Defensive Back Athleticism Ratings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Back Athleticism Ratings

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to say that I crunched the numbers in ways that numbers should not be crunched (I'm an equity analyst, I'm use to it) and I've come up with some overall "athletic ratings" for the defensive backs unit.

I will say that there are 12 major factors going into this rating. Those factors are: Height, Weight, Bench Press, Vertical, Broad Jump, 10 yard split, 20 yard split, 40 yard split, Short Shuttle, Long Shuttle, 3 Cone Drill, and Participation. I did weight some figures, but my weightings are extremely modest...which makes each player's relative standing in each of the 12 categories nearly equal with each other in the construction of the rating. I gave SLIGHTLY extra weight to vertical jump, broad jump, 20-yard split, and 3-cone drill times.

For math wizards, I crunched the differences in the numbers until I came up with normalized, relative figures for each stat (for instance, player X's height divided by median group height). By normalized, what I mean is that once I got a column of relative stats, I adjusted the formulas until the standard deviation of each overall attribute column was approximately 6.1%. This all avoids skewness in any one direction because of the large differences in any one stat. For instance, the difference between a 1.55 10-yard split and 1.70 10-yard split is actually quite huge, but if you just stuffed it into the same equation with the difference between a 220 pound guy and 200 pound guy, without normalizing, a difference of 1 pound would negate the wide difference of the 10-yard split times.

The participation stat I added in because not everyone did every drill and for guys that didn't do a certain drill I inserted the median drill result for the unit so that I could still get an equation. That might not be exactly fair to the guys who participated, when you end up with 6 default median figures out of 20 possible measurements even though the guys might not have done the drill because they knew they'd be below median. Guys with lower than 11 out of 20 participation measurements, I didn't even include in the analysis...since they basically only weighed in then did no drills.

Here's the Top 25, out of a group of 52.

Rank....Pos.....Name.....School.......Rating
1 . DBS Jason Allen Tennessee 13.45
2 . DBC Derrick Martin Wyoming 13.13
3 . DBS Pat Watkins Florida State 13.05
4 . DBS Daniel Bullocks Nebraska 12.95
5 . DBC Tye Hill Clemson 12.93
6 . DBS Michael Huff Texas 12.93
7 . DBS Eric Smith Michigan State 12.89
8 . DBS Jarrad Page UCLA 12.78
9 . DBC Gerrick McPhearson Maryland 12.72
10 . DBC Antonio Cromartie Florida State 12.72
11 . DBS Antoine Bethea Howard 12.71
12 . DBC Marcus Maxey Miami-Fl 12.71
13 . DBC Richard Marshall Fresno State 12.71
14 . DBS Donte Whitner Ohio State 12.68
15 . DBC Johnathan Joseph South Carolina 12.65
16 . DBS Reed Doughty Northern Colorado 12.63
17 . DBS Nate Salley Ohio State 12.62
18 . DBC Josh Lay Pittsburgh 12.57
19 . DBS Charlie Peprah Alabama 12.55
20 . DBS Bernard Pollard Purdue 12.54
21 . DBS Ko Simpson South Carolina 12.53
22 . DBS Danieal Manning Abilene Christian 12.49
23 . DBC Kelly Jennings Miami-Fl 12.48
24 . DBC Cedric Griffin Texas 12.46
25 . DBC Tim Jennings Georgia 12.45

If you have a question about a specific individual in the rankings, you think its way off based on numbers you know of, you can ask me and I'll help explain how he got where he got.

Also please note these ratings are PURELY based on athleticism figures, and have absolutely nothing to do with their play on the field.

Interesting stuff.

Sure you don't have too much time on your hands? :D

SpeedRush99 said:
Interesting stuff.

Sure you don't have too much time on your hands? :D

Very good stuff, But how do you go by these rankings? I mean how is someone more athletic than another? Just wondering how you do this. It is very interesting and yeah Do you have too much time on your hands? :tongue:

it's hard to tell how far apart these numbers are. is the #1 guy here significantly above the guy in last place?

It's cool. I actually plan on making money with this stuff some day so I wouldn't worry about it.

Note how ridiculously high Jason Allen's rating is compared to everyone else. Why? Because the guy is ridiculously athletic, pound for pound, inch for inch. First off he participated in everything which gave him a decent bonus. He measured in about 6'1" and 209 pounds, both are above-norm for the group. He benched the bard 17 times, 1 above par for the group. His 39.5" vertical was above par. His 10'9" average broad jump was WAY above par. Interestingly enough his 10 yard split average was second only to teeny tiny Tim Jennings of Georgia. His 20 split was above par and his 40 was way above par (4.43 average). His 3.83 short shuttle was freaking RIDICULOUS compared to everyone else (helps explain the 10 yard split)...nobody else even came CLOSE. His long shuttle was above par, and his cone drill was above par.

Basically at the Combine Jason Allen was bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than any other defensive back in the unit.

Juan Cribbs said:
it's hard to tell how far apart these numbers are. is the #1 guy here significantly above the guy in last place?

#52 on the list Vincent Meeks had an overall rating of 11.54

In other words there's plenty of difference athletically between Tim Jennings and Vincent Meeks.

As for the definition of athleticism, I suggest you re-read my original post. I made it very clear what the 12 measurements were that went into the rankings.

ckparrothead said:
It's cool. I actually plan on making money with this stuff some day so I wouldn't worry about it.

