Defense Drafting Strategy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense Drafting Strategy

Digital

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Tonight I am expecting to see a lot of teams drafting heavily on the defensive e side of the ball. The Dolphins are one of many teams that could really use an infusion of talent and youth on defense. So, this is a great time to think about building a defense for the future.

Today:
The current Dolphins defense is built around 3 great players: Cam Wake, Ndamakong Suh, and Reshad Jones. Leaving Reshad aside for a moment, our scheme options revolve around getting Cam's hand in the dirt and letting Suh be a gap penetrating DT. That screams 43.

While we could convert Wake to an OLB and adjust Suh's role a bit to accommodate a 34, this would be a poor use of their skills and a colossal waste of time. So, we are married to some form of 43 IMHO.

Future:
While there are some good 43 teams, most of the best defenses run a 34. Even a 43 under scheme provides a little more flexibility than our current 43 over. So, given the potential to retool the defense this year, it might be worth considering prospects that have the flexibility to play well in the current 43 over as well as a 34?

With that in mind, some prospects that people love, like Charles Harris, wouldn't be as ideal of a pick if we change schemes in a couple of years. My thought is that if we do decide to invest heavily in this defense-deep front 7 draft, then it would be unwise to stay fully locked into this scheme.

Maybe we will go heavier into CB's and S's, but I hope we do not lock ourselves into only 43 front 7 personnel.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

don't matter what we think, Gase has already said he is keeping this system in play, he don't want players constantly learning new schemes and terms, using N.E. as a example of using the same system for so long with adjustments here and there

Last year the top 10 defenses by yards allowed was split evenly between 3-4 and 4-3 defenses so I don't think it is scheme as much talent and philosophy matching.

IMHO if we are drafting for your next defense then we are already screwed.

I think we're gunning for more of a 4-2-5 scheme. Still a heavy reliance on the front 4 getting home, but it provides more options and flexibility on the back end, especially vs the new modern wave of offenses. We spent about 2/3's of our time in Nickel last year so I don't see a premium on traditional LBs or even the LB position all together. The LB spot may in fact be on a slight decline around the league. Not nearly to the extent that has happened with RBs, but with just less of an emphasis to carry 3 starters as the 3rd spot is trending towards a hybrid player at the Sam or Will spots geared for a defender with better coverage skills than your average backer but can still lay some wood in the box.

The NFL is an extension of college trends andwe're seeing a lot of polished and starter-ready DBs (and unfortunately sloppy OL play as they don't have to hold blocks nearly as long to go along with the quick pass heavy systems) in this year's draft and I expect that trend to continue. One thing for certain is we need to go into the season with more than just 9 DBs on our roster which is what we did last year and it bit us in the ass.

The NFL in a nut shell. Pass Rush and tight coverage wins games. Lbs and Ss have become secondary, acting mostly as a clean up crew. If you want to win, spend your money on 3 edge rushers and 2 fly-paper corners; shop for everything else.

Well keeping our defense healthy would go a long way. Stop counting on players like Misi for example is not a good idea. I don't believe we'll be drafting players on defense thinking we'll change our defense in 4 years from now. As long as Suh is here we'll play a 4-3 defense

Ozzy rules!!

Well keeping our defense healthy would go a long way. Stop counting on players like Misi for example is not a good idea. I don't believe we'll be drafting players on defense thinking we'll change our defense in 4 years from now. As long as Suh is here we'll play a 4-3 defense

Ozzy rules!!

Suh could play in any scheme, but agree that we'll stick with a 4 man front as long as Burke is around.

Looking at our very poor play last year the only silver linings were takeaways and corner play. Despite excellent play from Suh and great pass rush from Wake, our DL was very poor.

Additionally, our LB's couldn't cover whatsoever and that will not change this year. We also were atrocious along the DL and at LB everywhere vs. The run. That may improve with Hayes and possibly Timmons if he rebounds from 2 years of poor play ... but overall our woes against the run look to continue. Hopefully Reshad Jones can stay healthy and help.

We have no CB's that are good enough to lock down the slot and our CB's struggle against the shallow crossing patterns we so frequently see.

Something needs to change. Gases will not accept this low production forever.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Our 1st round pick was:
Charles Harris

IMHO, he is a guy who can play as a rush DE in a 43 and also as an SAM in a 34. This is one of the guys I was hoping to discuss in this thread. Unfortunately, nobody took the bait. :D But, he probably does not lock us into a 43 or a 34, but can play today and adjust tomorrow if needed. My primary goal of locating a true pass rusher is satisfied, while also maintaining the possibility to change the defense if we want at a later date. Not my first choice, but it was a good pick. Now let's see whether he can be a great player and an effective pass rusher. Fingers crossed, and fins up!

I give up.

giphy.gif

I've been on the guard train wagon for years.

So while we can 'hope' for out years in this pick. I still and will always advocate oline until it's fixed.

Back
Top Bottom