Dexter Lawrence | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dexter Lawrence

FinPhan54

Basement Dweller
Club Member
Reaction score
What is everyones thought on this guy at 13?

I think if we move down to 18 or 23, he is definitely going to be very high on our board, but lets talk about the possibility at 13.

Now, he is not your big Vince Wilfork type nose tackle. Well, he is, but he is also very athletic for being close to 350 pounds. Clemson lined him up all over the D-Line throughout the year, and he is a player who you know what you are going to get from him on a daily basis.

Chris Simms said it perfectly when he named Lawrence his #2 best DT behind Quinnen Williams (yes over Oliver and Wilkins) he said that Lawrence's good plays are great, and his bad plays are not even bad because even on film when he gets blocked he is still taking up at least 2 guys.

So, what are your thoughts on the player, the fit, and the possibility of us taking him at 13 or with a trade back?

I think you can find his type of production in the later rounds. More of a space eater. Run stuffer. Would be a Meh pick for me. Guess I wouldnt hate it but think we can get a higher impact player in the first round.

I typically don't value the "really athletic for 350 pounds" defensive tackles much high than the #25 overall range, and they have to be pretty special for that. Athletic for 350 pounds still isn't that athletic. They're still 350 pounds.

Guys like Lawrence, Vita Vea, Dontari Poe, Danny Shelton, etc. You're just never going to get the production out of 'em to justify picking 'em that high. It's just not going to happen. Rowdy has it right - you can get the same sort of impact later for a much more justifiable price.

I typically don't value the "really athletic for 350 pounds" defensive tackles much high than the #25 overall range, and they have to be pretty special for that. Athletic for 350 pounds still isn't that athletic. They're still 350 pounds.

Guys like Lawrence, Vita Vea, Dontari Poe, Danny Shelton, etc. You're just never going to get the production out of 'em to justify picking 'em that high. It's just not going to happen. Rowdy has it right - you can get the same sort of impact later for a much more justifiable price.

Yea, I agree with this. I love Lawrence. But there are too many guys at 13 that are just more impactful.

I'd not take him at 13. Actually would not take him unless is in the 20's at the earliest. It worries me to have a guy that big in the miami heat/humidity as not everyone can handle it.

What were your thoughts on Vince Wilfork coming out? He had a great career, but would you say he was worth the selection the Patriots spent on him at the time in 2004?

EDIT: I'm in no way saying Lawrence is anywhere near the talent Wilfork was coming out of Miami. There were stories of Wilfork crossing over the likes of Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle in pick up basketball.

What were your thoughts on Vince Wilfork coming out? He had a great career, but would you say he was worth the selection the Patriots spent on him at the time in 2004?

EDIT: I'm in no way saying Lawrence is anywhere near the talent Wilfork was coming out of Miami. There were stories of Wilfork crossing over the likes of Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle in pick up basketball.

Wilfork was around 320 pounds when he came out of college. And he wasn't as athletic as the Poe's, Vea's, or Lawrence's.

I think Wilfork was picked in the range about where he should have been, but he probably outplayed that value simply by having such a long career. Although he never had more than 3 sacks in a season I think. I don't think he had any the last 5 or so years of his career. He was just a clogger. That's what he grew into.

The game was different then. It's about getting pressure on the passer now. The Sam Adams and Ted Washington's wouldn't be as valuable nowdays as they were back then. Adams was actually more of a pass rusher than Wilfork was. The game has changed too much at the NFL level.

Wilfork was around 320 pounds when he came out of college. And he wasn't as athletic as the Poe's, Vea's, or Lawrence's.

I think Wilfork was picked in the range about where he should have been, but he probably outplayed that value simply by having such a long career. Although he never had more than 3 sacks in a season I think. I don't think he had any the last 5 or so years of his career. He was just a clogger. That's what he grew into.

The game was different then. It's about getting pressure on the passer now. The Sam Adams and Ted Washington's wouldn't be as valuable nowdays as they were back then. Adams was actually more of a pass rusher than Wilfork was. The game has changed too much at the NFL level.

Poe is a pretty good comparison. I like Lawrence a LOT...for the role he would fulfill. Is he going to change the game by himself? No. But he would be a very integral part of a game-changing defense, if that makes sense. He's a clogger and a run-stuffer who is also big and strong enough to generate interior pressure. I would not like him at 13. But I would love him at 23.

I perfer both his Clemson teammates.

13 is much too high for him.

Not at 13, but I'd be pleased with him on a trade down into the 20's. He would be a key piece in setting up the run defense. Guys like Casey Hampton and Wolfork were huge pieces on perennially good teams.

I wouldn't value him high.

Every time I watch him, my eyes are drawn to Christian Wilkins or Clelin Ferrell.

I just end up too disappointed. He's not Vita Vea. He doesn't play like Vita did/does.

He's more like Jordan Phillips. And in very Jordan Phillips fashion, he was foolish enough to test positive for PEDs at the Combine. Imagine knowing the date of a pee test for months and months in advance and still failing it.

At least with Porter Gustin there's an issue they're trying to resolve with the fact he actually has been approved to use adderall therapeutically.

I wouldn't value him high.

Every time I watch him, my eyes are drawn to Christian Wilkins or Clelin Ferrell.

I just end up too disappointed. He's not Vita Vea. He doesn't play like Vita did/does.

He's more like Jordan Phillips. And in very Jordan Phillips fashion, he was foolish enough to test positive for PEDs at the Combine. Imagine knowing the date of a pee test for months and months in advance and still failing it.

At least with Porter Gustin there's an issue they're trying to resolve with the fact he actually has been approved to adderall for therapeutic use.

Wait a minute? Lawrence tested for PEDs at combine?!? And before the national championship game? hes off my board in the first 3 rounds if thats true.

I have not heard that he tested positive at the Combine.Not sure that is accurate.

At this point it is really looking like Wilkins or Ferrell will be the pick, at 13 or hopefully a little further down.

Back
Top Bottom