Derrius Thompson will be back in 2004 and other FA news... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrius Thompson will be back in 2004 and other FA news...

How do you figure he gained seperation? In training camp? I give a crap less about camp, when the lights came on he didn't.

Sullivan may be a good coach but you've got to something to work with. He has no speed, no hands, and is said to be not physical at all.

If he comes back, I'll do what I do with every Phin. Hope for the best and see if he can do anything better than what he showed last year, and do more to make us like him than the team that had and made no effort to re-sign him despite his supposed breakout season.

Re: Derrius Thompson will be back in 2004

Originally posted by dolphan39
from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...eb10,0,6965622.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

DT is certainly worth the min. vet. salary so I like this more. I like DT to replace McK and OG as our #3 WR and he can play a little STs as well. I just hope the FO looks at his pay decrease as justified by a demotion

I like this too. He has what it takes to be a solid #3 WR. I think he'll be a lot more consistent once he's in the #3 spot.

Oliver...

For what it is worth...I put in a tape of the last game of the year against the jets...and they had this iso of Thompson...with this corner giving him this huge cushion...Thompson sprints at the guy and the guy turns his back and runs...the play was an out...but Thompson...in trying to stop and break out towards the sideline...took about 4 steps to come to a stop..then the corner had enough time to come back and almost knocks the ball out...this should have been an easy play...he wasted about 4 steps and a couple of precious seconds to get out of the break...it was awful!

and if you look at almost every pass to him...he always leaves his feet for it...even if it is at chest level...anyone who has tapes of games look for it...you never see him catch balls with his feet planted...screamed about it all year.

Originally posted by NYPhinFan
and if you look at almost every pass to him...he always leaves his feet for it...even if it is at chest level...anyone who has tapes of games look for it...you never see him catch balls with his feet planted...screamed about it all year.

That was bad positional coaching. That situation should have been resolved now that Ford was fired.

Oliver...

Originally posted by NYPhinFan

saw that too.

Remember though guys, you have to take all these into consideration....

1. It was his first year in our system

2. We played magical QB"s all year.

3. our QB's were VERY unproductive

4. We had no running game

etc. etc. etc. And he seemed to get better as the season went on. I'm happy to have him back, he's totally welcome IMO he deserves another chance.

For those who may not know, "guaranteeing a roster bonus" means that it will be treated as a signing bonus. Thompson will still get the $400,000, but it will count $200,000 in both 2004 & 2005, instead of all $400,000 in 2004. Thus, the $200,000 cap savings. This does add $200,000 to the 2005 cap. Miami will do the same thing with Zach Thomas' $4.5 million roster bonus and spread that out over the 5 yrs he has remaining on his contract

McKnight will be cut this year for salary cap reasons. One thing that everyone has failed to mention in our wide receiver scenario is the signing of Snoop Minnis. If this kid can stay healthy, he might be our #2 receiver. He's got the speed and hands to make big plays opposite Chambers.

1. Chambers
2. Minnis
3. Thompson
4. Tolver

I think we should finally part ways with OG and add some young faster receivers to the mix mentioned above. Chambers and Minnis both can fly. Thompson and Tolver's speed will not have secondaries worried, they can be our possession receivers. The only thing I think we need to do as far as WRs are concerned is to find a David Givens type receiver in the later rounds of the draft.

I don't think we have to do too much to our WR corp. Just a minor tweak and they will be a very effective bunch. We now have the best WR coach in the business coaching these guys, and we will see improvement next year. Plus we have two good pass catching TE's in Randy McMichael and Donald Lee to utilize in the middle of the field.

Our main focus, of course, should be our QB and OL situation. We improve these two areas, which I trust we will, and our offense will be more enjoyable to watch.

One thing that will give our team an edge next year will be the fact that we have a new offensive coordinator and offensive assistants. No one knows what Collier's tendencies are in playcalling so the opposing coaches can't gameplan against something they haven't had enough time to see yet. :evil:

Just wanted to add my two cents. :cool:

I can't believe they're going to keep Thompson. He didn't produce worth a damn all season.

Back
Top Bottom