Defensive problems being covered up by offensive probs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive problems being covered up by offensive probs

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
Here is something that really bothered me last monday night. Everyone was railing ray and offense and so forth, which is justified. But noone really saw or metioned what i saw in our defense.

Our defense is boring! they are so vanilla! they always have been! what is with this scheme? Its a no brainer what the jets will do to us. I think you will see what i mean sunday night. they were blitzing just for the sake of blitzing. our Lb's stay way back and never crouch the line of scrimmage. you would think that with so many teams loading up the line and stopping our run game that we would do the same. nope. not us. we are different. we dont use our LB's at all. they come out on 3rd down anyways and we use about fifteen DB's and then we dont even come after anyone with them. ok, the occasional blitz or whatever, but by then the damage is already done. This is going to be a problem down the line. if you see some good stuffing defense this week i will take it with a grain of salt. we will just go back to vanilla by the time we get to a game that means the whole season. which this is one of them.

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
The defense gave up 17 points... I don't think that is what we need to worry about.

dude the game was over by mid second quarter. Favre didnt play the fourth. your analogy is lacking. u proved nothing to me in detail about anything. i am showing you stuff in detail. you are showing me a score that is not in reality, indicative of how badly we were beatin. what is so hard to figure out? they creamed us with simple two step drop and fly stuff and screen pass. that is what the jets will do.

Originally posted by finfan54
dude the game was over by mid second quarter. Favre didnt play the fourth. your analogy is lacking. u proved nothing to me in detail about anything. i am showing you stuff in detail. you are showing me a score that is not in reality, indicative of how badly we were beatin. what is so hard to figure out? they creamed us with simple two step drop and fly stuff and screen pass. that is what the jets will do.

Uh dude, 10 TO's in 2 games says it all. There isn't team in the NFL that can have a winning season with those kind of numbers.

The game was not over until Lucas threw the last int near the end of the 3rd quarter... It was only 17-0 and we were on the 10 yard line.. if he puts that in the endzone it would have been 17-7 with some of the 3rd and the whole 4th to play.. instead he throws it to the other team and they return it 90+ yards and the game is over at 24-0...
They were still trying to score before that.. and thier 17 points came off of 3 to's and short fields... so you can't say the D gave them anything... they got burnt on those two td's when they tried to blitz the house (both on 3rd and long) and they beat us with a screen and there was noone left to tackle green.. if we drop into coverage there and force them to take short yardage and kick the FG... even with the to's and "bad defense" the score would have been 9-0 in the 3rd with us at the 10 yard line...
If the offense holds onto the ball, and the d plays exactly the same... I think we win this game.

Firstly, the defense played poorly, Green ran all over them and Favre looked like.. well, Favre, but on the flip side, they did have a pretty good excuse... all the turnovers are resulting in a defense that can't seem to stay off teh field, and theese guys are getting wore down.

I know, Time of Possession is the most overrated stat in the NFL, but in Miamis case it's a real problem. The offense needs to controll the clock and net long drives (even if they only result in FG's) to keep the D fresh and rested.

Our D is built for read and react and raw speed getting there. It's not the kind of defense that can spend 35-40 minutes on the field and not get wore down. When the Offense controlls the clock, the Defense dominates. When it doesn't, the Defense get tired and look thike their running with cement shoes out there.

Hopefully a good old fashioned controll the clock pick them apart and FOR GODS SAKE NO TURNOVERS offensive effort Sunday will allow the Defense to dominate in the matter that we all know that they are capable of.

Well, to a point I do agree. I see a lack of "fire" that the defense used to have. I don't see that 'attack' in their eye's anymore. Maybe it's because of the way the O is playing, I don't know. But if you look at our D line and LB's the first 4 games, you'll see a difference. Our DB's are playing back more as well, which is probably the call. But even our LB's are still allowing the opposing RB's to get 4+ yards before they get a hand on them sometimes.

Maybe it's just me and I got used to how agressive the D was. Times may be changing.

Not to quibble, here, but time of possesion isn't the most overrated stat in football. That honor goes to the relationship between any particular back getting over X number of carries, and his team winning -- as if building a game plan around just giving that back that number of carries means you're likely to win.

That one drives me nuts every time I hear it. The correlation virtually always occurs because the team was already winning and just ran their most reliable back repeatedly till the clock was gone, of course. Yet supposedly intelligent talking (sports) heads still toss that one out there. Why is that, anyway?

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
The game was not over until Lucas threw the last int near the end of the 3rd quarter... It was only 17-0 and we were on the 10 yard line.. if he puts that in the endzone it would have been 17-7 with some of the 3rd and the whole 4th to play.. instead he throws it to the other team and they return it 90+ yards and the game is over at 24-0...
They were still trying to score before that.. and thier 17 points came off of 3 to's and short fields... so you can't say the D gave them anything... they got burnt on those two td's when they tried to blitz the house (both on 3rd and long) and they beat us with a screen and there was noone left to tackle green.. if we drop into coverage there and force them to take short yardage and kick the FG... even with the to's and "bad defense" the score would have been 9-0 in the 3rd with us at the 10 yard line...
If the offense holds onto the ball, and the d plays exactly the same... I think we win this game.

Our defense was getting moved on at will in the beginning of the game. surtains INT was lucky. another time i think they missed a FG. Our defense was not good at all except at moments. its simple, we dont attack for squat. when we do, its too little too late. everything we change is in the second half. ever notice that? we let them come down the field and we tighten up in the red zone. but if they score, then we are in trouble. I just dont understand, especially since the offense is in trouble, why we wouldnt take more chances bringing up our Lb's and actually use them for something other than getting burnt by a WR or TE. I dont understaind why people are happy with what they are seeing in this defense lately. it is teh same crap every year at this time.

Originally posted by Barbarian
Firstly, the defense played poorly, Green ran all over them and Favre looked like.. well, Favre, but on the flip side, they did have a pretty good excuse... all the turnovers are resulting in a defense that can't seem to stay off teh field, and theese guys are getting wore down.

I know, Time of Possession is the most overrated stat in the NFL, but in Miamis case it's a real problem. The offense needs to controll the clock and net long drives (even if they only result in FG's) to keep the D fresh and rested.

Our D is built for read and react and raw speed getting there. It's not the kind of defense that can spend 35-40 minutes on the field and not get wore down. When the Offense controlls the clock, the Defense dominates. When it doesn't, the Defense get tired and look thike their running with cement shoes out there.

Hopefully a good old fashioned controll the clock pick them apart and FOR GODS SAKE NO TURNOVERS offensive effort Sunday will allow the Defense to dominate in the matter that we all know that they are capable of.

you know, u make some good points but the O was moving the ball and had control for periods of time until they got to the fifty yard line when the fumbles occured. the D being rested was not the issue. trust me, they were being moved on from the get go.

Originally posted by chambers84
Uh dude, 10 TO's in 2 games says it all. There isn't team in the NFL that can have a winning season with those kind of numbers.

yeah but we are not creating any ourselves either. cold weather, we wilt. if you read my post again, you would have noticed that i already said the O was a prob(obviously)duh. of course, to make your point, you blow right past mine as if our defense was great or something. if you looked where people were lining up and what they were doing you would have noticed that favre was playing us like fools. here is a little biscuit for ya, when we had our small DT's in there, they ran up our gut on a draw. when we had our big beefers in, they ran a quick screen wide right. thats called innovation.

Finfan54 is making some good points here. I was not very pleased with the defense's performance Monday night. I was surpised how the tackles were controlled by Green Bay's guards(possibly Whale #68 is really a lot better than I possibly thought). I did not like the tackling, I also was disgusted by how the screens were defensed. It seemed that the average gain on a screen was about 12 yards. Those screens need to be reduced to below a 5 yard average.

I was most dissapointed with Taylor. He was playing an injured LT, who rotated with a backup and he wasnt putting anypressure on an injured favre!! I really thought hed be sacking favre all day long, but maybe he got into his own hype with the defensive player of the month award or something. Someone above mentioned our DT's they also were crap, not blocking for Zach. And last Madison whom i see is catching alot of flack on this board lately...Damn rights he should be too! How much is that guy getting payed? Hes been beat like a rookie a few times this year. the defense in the second half had good stats, but how much of that was cuz the GB offense went ultra conservative????
With all this we have to expect our d to come out this week and dominate! If they have any will to win they will come out strong for this game!!! The offense hopefully will gel, and just overall have our team start playing as a team!!!

Back
Top Bottom