DEDRIC WARD SHOULD BE THE THIRD WR....AND QUESTIONS FOR MUCK AND CO...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DEDRIC WARD SHOULD BE THE THIRD WR....AND QUESTIONS FOR MUCK AND CO......

There is a nice article on Fletch in the current Dolphin Digest. He's been working his tail off in the offseason. You would think that would pay dividens eventually. I really hope he does elevate his game.

There are so many conflicting reports...

Originally posted by finfan54
I heard Fletch was doing allright. everyone is jumping too far up his britches i think. there are alot of guys who arent even playing cus they dont want to play them. there saving everything for two of the preseason games. my prediction is that we game plan for this one aginst a good defense and offense and bread and butter against new orleans with the short week. then last preseason game we show more. i wouldnt read too much into what youve seen so far except for the O and D lines which is what wanny is looking for right now. tmmorrow night we should get a true reading on where we are at. but even then if fletchers guy beats him underneath, its not the end of the world. becuase we dont want to give up the big play first. if he gets beat deep badly then i start to worry, but everyone gets beat, even madison and surtain. i have tapes to prove it. i just want to see fletch get more work and hold his ground and not screw up cus he will get mismatches all the time. he just has to play good. it will all come later. but this talk fo finding another cb is redicualous. it is the hardest position on the field. especially nickel cus of mismatches and PT.

... it's hard to know who is telling the truth. And no that wasn't a snipe at DCH, I was referring to the main press outlets. That's why I think we should all make our decisions based on what we actually see during this pre-season games our selves.

Oliver...

Bless you Bod...

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Ya I remember Surtain struggling as well. People on certain message boards were even cursing on JJ for "wasting" a first round pick on the guy......soujnds familiar eh?? hehe

... I was starting to think I was the only one that remembered that. It's not a fair situation that Fletcher found himself in. He is basically become certain ppl's whipping post because the Dolphins didn't draft Brees. And we all know why they are pissed, it's because the person they thought that would replace Fiedler was not drafted. It's a darn shame.

Oliver...

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
Hello To ALL......... Here I am....its Sunday....I am off....and I wish I was up there in Disney. But Instead.....I am just checking here...seeing if MUCK and his fun bunch up there can put up some good reports. Some questions to be looked for with some insight....

1. Why is JAMAR FLETCHER not progesssing? It appears that the DOlphins will be looking elsewhere for a veteran Cb...possibly this week...if FLETCHER does not play well tomorrow.

I've herd nearly the same thing, but it won't happen just yet! The only Cb out there right now is Greer, and he is no upgrade, so they want to wait until some of the final cuts!

3. I see the coaches raving about DEDRIC WARD....and the inconsistency of JAMES McKnight. I would rather have the consistency, and the trust that WARD brings to the field...instead of wondering whether or not Mcknight is going to drop one that may cost us a game. I see WARD having good field presence....he knows how to get first downs...and he catches over the middle. The only thing that Mcknight has over WARD is the speed....but when you need a catch when its 4th and 2 or third and 2...I would feel better if DEDIRC WARD is in there. IMO...WARD would do the better job...he is the better all around reciever than Mcknight is. He would be my third Wr.

Ward got a raise this year, but watching Ward so far, you have to be impressed! To me he is a perfect number three. Fast, and very reliable.

But if McKnight was dropped to 4, he would be making WAY TOO MUCH money, so I see them trying to give OG some breaks this year, and let the two of them split time at the 2. All four Wr's get plenty of playing time this way, and Dedric Ward especially deserves it.

5. FB.... It looks like the coaches are really coming to the realization that DEON DYER is a smashmouth.,in your face player...you simply cannot cut this guy....particularly for an average, athletic FB like FEMI A. KONRAD is having a decent...but unspectacular camp....but you have to keep him....and you have to keep DYER. KONRAD and DYER should be rotating around... when the DOlphins are in short yardage situations....DYER has to be in there. With RICKY being in there...on all downs....I really think KONRAD will be a very limited player once again in this offense. I see KONRAD catching a few ball a game....but does anyone see him of being more than just your average FB in this offense? I don't see it. I see DYER's game...much more necessary for RICKY than anything else.....he should be his lead blocker....it probably won't matter....KONRAD will start.

DCH, check out Dyer next time your at TC, and you may think even more highly of Dyer. He has been making some outstanding catches, a few of them being one handed. I've written about Dyer since he came here, about him being pretty decent catching balls out of the backfield, and it appears he worked even harder on this during the offseason. I'm sure you've noticed this before, but to me it's worth taking an even closer look.

