Defensive penalty within 40 seconds of end of 4th question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive penalty within 40 seconds of end of 4th question

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
If any of you guys watch MNF last night with the Jets vs. Titans, the game ended weird. Apparently it's a rule to end the game if a defensive penalty occurs when the clock is running and their is under :40 seconds left in the 4th.

My question is:

Lets say it's the Dolphins vs. Bills and it's 24-17 with Miami in the lead. The Bills are driving with the clock running under :40 seconds in the 4th. They are setting up for a Hail Mary pass. If Miami purposely caused a penalty would the game instantly end like last night, not giving the Bills a chance to throw the Hail Mary?

Nope, you can decline it. The rule is their so teams don't purposely commit offsides and encroachment to stop the clock at the end of games.............

Funny thing is that I have this vision of the Pats trying something like that soon.

Actually the offensive team can accept the penalty & get the ball back. Remember the game can not end on a penalty. That rule is contingent on the defense losing at the time they commit the penalty.

Originally posted by SMadison29
Actually the offensive team can accept the penalty & get the ball back. Remember the game can not end on a penalty. That rule is contingent on the defense losing at the time they commit the penalty.

The game can end on an offensive penalty but not defensive.

Originally posted by Gonk
If any of you guys watch MNF last night with the Jets vs. Titans, the game ended weird. Apparently it's a rule to end the game if a defensive penalty occurs when the clock is running and their is under :40 seconds left in the 4th.

My question is:

Lets say it's the Dolphins vs. Bills and it's 24-17 with Miami in the lead. The Bills are driving with the clock running under :40 seconds in the 4th. They are setting up for a Hail Mary pass. If Miami purposely caused a penalty would the game instantly end like last night, not giving the Bills a chance to throw the Hail Mary?

The game didn't end on the penalty. The rule is that the play clock will be reset and the team leading had the possession so the refs ran the time of the clock because the playclock would have had more time on it then the game clock.

The rule actually is that the game CAN NOT end on a defensive penalty. I.e. if team A trails team B and has possession of the ball and they throw with time expiring and team B has a PI they would still have one play eventhough the game clock is at 0.

Back
Top Bottom