Note how ridiculously high Jason Allen's rating is compared to everyone else. Why? Because the guy is ridiculously athletic, pound for pound, inch for inch. First off he participated in everything which gave him a decent bonus. He measured in about 6'1" and 209 pounds, both are above-norm for the group. He benched the bard 17 times, 1 above par for the group. His 39.5" vertical was above par. His 10'9" average broad jump was WAY above par. Interestingly enough his 10 yard split average was second only to teeny tiny Tim Jennings of Georgia. His 20 split was above par and his 40 was way above par (4.43 average). His 3.83 short shuttle was freaking RIDICULOUS compared to everyone else (helps explain the 10 yard split)...nobody else even came CLOSE. His long shuttle was above par, and his cone drill was above par.

Basically at the Combine Jason Allen was bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than any other defensive back in the unit.

Hmmm thats very interesting! Thanks for info

i know what you're talking about, i was just wondering what seperates each player from the one ranked ahead or below them. it doesn't seem like much, but i can't really tell.

Wow very interesting and thorough. I admit...I'm intrigued by Pat Watkins, he has excellent size and good speed, needs to add some weight though.

That's a great list. Interesting how high Watkins is on that list. I wonder if he will last until the 3rd as most draft experts seem to think.

The following is all 59 guys rated. Note that the bottom 7 did not receive a rating because they didn't participate in anywhere NEAR enough drills.

I think the encouraging thing about this list is if you track it top to bottom, the guys at the top are really THE best DBs in the draft, the guys in the middle are mid-round guys, and the guys at the bottom are low-round guys.

1 . DBS Jason Allen Tennessee 13.45
2 . DBC Derrick Martin Wyoming 13.13
3 . DBS Pat Watkins Florida State 13.05
4 . DBS Daniel Bullocks Nebraska 12.95
5 . DBC Tye Hill Clemson 12.93
6 . DBS Michael Huff Texas 12.93
7 . DBS Eric Smith Michigan State 12.89
8 . DBS Jarrad Page UCLA 12.78
9 . DBC Gerrick McPhearson Maryland 12.72
10 . DBC Antonio Cromartie Florida State 12.72
11 . DBS Antoine Bethea Howard 12.71
12 . DBC Marcus Maxey Miami-Fl 12.71
13 . DBC Richard Marshall Fresno State 12.71
14 . DBS Donte Whitner Ohio State 12.68
15 . DBC Johnathan Joseph South Carolina 12.65
16 . DBS Reed Doughty Northern Colorado 12.63
17 . DBS Nate Salley Ohio State 12.62
18 . DBC Josh Lay Pittsburgh 12.57
19 . DBS Charlie Peprah Alabama 12.55
20 . DBS Bernard Pollard Purdue 12.54
21 . DBS Ko Simpson South Carolina 12.53
22 . DBS Danieal Manning Abilene Christian 12.49
23 . DBC Kelly Jennings Miami-Fl 12.47
24 . DBC Cedric Griffin Texas 12.46
25 . DBC Tim Jennings Georgia 12.45
26 . DBS Anthony Smith Syracuse 12.44
27 . DBC Reuben Houston Georgia Tech 12.43
28 . DBS Greg Blue Georgia 12.40
29 . DBC DeMario Minter Georgia 12.40
30 . DBS Dawan Landry Georgia Tech 12.39
31 . DBC Devin Hester Miami-Fl 12.39
32 . DBC Darrell Hunter Miami-Oh 12.35
33 . DBS Darnell Bing USC 12.31
34 . DBC John Walker USC 12.31
35 . DBC David Pittman Northwestern State 12.29
36 . DBC Dee Webb Florida 12.28
37 . DBS Chris Harrell Penn State 12.28
38 . DBC Chijioke Onyenegecha Oklahoma 12.22
39 . DBS Scott Ware USC 12.22
40 . DBC Chris Hawkins Marshall 12.20
41 . DBC Dee McCann West Virginia 12.18
42 . DBS Calvin Lowry Penn State 12.17
43 . DBS Willie Andrews Baylor 12.15
44 . DBC Khalid Naziruddin Texas Tech 12.06
45 . DBS Marcus Demps San Diego State 12.05
46 . DBS Jahmile Addae West Virginia 12.04
47 . DBS Darrell Brooks Arizona 12.01
48 . DBS Dwayne Slay Texas Tech 11.94
49 . DBC Antonio Malone Toledo 11.87
50 . DBC Charles Gordon Kansas 11.85
51 . DBS Jarvis Herring Florida 11.65
52 . DBS Vincent Meeks Texas Tech 11.54
NR . DBS Roman Harper Alabama N.R.
NR . DBC Marcus Hudson North Carolina State N.R.
NR . DBC Justin Wyatt USC N.R.
NR . DBS Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech N.R.
NR . DBC Alan Zemaitis Penn State N.R.
NR . DBC Anwar Phillips Penn State N.R.
NR . DBC Ashton Youboty Ohio State N.R.

Great post...it's surprising where some of the big name guys are on the list (e.g. Jimmy Williams).

CK, you and Boom should start your own draft website. Get some good investors and just go head first. I dig all of this stuff, extremely creative and interesting to read.

Back
Top Bottom