7. TIM LEVCIK or ZAC KUSTOK.... It appears that LEVCIK's rifle arm may be the difference maker. KUSTOK is more athletic...but I think the coaches will go with LEVCIK when its all said and done. I hope one of these guys seperate themselves in the next two pre-season games....to make it easier.

One thing I've noticed so far is that Levcik does not get an equal amount of snaps as Kustok, but they better gives these two long looks in some actual games, or I might think Conspiracy!!!

Watching Kustok launch a long ball makes me think of Josh Huepel!
Watching Levcik makes me think he could be a pretty good PROSPECT! He has touch on short passes, strength on Bombs, and good accuracy along with strength on outs. His only negative would be his immobility!

All of course IMO......

[/QUOTE]

TO DCH: These are my thoughts on your concerns/observations.

1. JAMAR FLETCHER: I'm just as concerned as anyone I suppose, and with the simple caveat of this statement being that I did not get to watch the Dolphins defense practice, morning or afternoon, I will say that from all accounts that I have seen other than the immediate rumor from WQAM or something the day of the practices, Jamar actually had a GOOD SOLID DAY. He was covering Keyshawn Johnson a lot, and batted some passes and basically did a great job blanketing him. In the 11 on 11's, only Keenan McCardell caught passes longer than 10 yards, and that was not Jamar Fletcher. I think Jamar will be fine IMHO.

2. Offensive Line: McKinney looked good out there that I can personally attest to. He was making very savvy moves out there, and though it looked like he lacked a little explosion from his lower body, he really did have an overall good day...with the caveat there being that he was against Bucs second string. I don't feel comfortable reporting anything about Nails, Perry, Wade, Searcy, Dixon, or Smith other than they did nothing to catch my eye in the running or passing game...other than Searcy POSSIBLY having trouble with picking up blitz assignments in the blitz drills.

3. I was at practice in the morning and I gotta say it was a perfect microcosm of the entire situation between Dedric Ward and James McKnight. JM started the day with a drop on a pass that, though it was not an easy pass it was an over the shoulder type about a foot too long to be easy, it went through his outstretched hands anyway. But then, he came back to make I believe 3 more catches for the day, including some where we remarked that they looked like hard catches. Dedric Ward on the other hand, had I believe 1 catch all day...and simply wasn't getting open or catching a QBs eye. Jeff Ogden was getting open more and drawing more QB attention. To me, thats a perfect summary of the situation. Sure, you can count on Dedric to catch the ball more than you can count on McKnight. But can you count on him to be consistently open in an offense where he's a top WR? My answer is no, and I will use the Ravens game as an example. In that game we had some hurt WRs, Chambers out, and all the sudden Ward was pushed into a prominent role, and in my opinion, he could not handle it. Wasn't getting open well enough consistently, and he even dropped the ball once or twice in that game. James McKnight on the other hand always gets open. The way Norv's offense ran in Dallas, Washington, and San Diego, he can deal with speedster WRs that drop the ball as long as they get open deep (first Alvin Harper, then Albert Connell, then Tim Dwight, now James McKnight??) For my money, James McKnight is still my man over Dedric Ward especially after that practice, and if the practice was any indication, I might even take Jeff Ogden over Dedric "forgotten man" Ward.

4. Randy McMichael. I guess I kinda disagree with some sports writers here. I heard reports of him making great catches in the back of the endzone etc, and I guess those must have been in the afternoon practice cuz I KNOW he wasn't doin that in the morning practices. People say that he looked impressive again but to me he didn't really impress me all that much. Not that I'm a hater...he made one or two catches that I saw, but they looked like your average run of the mill routes and catches. Maybe he looked spectacular FOR A ROOKIE or somethin, but certainly didn't look like an offensive difference maker. He's still got time and he HAS impressed on other occasions, so we'll see when games show up.

5. Ultimately I think Femi's a goner. He's not all that involved in the offense from what I see and I think in the end, the original quote about him by Wanny is whats proving out. He's training camp depth. But I think he was definitely brought in to push Dyer, NOT necessarily Konrad. Konrad's been given his role already and he's going into the first game the starting FB hell or high water it don't matter a lick what happens in training camp. Femi was here to make sure Dyer didn't get lazy and think that his devastating blocking power meant that he was an automatic lock for the roster....he needs to keep making a concerted effort to improve his catching and route running because as the quote goes, blocking is important in Norv's offense but not as important as the ability for every skill player on that field to be a multiple offensive threat in some way. Dedric or JM on reverses, Ricky running, blocking, and catching, TE blocking and catching, and the FB blocking and catching.

6. Return game. Dunno man. They didn't do returns at practice. From what I hear I prolly expect Minor to be handling them, which is unexciting but fine with me. Ogden fine punt returning so long as his fumble problems have gone bye-bye.

