Detailed film study of Aaron Brewer | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Detailed film study of Aaron Brewer

Honestly, I think we may have traded up here. I know that the negative bro-posters and the trolls keep harping on the sacks that Brewer surrendered last year, but Brewer is crazy quick... you have to wonder just how many of the sacks were driven by the QB holding the ball too long or the WRs just not getting open while the immobile QB didn't throw it away.

Did he get beat... or were the sacks a team failing. No one is supplying film...

IF the sacks were a team issue, then I'm going to suggest that Brewer's crazy quickness and better snaps will be extremely welcome... not to mention his clean injury card.

...and the 7m/year?

Laughably low if he works out.

I REALLY like the price to risk ratio on this one. I don't want Williams back. Very good (not great) player... but a pretty major injury risk now. I don't want to do that.
He was ranked 13th in pass blocking as a center out of 32, not like 30th. He’s basically slightly better than average at pass blocking as of now, but exceptional in run blocking in a dynamic zone scheme like ours that requires quick and precise movement etc,

And he could also improve in pass blocking. He also isn’t coming off yet another knee injury like Conner Williams…

I don’t know about him being a better snapper than Williams. He as also had problems snapping in the shotgun.

From the article.. “Brewer leads the league in pressures allowed by a center and is second in sacks allowed. That doesn’t even take into account the issue he has had with bad shotgun snaps at times.”

I find it curious that the Titans let Brewer walk with new head coach Brian Callahan hiring his dad, Bill Callahan, as offensive line coach. Bill coached in Cleveland the last 3 years before signing on with the Titans. Bill is one of the better teachers of the wide zone in the NFL. The Browns oline, with Callahan as Oline coach, were ranked in the top 5 in the NFL these past 3 years. Something to think about? We will just have to see how this plays out once the season begins.
We’ll see what our excellent line coach can help him with, but also surrounding him with a couple of good guards will help him as the players next to u can also impact your performance especially on pass pro, and I don’t think titans guards were good last year.

Pro's and Con's here.....

6th rated Center in the run game and 11th rated center overall. The pass pro will be the open issue and if it improves this could be a really good signing
holy crap only 274lbs according to this article? get this man on tua's exercise program from last offseason!!!!!

I don’t know about him being a better snapper than Williams. He as also had problems snapping in the shotgun.

From the article.. “Brewer leads the league in pressures allowed by a center and is second in sacks allowed. That doesn’t even take into account the issue he has had with bad shotgun snaps at times.”
What is it with Grier and McDaniel preferring Guards who get moved to Center and have bad snaps? Don't they realize that they'd be better off with someone who is a true Center and has years of experience at the position? Thinking like this is why Miami can't build a strong, competent o-line.

apologies for raining on the parade, but i am officially getting worried about the brewer signing. hopefully i am wrong. the issue is people tend to look at these things in a vacuum. doing it that way, every individual move can make sense. brewer certainly has some compelling traits given his mobility, which makes him a great scheme fit. HOWEVER, the team needs to be bigger and tougher in the trenches. winning on the road, in cold weather, or in the playoffs against better teams is a different deal. you cannot just build a team to play madden football when you are at home in perfect weather. they need more nasty. they need to be able to jam it down people's throats right up the middle on third and short. and they need to give tua more than 2 seconds to throw the ball, it is too much to ask of him to get the ball out so quickly on every play. look, it is early. maybe the dolphins understand all this stuff and have a plan. i have no idea. but my point is more about the mosaic of what they are doing on the OL, as opposed to the player individually. hunt was a big physcial guy too, that we lost. so i would have liked to augment the physicality, as opposed to getting smaller.

apologies for raining on the parade, but i am officially getting worried about the brewer signing. hopefully i am wrong. the issue is people tend to look at these things in a vacuum. doing it that way, every individual move can make sense. brewer certainly has some compelling traits given his mobility, which makes him a great scheme fit. HOWEVER, the team needs to be bigger and tougher in the trenches. winning on the road, in cold weather, or in the playoffs against better teams is a different deal. you cannot just build a team to play madden football when you are at home in perfect weather. they need more nasty. they need to be able to jam it down people's throats right up the middle on third and short. and they need to give tua more than 2 seconds to throw the ball, it is too much to ask of him to get the ball out so quickly on every play. look, it is early. maybe the dolphins understand all this stuff and have a plan. i have no idea. but my point is more about the mosaic of what they are doing on the OL, as opposed to the player individually. hunt was a big physcial guy too, that we lost. so i would have liked to augment the physicality, as opposed to getting smaller.
Fair points, especially on improving the team's capacity for late season away games in cold climes. It is a tricky balance because to some degree the traits that support success in frigid weather are a liability earlier on in s Florida. I like the Brewer signing a lot given the options available and if Miami wins home advantage that cold weather stuff becomes moot-ish.

Yep, agree! I cant remember the last time the Fins had a nasty line. But McD's style is finesse so thats the way the team is continuing to be built.

