Defensive Minded HCs Vs. Offensive Minded HCs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Minded HCs Vs. Offensive Minded HCs?

Originally posted by pats4life
What about Joe Gibbs, what kind of back ground did he have?

Joe was an original. Although I could make an attempt to tag him under the Walsh reign too.

Joe Gibbs left the San Diego Chargers in 1980 to become head coach of the Washington Redskins. About that time was the famed "Air Coryell" time in San Diego.

It just so happens that Bill Walsh conveniently left the Chargers for San Fransisco in 1976-1979 with a fully trained Dan Fouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want another spooky regime?

Check out the coaching staffs from the 50's Colts and the 50's Giants.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I wouldn't call Parcells a "defensive" minded head coach really either.

After a collegiate playing career that included stops at Colgate and Wichita State University, he began his coaching career in 1964 as a defensive assistant at Hastings College (in Nebraska). He returned to Wichita State in 1965 as a defensive line coach before moving east to coach at Army. After four years at West Point (1966-69), Parcells left for stints at Florida State, Vanderbilt, and Texas Tech. His first head coaching position came at the Air Force Academy in 1978. He then moved on to the NFL, as an assistant on Ray Perkins' staff with the Giants in 1979. After one season, he joined the Patriots (1980) as the linebackers' coach on Ron Erhardt's staff for one year before returning to the Giants as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, the position he held until taking over as head coach in 1983.

:D

Okay, this is a stretch but.....

Ray Perkins took over the New York Giants in 1979 and would later hire Bill Parcels.

What team did ray leave in 1978? The San Diego Chargers. Who else was there at that time?

Bill Parcels-Bill Walsh=linked. :D

Defensive Coordinator for Johnny Majors at 25. One of the greatest defenses ever at Pitt. Yeah, Jimmy knew sh*t about defense. Just a figure-headed coach. :D

Skapephin,

This is just a thank you for starting an insignificant thread. :D

For a long time I have scoffed at the greatness of Bill Walsh simply because he beat our team back in the 80's. I'd listen to all the spill about what he would do and think, "Yeah, no different than anyone else. He just had great players."

Joking that I did above aside, this thread has peeked my interest in "West Coast" and other offensive philosphies born of Sid Gillman's ideas. Far greater than I have ever been interested. I guess it was just a culmination of curiosity as I have contemplated further investigation of the trio of Sid Gillman, Bill Walsh, and Don Coryell prior to this day.

But thanks to you and the "loose" investigation I did for the "mapping" above, I'm going to be looking into it further. Very soon I'll be buying a book about Sid Gillman, Bill Walsh, or Don Coryell. I think I'll start with Sid Gillman since that is where it all started anyway.

From what I perceive Gillman started something and two factions broke off from his modern day passing game. I think Coryell and Walsh went in similar but different directions in philosophy and coaches have been mimmicking them since. It's just a hunch. Like I said, I've got to do some reading.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Back
Top Bottom