7. Zak Kustok took any 3rd string snaps at the practice we saw. Levcik did not. This may have to do with the fact that Kustok is the one set to play 1 and a half quarters against the Bucs, NOT Levcik (who may not play at all). Levcik will get New Orleans on his plate. Personally from what I've seen of Kustok, I dont know why they are even bothering to call it "competition" for this 3rd spot. Like Ozzy, I think if Kustok keeps gettin more attention than Levcik I'm gonna start shoutin conspiracy and start complainin that Wanny puts too much weight on "quick feet" Fvck man, if they keep Kustok over Levcik, you have to wonder if Kurt Warner could have made a stop at camp while he was unknown and gotten away from us because we thought his feet weren't quick enough. Kustok is like Heupel except...well, worst.

DL/DE Zach Thomas calls this DL the best and deepest he's seen in his 6 years here. He doesn't say this every year. They passrushed Tennessee like mad crazy and I hear they abused the Bucs good too. Thats enough to get me :)

RB The preaseason games will decide Henry's fate. If he does well they roster him, if not they try and sneak him past waivers. I disagree with sports writers on this one (or at least one writer who said that some team will take Henry off waivers based on "rumor" of his good camps). Sorry but I just don't think that some team's gonna give up a valuable roster spot to a guy who so far hasn't shown anything on special teams, and who happened to be a 7th round pick who should have been undrafted according to every other team in the league...UNLESS he tears it up in preseason and shows his wares to the rest of the league. In that case we can't sneak him on waivers. He'd have enough loyalty to us for drafting him that if he got on our psquad, and another team made him an offer, he'd give us a chance to drop someone and match before taking off. Thats a standard practice. Reuben Droughns was the exception, not rule.

LBer. Am I missing something? Don't we usually roster 7 LBers? Thats Zach, Morlon, Derrick....then Hendricks, Galyon, and Russell (all three of which are special teams ACES)...and does that not leave 1 spot left for either Symonette, Seaverns, or Shields? I didn't see him against the Bucs, but I thought Seaverns actually looked pretty impressive against the run, holding off OL pretty well, and sneaking into the backfield for stuffs...against Tennessee.

Hope this helps DCH

Nice job CK! I'm impressed. That was an excellent evaluation of some of the key issues/battles.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Try to give a perspective based on what I saw Saturday morning anyway, but keep in mind that I only saw 1 out of 4 things to see...the dolphins offense during morning drills...didn't see the O during afternoon, or the D during morning or afternoon. Muck at least got to see the morning O and the afternoon D.

In my opinion Tim Letcvik will prove to be better than R. Lucas. I don't know if anybody sees it like I do but this kid is going to be GOOD. Robert edwards will make this team. We will keep 4 Rb's. Keep a look out for the rookie CB O. Lowe, he's solid. I think he looks more comfortable than J. Fletcher.

Levcik's got a lot to prove and hasn't even barely started yet. Get in that playbook. Memorize it best you can. Thats all he can do.

!

Great post DCH. I think the same things. If no one can beat out Ogden, then I will be satisfied with him back there returning punts again this season.

but please, man...the name is MORLON!

CKParrot...I don't know where you are hearing your stuff, but every draft pub and site I've read had Henry as a sleeper and all said he was a steal in 7th rd. So I don't see how you say other teams said he should have went undrafted.

To be honest the last spots on a team are really not that valuable. Many teams don't even fill their last or two spots after an injury or two. (To save cap room)

Most players in teh last few spots are just to add a little depth in case we have a rash of injuries. We didn't even fill two of our spots last year.

I have heard Kustok has looked more comfortable in the offense and definitely MUCH better than Heupel ever looked. I really believe he's ahead of Levcik right now based on # of reps and the fact he gets first nod of the battle in games. I'm in no way saying I want him to win the battle cause I don't. But there is a reason we are fans on a website and not working as scouts somewhere for a pro team. I'm sure they know more about a guy who can play than we do. ARM STRENGTH IS NOT EVERYTHING!

Fletcher

I know this is probably like beating a dead horse, but from those who have seem Fletcher play does it seem like he is thinking too much instead of just letting his ability take over for him. I realize that he probably felt that a lot of people felt the Miami screwed up when they drafted him and I wonder if he is just trying to hard.

Or is he just not as good as advertised. He had a lot of hype coming out of college, and I admit I was very disappointed when Miami took him over Drew Brees. I started to think he might work out to be a stud, but some reports on camp and have started to make me wonder. He appears to have all the tools to be a great CB, but was wondering if anyone thinks he just thinks way too much instead of letting his athletic ability take over in games.

Just looking for some insight.

Back
Top Bottom