"Derrius Thompson" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Derrius Thompson"

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Here's what SuperPhins posted on the Herald..

I've seen this mentioned before and it's simply not true about Thompson's yardage coming in garbage time. I don't live in the DC area but I have access to the dish so I can watch any game I want when the Dolphins aren't on of course.
Thompson got hot at the end of the year when the Redskins won only 2 of their last 5 games but their 3 losses were close games and Thompson was productive from the 1st quarter on in all 5 of those games. What garbage time?

13 Nov 28 at Dallas Loss 20-27 Thompson 6-94 1 TD
14 Dec 8 NY Giants Loss 21-27 Thompson 6-122
15 Dec 15 at Philadelphia Loss 21-34 Thompson 7-70 1 TD
16 Dec 22 Houston Win 26-10 Thompson 5-73 1 TD
17 Dec 29 Dallas Win 20-14 Thompson 4-78

28-437 3 TD in his last 5 games. That's why I'm excited about Thompson coming to the Dolphins. This guy was reliable and consistent every week. Over 70 yards in all 5 games. That's what the Dolphins need at WR.

Can anyone Bring up McKnight's last five games stat..Now, when team McKnight, Derrius, McMicheal with Chambers, I believe Norv for his optimism this year..

12/01 @Buffalo L 21-38 - 0 recs
12/09 Chicago W 27-9 - 4 rec...90yds..0 TD - 1 car...10yds...1 fum
12/15 Oakland W 23-17 - 4 rec...36yds...0 TD
12/21 @Minnesota L 17-20 - 5 rec...47yds...0 TD
12/29 @New England L 24-27 - 1 rec...32yds...1 TD

ive been excited about Thompson since day one. in fact i liked him last year as a redskin. he opened the season with 4 catches 45 yards and a td. spurrier was messing with his wr and qb situation all year. i remember Thompson finally getting the start week 7 vs. GB because i was down a fantasy wr. he rushed 4 times for 48 yards and caught 5 passes for 89 yards. he followed that up with 4 for 63 against Indianapolis in week 8. he then was in a spat with spurrier and found his way back to the bench until weeks 13 through 17 where he produced every single week. My point being, when he plays, he PRODUCES!!! PERIOD!!great pickup!! he will probably win the starting spot opposite Chambers, with Mcknight #3, Tolver #4, and Baker #5. I see nothing wrong with this WR corp and see no reason to add somebody unless we have an injury.

WoW...I am surprised to see McKnight do so bad in the final 5 games of the season, especially in the Oakland game when all we did was pass...well that was Chambers time to shine.

Thompson is fast too... Everyone who has actually seen him run says he is fast... Maybe he's not sub 4.40 but he's not over 4.49, and with his size, he's gonna be tough for almost any #2 DB to cover...

Under 4.35?!! No way! I do like the speed of our receiving corps, but Chambers, when he came out of the draft was a 4.45 guy at the combine and I think a 4.37 guy at his workout on the fast track. So his time is in the low 4.4's. McKnight was expected to be a 4.5 guy, but when they signed him, he ran in the low 4.4's on the Dolphins fast track. He's a high 4.4 guy. Thompson is probably mid 4.5's. Good speed, not 4.35 speed, that would be amazing, and only a handful of guys can run that in the NFL. When you hear about a guy running a 4.35 before the draft it is almost always on a super fast track, ie T.J Duckett running that time at the Michigan State pro day. On a regular (combine) track, he runs probably a full two tenths slower.

Out of the players in our division, honestly, I don't know if there is a true 4.3 guy. Moulds isn't. Chambers isn't. Moss isn't. Troy Brown isn't. I mean your talking about Deion Sanders, Darrell Green, Bo Jackson type speed. True 4.35 is extremely rare in this league.

I think our best speed guy is Ricky because he's probably like a 4.47 on a track, but he's almost every bit as fast on grass, probably right around that same number. And that's what really counts.

Originally posted by NYRicky34
Under 4.35?!! No way! I do like the speed of our receiving corps, but Chambers, when he came out of the draft was a 4.45 guy at the combine and I think a 4.37 guy at his workout on the fast track. So his time is in the low 4.4's. McKnight was expected to be a 4.5 guy, but when they signed him, he ran in the low 4.4's on the Dolphins fast track. He's a high 4.4 guy. Thompson is probably mid 4.5's. Good speed, not 4.35 speed, that would be amazing, and only a handful of guys can run that in the NFL. When you hear about a guy running a 4.35 before the draft it is almost always on a super fast track, ie T.J Duckett running that time at the Michigan State pro day. On a regular (combine) track, he runs probably a full two tenths slower.

Out of the players in our division, honestly, I don't know if there is a true 4.3 guy. Moulds isn't. Chambers isn't. Moss isn't. Troy Brown isn't. I mean your talking about Deion Sanders, Darrell Green, Bo Jackson type speed. True 4.35 is extremely rare in this league.

I think our best speed guy is Ricky because he's probably like a 4.47 on a track, but he's almost every bit as fast on grass, probably right around that same number. And that's what really counts.

Thanks for the sanity. Player speed is majorly exaggerated. I have a friend who is a scout and he notes that after they do their sprint training before the draft, most guys lose a tenth when they get into the league for a while. Few retain their top track speed before they are drafted.

4.3 is not that rare. Lots of guys run sub 4.4

Darrell Green and the guys you are talking about, are guys who run 4.2 not 4.3

I know this for a fact cuz I go to school in DC that a few years ago Darrell Green was re-timed and he still ran a 4.2

And yes, Santana Moss is a genuine 4.3 guy. Laveraneous Coles WAS a guy in our division who ran a genuine 4.3 time. Peerless Price ran sub 4.4 as well. I doubt there's anyone left that runs one though except Santana anymore. Two of the fastest guys in our division have gone elsewhere, which bodes well for us...because now Chambers is probably the second fastest WR in our division.

Some Bills fans would probably like to note that Josh Reed runs a 4.3 but he's one of those dudes that would do it on a fast track not a regular one.

Nobody runs a 4.3 on grass with pads on in this league. Nobody. Sometimes football speed is about when a guy is strong enough that pads don't slow him down in the 40...could be how Ricky looks so fast on the field but put him on a track and I guarantee he runs no faster than 4.55 or so...probably 4.6

NYRicky34, sorry but you're wrong. Chambers ran a 4.35, 4.37, and 4.38. When he worked out, he ran 4.38s. It's in Kiper JR's 2001 Draft Guide.

Santana Moss runs a 4.4

There has only been one guy in history run a 4.19 and that's Deion, so I really doubt anyone out there but Vick runs in the 4.2's genuinely.

Most of these guys run about 391/2 yards or so at their pro days. I played college ball before getting hurt and our guys ran a 391/2 on a track.

Luis Almanzar, Demetrius Smith, Jason Whittle are a few of the guys I played with.

CK, I know many guys are fast, but most never come close to the 4.2's when timed by pro scouts at the proper distance on grass.

I thought the knock on Thompson was his lack of speed.

Moss is fast and quick, a terror with the ball. His problem is catching the ball. Word is he doesn't have the hands to be a good NFL WR, we saw that in the Jets playoff game against the Raiders.

Originally posted by DNY
I thought the knock on Thompson was his lack of speed.

They said that about Ricky last year and it turned out that he was fast after all. Just wait to see him in a game before making your mind with some reports.

Like we've said a thousand times, football speed isn't track speed.

Back
Top Bottom