt trait but I fear that Spielman is the same way. Yeah, Spielman advocated Boldin as opposed to Moore, but he also advocated Drew Brees as opposed to Fletcher who in Wannstedt's defense was considered one of the best CBs in college football history. Fletcher wasn't a "stretch" where we picked him, he had fallen a lot further than everyone expected. My only beef was Wannstedt drafted a guy who PUBLICALLY expounded that he was the best thing since Deion and would go to the Pro Bowl like 4 out of his first 5 years, and put him behind two All-Pro corners with All-Pro longterm contracts. Its no wonder Fletcher seemed lost here. A similar mistake IMO would be drafting Reggie Williams.

Also a damning note for Spielman is that Taylor Whitley was a Spielman pick, according to the local beat writers.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I respectfully disagree. I think that if Jason Taylor were 26 or 27 years old and were tendered for a 1st and 3rd, there would be probably like 5 or 6 teams bidding on his services via restricted free agency. Ogunleye is 26 years old and is a restricted free agent and nobody was willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for him, opting instead to overpay guys like Jevon Kearse and Grant Wistrom. I remember one coach during the season I forget exactly which coach it was, at the time Ogunleye had been doing real well while Taylor was in a slump to start out the year, and the coach went on record with a newspaper saying I know people are talking about Ogunleye's production right now but when I look at the tape the guy that still scares me is Jason Taylor...forget what the stats say so far.

What scares me about committing big money to Ogun is that his production reminds me soooo much of Trace Armstrong. In nearly every statistical category I can think of, and have bothered to check on, Ogun's production this year with the 15.5 sacks mirrors Armstrong's with the 16.5 sacks. I'm talking everything, from the total number of sacks gotten by DEs opposite JT, to the way Oguns sacks seem to come 2 or even 3 at a time where Taylors seem to come at a steady stream of 1 sack per game.

Don't compare trace armstrong with Adawale aGunleye. Adawale can both play the run and the pass at a high level and went to the pro bowl because he was our best defensive end in the team. Jason taylor got beat and all the sacks he got were against quarterbacks that have been beaten around all year while agunleye got sacks on mcnabb , manning etc.

Junior, I hope you're not saying that Ogun is better than JT....I think that is a real stretch...I love Ogun, I think, as you said he is equally good against the run and pass, has good moves to get pressure, and is aware and athletic enough to usually not get caught inside against the run, but JT is one of the top 5 DEs in the league....and he is the LDE, which usually gets the pleasure of the better tackle on a team. Most teams feel our weakness is the LBers and like to stretch our LBs by putting the TE in pass patterns on most every play, leaving only the OL and backs to cover Ogun's side....These two guys (JT and Ogun) talents' compliment each other and the rest of the defense. I am NOT saying that Ogun is a product of JT by any stretch of the imagination, but rather that Ogun is a real talent who fits into our system real well....better than the other DEs we have had in the past, even tho the numbers of sacks are similar between them and Ogun.

get rid of Ogun get rid of Ogun

Back
Top Bottom