Derek Abney | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derek Abney

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
We've needed a return man that can handle both KO and PR duties and do them well for some time now. If we took Abney we could solve both those problems. He's small, 5-11/177 so he certainly wouldn't fit in as anything more than a return man but I feel it's worth it to take a guy can handle those roles well for the team.

He set NCAA records for most TD's returned in a season and a career at Kentucky so he has a solid pedigree. The SEC is also a competitive league so it's not like he was doing it against scrubs.

Anyone have a clue what round he's supposed to go in?

Madison I was looking for something a little more concrete than that. I can look on draft site in the world and get a two round spread value for him.

If he goes say early 6th then we'd have to use a fourth and I wouldn't be up for that. If he were a late 6th though we may be able to get him.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Madison I was looking for something a little more concrete than that. I can look on draft site in the world and get a two round spread value for him.

If he goes say early 6th then we'd have to use a fourth and I wouldn't be up for that. If he were a late 6th though we may be able to get him.

You never classify a player as early-6th, late-6th, and so on. After day 1, it would be stupid to do so.

FA has a long way to go , there is no telling who will be cut that we acan pick up. I can,t see Wanny putting a Rookie back there to drop punts.

He's a very late day two pick. We could probably get him with our 6th. Using one of our 7ths may be gambling a bit if we really want him but he's also in that late day 2 range where he may not be picked.

Originally posted by REAL DEAL
FA has a long way to go , there is no telling who will be cut that we acan pick up. I can,t see Wanny putting a Rookie back there to drop punts.

He had Baker back there once as well as Sam Simmons. This year, the draft is the best place to find a return man. One guy we could/should take a look at later on... is Broncos WR Chris Cole.

From KY and Abney is awesome. Simple as that. He can catch the ball and find daylight.

I really like Abney as well. His forty is not overly impressive from my report (4.42) but it's fast enough)

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

He had Baker back there once as well as Sam Simmons. This year, the draft is the best place to find a return man. One guy we could/should take a look at later on... is Broncos WR Chris Cole.

Baker wasn't a rookie because he was on our PSquad for 2 years if I remember correctly. He also tore up NFLE last year, so that's why he was given a shot when Charles Rogers failed to do anything.

Sam Simmons was also a 2nd year guy that was on our PSquad durign the 2002 season. He runs a 4.4 40 and has pretty good hands with great ability for sharp cuts. He was given a shot to return when Baker was injured and then he ended up getting injured too. The guys needs some more mass, he's a bit too fragile for return duties, but I liked what he can do after he has the ball.

I'm interested in seeing where Ricardo Colclough will fall to. He started to run his 40 at the combine but pulled up lame and now might not get to work out for scouts before the draft. He has tons of ability but he is extremely, extremely raw coming from Tusculum. He spent a lot of time getting coached up at the Senior Bowl, but he was showing improvement throughout the week with the help of the extra coaching...so he shows promise. He's a real ball-hawk and has excellent hands and ball skills.

The reason I bring him up is because he was also a very exciting return man at Tusculum if I'm not mistaken. If that kid fell to the 3rd round I'd be tempted to take him to begin grooming, assuming that Madison will be gone by 2005 if not before 2004.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
I really like Abney as well. His forty is not overly impressive from my report (4.42) but it's fast enough)

if hes a 4.42 hes plenty fast enough. the key to a kick returner is making teh first guy miss and moves in open field.

Back
Top Bottom