The thing that makes me cautiously optimistic about his signing is that he was 13th in pass block win rate for centres. I know PFF had him giving up a lot of pressures and sacks but ESPN had him as slightly above average at the 2.5 second mark compared to other centres. Does that mean that the Tennessee QB's were holding the ball too long or that the scheme was calling for long developing plays? As we know, Tua averaged 2.3 seconds last year to get the ball out so that will mask a lot of the passing issues.

If he stays healthy and helps in the run game like we all think he can I think this could be a very good move. It's easy to see how much the run game fell off when Connor was out and Eichenburg couldn't get to the second level on his blocks to cut off LB's like Connor or this new dude can.
Wasn't that one of the most frequent and common complaints about Tannehill when he was with the Dolphins? Seems like it was brought up on a weekly basis.

winning on the road, in cold weather, or in the playoffs against better teams is a different deal. you cannot just build a team to play madden football when you are at home in perfect weather.

Fair points, especially on improving the team's capacity for late season away games in cold climes. It is a tricky balance because to some degree the traits that support success in frigid weather are a liability earlier on in s Florida.
This is exactly why Miami is at a disadvantage playing in the AFC East. Looking at it logically, it's not right for one warm weather team to be in the same division as three cold weather teams. Teams get used to playing in their own element, which is why cold weather teams struggle in Miami early in the season, and why Miami struggles up north late in the season.

The main disadvantage is that scheduling can affect the Dolphins more than the Bills, Pats, or Jets when it comes to division games. Each team plays their division opponents twice... once at home, and once on the road, for a total of six division games. However, Miami is forced to play three division games "out of their element" up north, while the other teams only have to play one division game "out of their element" down south. This is definitely unfair, and I don't know why Miami never asked to be moved to the AFC South where they belong. In fact, there are several teams that should be moved to a different division.

Yep, agree! I cant remember the last time the Fins had a nasty line. But McD's style is finesse so thats the way the team is continuing to be built.
Right, and McDaniel is wrong. Sparano was old-school, and his o-lines always held their own against the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. Then came Philbin with his finesse o-line blocking schemes, and suddenly Miami's o-line was pushed around and dominated by those tough, physical d-lines, and they started losing more of those games. To this day, Miami's o-line is ineffective against tough d-lines, which is why finesse is NOT the answer!

This is exactly why Miami is at a disadvantage playing in the AFC East. Looking at it logically, it's not right for one warm weather team to be in the same division as three cold weather teams. Teams get used to playing in their own element, which is why cold weather teams struggle in Miami early in the season, and why Miami struggles up north late in the season.

The main disadvantage is that scheduling can affect the Dolphins more than the Bills, Pats, or Jets when it comes to division games. Each team plays their division opponents twice... once at home, and once on the road, for a total of six division games. However, Miami is forced to play three division games "out of their element" up north, while the other teams only have to play one division game "out of their element" down south. This is definitely unfair, and I don't know why Miami never asked to be moved to the AFC South where they belong. In fact, there are several teams that should be moved to a different division.
i agree. the other issue is that it is easier for the cold weather teams to play in the heat than it is for the warm weather team to play in the cold. the cold weather teams practice in the summer, and believe it or not, it is almost as hot and humid in the northeast as it is in miami in july and august. having said all of that, at this point it is what it is. football has always been a cold weather sport. the division is not going to change. i think it is folly to rely on winning the division every year and having homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. so need to build a team that in addition to being fast, has some nasty and toughness and that can compete in less than ideal conditions.

Right, and McDaniel is wrong. Sparano was old-school, and his o-lines always held their own against the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. Then came Philbin with his finesse o-line blocking schemes, and suddenly Miami's o-line was pushed around and dominated by those tough, physical d-lines, and they started losing more of those games. To this day, Miami's o-line is ineffective against tough d-lines, which is why finesse is NOT the answer!
I dont think anyone can reasonably argue with you. Thats also why Fins continually fade in cold weather/hostile environments.

Honestly, I think we may have traded up here. I know that the negative bro-posters and the trolls keep harping on the sacks that Brewer surrendered last year, but Brewer is crazy quick... you have to wonder just how many of the sacks were driven by the QB holding the ball too long or the WRs just not getting open while the immobile QB didn't throw it away.

Did he get beat... or were the sacks a team failing. No one is supplying film...

IF the sacks were a team issue, then I'm going to suggest that Brewer's crazy quickness and better snaps will be extremely welcome... not to mention his clean injury card.

...and the 7m/year?

Laughably low if he works out.

I REALLY like the price to risk ratio on this one. I don't want Williams back. Very good (not great) player... but a pretty major injury risk now. I don't want to do that.
Well said.

He is a great fit for McD's offense because of his mobility and quickness and while some of the pass blocking issues were not his fault he is going to need to be better in that area for Miami.

Back
Top Bottom