Defensive Minded HCs Vs. Offensive Minded HCs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Minded HCs Vs. Offensive Minded HCs?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Which has the history of being most successful? Which type of Head Coach has the most Superbowl victories?

Defensive-
Tom Landry
George Allen
Chuck Noll
Don Shula

Offensive-
Bill Walsh

Special Teams-
Marv Levy

*Pro Football Hall of Famers

Vermeill-special teams
Jeff Fisher-defensive
Bill Cowher-defensive
Bellichek-defensive
Parcels-defensive

Last edited by a moderator:
shula was a combo... he had a pretty good offense, and a really good D. but they were both really great.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
shula was a combo... he had a pretty good offense, and a really good D. but they were both really great.

He asked about their background.

"Shula, who was born January 4, 1930, in Grand River, Ohio, played college football at John Carroll University in Cleveland and then became one of two rookies on Coach Paul Brown’s 1951 Cleveland Browns team. In 1953, Shula moved to the Baltimore Colts as part of an historic 15-player trade. He played cornerback for the Colts for four seasons and for the Washington Redskins in 1957 before turning to coaching as a college assistant.

He returned to pro football in 1960 as the Detroit Lions defensive coordinator. In 1963, Shula was hired as head coach of the Baltimore Colts. At 33, he was the then-youngest head coach in NFL history."

As I developed that little list up there it has become apparent to me that the only offensive "genius" there has ever been is Bill Walsh.

Originally posted by ZOD
As I developed that little list up there it has become apparent to me that the only offensive "genius" there has ever been is Bill Walsh.

What about Mike Shanahan?

Add Jon Gruden and Brian Billick to the "offensive" side of the Super Bowl winners list.

:drinker:

so yea, how about jimmy johnson??

I wouldn't call Parcells a "defensive" minded head coach really either. I think this is all pretty moot the question should be rather of the head coaches who have won super bowls that have experience as coordinators, whats the record of offensive coordinators against defensive coordinators.

I'd say pretty even I mean Gruden and Billick ran defensive teams but were offensive coordinators at one point I do believe.

What about Joe Gibbs, what kind of back ground did he have?

Originally posted by pats4life

What about Mike Shanahan?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Originally posted by DolfanDaveInATX
Add Jon Gruden and Brian Billick to the "offensive" side of the Super Bowl winners list.

Jon Gruden-the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Brian Billick- the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Parcells is a defensive guy. He coached defense his whole life.

More defensive guys:

Vince Lombardi
Jimmy Johnson
Bud Grant

Offensive Guys:

John Madden
Paul Brown
Hank Stram

Now what do I mean?

Brian Billick-1979-1980 director of public relations for the SAN FRANSISCO 49ERS. Billick spent five years as offensive coordinator for Dennis Green who was an assistant for who? Bill Walsh.

Jon Gruden-1990 offensive assistant SAN FRANSISCO 49ERS. Wide receivers coach for Mike Holmgreen 1992-1994 who was an assistant for who? Bill Walsh. Made his mark running the west coast offense for Philadelphia 1995-1997.

Mike Shanahan- Assistant coach SAN FRANSISCO 49ERS 1992-1994.

Is there anyone else I can link to the real "genius"? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom