Definately a fit for Flores defense - OLB / Edge Zach Baun | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Definately a fit for Flores defense - OLB / Edge Zach Baun

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

I love this guys smart attack angles, tackling, and how he uses his hands and feet.Look at the way this guys hustles and breaks down for his contact! This guy could really upgrade our defense!

From Draft Network:
PROS: Take every stereotype you know about a Wisconsin rush linebacker and Baun fits the mold. He's quick, he's agile, he loves stunts and working back inside oversetting tackles. He plays his butt off -- every single snap. Technically refined with his punch, he offers good pop and will effectively offset a tackle's pads when he's looking to stack up the line of scrimmage. Baun finds success in numerous phases of defense -- I've seen him corner from a 2 pt. release off the edge, watched him crash off the backside of outside run concepts, seen him slant into interior gaps on crashing DL flow and even take some reps flexed into the slot on the condensed side of the field.

Baun can do a lot of things to an adequate to plus level -- and he's put over the top courtesy of motor and football intelligence.

Last edited:
Tremendous burst off the edge, Charles Harris wishes he had some of that.

Tremendous burst off the edge, Charles Harris wishes he had some of that.
Yes. Great hustle as well. I know they played different positions, but his physical movement to contact and low center actually reminds me of John Offerdahl.

A bigger, stronger, faster Andrew Van Ginkel..
Real question becomes when will you take him?
Will he be around in the 3rd round?

He seems like a 2nd round pick for someone.

Van Ginkel is my immediate thought- Baun looks really good, but we would draft him at what sacrifice given that we have Van Ginkel? Btw Van Ginkel is bigger than Baun iirc. Got to have OL especially OT, need DE's, CB's and Baun is an OLB. I'd love to get him, but as an example what if it was Baun or Ben Brederson? John Simpson? Tough decisions to make, but I'd veer towards the OL guys.

ps we already have Vince Biegel as well, another Wisconsin OLB who played pretty well for us and provides some burst off the edge.

Last edited:

I agree. 2nd rounder most likely. He'll be worth it.

Wisconsin LB's seem to always be under rated. He fits well with what Miami does on defense. If he's a target, I'd think late 2 early round 3.

Wisconsin LB's seem to always be under rated. He fits well with what Miami does on defense. If he's a target, I'd think late 2 early round 3.
He'd be a great 3rd round selection... but not sure this guy lasts that long. He's rock solid against the run and pass.

He'd be a great 3rd round selection... but not sure this guy lasts that long. He's rock solid against the run and pass.
Yeah maybe 2nd rd- he'd be a soid acquisition after passing on ANOTHER Wisconsin OLB- TJ Watt. Btw we passed on Watt and took Charles Harris, we drafted Minkah- both are first team All-Pro for the Steelers this year. Which sucks.

Looks like a solid player but just don’t wanna overdraft him. Will he dominate or just be a role player?

Yeah maybe 2nd rd- he'd be a soid acquisition after passing on ANOTHER Wisconsin OLB- TJ Watt. Btw we passed on Watt and took Charles Harris, we drafted Minkah- both are first team All-Pro for the Steelers this year. Which sucks.

Oh well..so did other teams. move on!

Looks like a solid player but just don’t wanna overdraft him. Will he dominate or just be a role player?

Overdraft - I dont think I ever saw TJ Watt going in the 1st round at all. But where he went - the Steelers - He fitted there program completely. To me, high 2nd rounders are worth a risk at 25 for Miami in this years draft. Braun, to me is a high 2nd rounder, but will probably be gone 27/28 if Miami dont select him. If Miami havent got a rushing OLB/DE in the 1st two picks, then I would grab him at 25. I would prefer Chaisson at 18, but I think he will be gone.

Overdraft - I dont think I ever saw TJ Watt going in the 1st round at all. But where he went - the Steelers - He fitted there program completely. To me, high 2nd rounders are worth a risk at 25 for Miami in this years draft. Braun, to me is a high 2nd rounder, but will probably be gone 27/28 if Miami dont select him. If Miami havent got a rushing OLB/DE in the 1st two picks, then I would grab him at 25. I would prefer Chaisson at 18, but I think he will be gone.

Watt was often mocked in the 1st, and Slimm, CK, and I all had him rated high (Top 10 or close for all of us). Baun looks good, but he's more than 10 lbs lighter (252 vs 240) than Watt and made comments about switching to Off Ball, where he played all week at the Sr Bowl.

If Baun can get his weight up and test well, I'll buy the Top 50 talk. Like I said, he's very good, but he's not going to make it on the edge at 240, and he's an older prospect, so it's less likely that he'll be able to add enough good weight.

Back
Top Bottom