Dez Bryant makes a late push up the board. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant makes a late push up the board.

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Fueled by an aggressive effort from his agent to get the word out regarding his pre-draft visits, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant is closing strong. Though the Browns aren't interested (unless they're simply trying to hide their interest), plenty of teams are.

And there's a legitimate belief that Bryant deserves the benefit of the doubt. Despite his decision to lie to the NCAA and the possibility that he has an issue with showing up on time and an inability to acknowledge it, plenty of guys making plenty of money playing football have done far worse.

"People who know me know I'm not a bad guy," Bryant told Peter King of SI.com. "I made a mistake. I learned from it. I think it matured me. What I want these teams to know is I never committed a crime. I've never been in trouble with the police. Don't smoke weed. