Derrick Pope Steal of the Draft! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrick Pope Steal of the Draft!

Dont forget about Will Poole in the 4th round and Tony Bua is looking great too. Overall Rick did a good job in the draft.

Hey, maybe we didn't have the best overall draft, but if they did a percentage points thing, like they do for values of each individual pick. I think the Dolphins would do quite well, with Poole and Pope being 2nd day picks, and possible stars in the future.

again, I feel I must point out, I drafted Pope in my mock....hehehe

/my arm is getting sore.

Hope none of you guys were caning Spielman just after draft day.

Also remember how good guys can look in camp before the real stuff hits. Thompson anyone?

I think when all is said and done, Will Poole might go down as THE best corner of the 2004 draft and the fact that we got him in the 4th round makes that the instant "steal of the draft"

I wasn't there, but I did see some reports...and I think Poole already showed up Dunta Robinson down in Texas. I mean Poole was a madman all over the place and I read plenty of Texans stuff and didn't hear anything special about Dunta. And I know, you can say that Dunta is still learning etc...but ya know what? Will Poole should be "still learning" too I mean he had to wait even longer than the other rookies I think because he had a damn prison sentence to serve and legal troubles to get out of the way while others were devoting their minds to the playbook.

Now we need to go practice with the Falcons so Poole can show up DeAngelo Hall. I do hear though that Chris Gamble has looked pretty good in Carolina so far and I really did have a good feeling about Gamble. Sometimes that whole pre-draft period really skews things I mean if you would have asked people during the college season who they thought two of the top draft CB prospects were the two names you probably would have heard most would be Poole and Gamble. Then all the workouts happen and stuff, Hall and Robinson make big gains, Poole takes a meteoric dip in the draft, and Gamble falls lower than maybe he should have too.

Anyway I think Pope has a long way to go before he's a "steal" I mean he needs to even make the team, or get a number in the 50's at least. He's a hard hitter, but that much we knew. He's shown some instincts, but he's got to be fire tested.

ckparrothead said:
I think when all is said and done, Will Poole might go down as THE best corner of the 2004 draft and the fact that we got him in the 4th round makes that the instant "steal of the draft"

I wasn't there, but I did see some reports...and I think Poole already showed up Dunta Robinson down in Texas. I mean Poole was a madman all over the place and I read plenty of Texans stuff and didn't hear anything special about Dunta. And I know, you can say that Dunta is still learning etc...but ya know what? Will Poole should be "still learning" too I mean he had to wait even longer than the other rookies I think because he had a damn prison sentence to serve and legal troubles to get out of the way while others were devoting their minds to the playbook.

Now we need to go practice with the Falcons so Poole can show up DeAngelo Hall. I do hear though that Chris Gamble has looked pretty good in Carolina so far and I really did have a good feeling about Gamble. Sometimes that whole pre-draft period really skews things I mean if you would have asked people during the college season who they thought two of the top draft CB prospects were the two names you probably would have heard most would be Poole and Gamble. Then all the workouts happen and stuff, Hall and Robinson make big gains, Poole takes a meteoric dip in the draft, and Gamble falls lower than maybe he should have too.

Anyway I think Pope has a long way to go before he's a "steal" I mean he needs to even make the team, or get a number in the 50's at least. He's a hard hitter, but that much we knew. He's shown some instincts, but he's got to be fire tested.

DW said Poole and Pope will be a players.What does that tell you about Pope?

No doubt he will make the team and be heck of a special team player for the Dolphins this year.

Great...

minus said:
DW said Poole and Pope will be a players.What does that tell you about Pope?

No doubt he will make the team and be heck of a special team player for the Dolphins this year.
YAY. That's a STEAL!

We had several steals this year, in the first draft with Speilman having the final say.
Also Rex Hadnot and obviously Will Poole. Hadnot could be moved to RG and be a starter sooner than later, and has notably impressed the coaches from day 1. With Seth seemingly entrenched at starting center, to get the 5 best blockers on the field it would make sense to have Hadnot play guard where he does have some experience too. Seeing that squatty wide body wearing #66 Aqua evokes memories of a guy named Little.

Getting Poole was like having an extra first round draft pick.
Good ol' Boomer rated him the #1 cornerback in the finheaven draft rankings back before the draft. While nearly everyone had him as late first, early 2nd, Boom was the only one who ranked Poole as the very best. Good call Boom.

I don't think anyone should be surprised by Pope's early success and he went way too late in the draft IMO. The Colts also drafted two LBs, but in the 3rd and the 4th, Gilbert Gardner, and the other Pope, Kendyll. At any point in the draft given the choice of their two or our two LB draftees, I'd take our guys.
Watching Derrick run all over the field in college, he was reminiscient of a former Texas Tech LB that was drafted by the Dolphins in 1996 and it very cool to see the Dolphins coaches already taking positive notice of his ability.
My Hindu theory comparison on Derrick for this draft, was Zach Thomas with a sun tan. :)
Only difference is Derrick has better straight line speed.

Pope and Bua both seem to remind everybody of Zach. I remember the two of them getting interviewed and they both said they wanted to put pads on after practice and fight to see wo the hardest hitter between the two were.

Anyways, It seems that if Zach goes down Morlon might stay at OLB if Pope continues to play at his level(or they might move him to SS who knows). But both Pope and Bua will need to become ST aces this year.

Back
Top Bottom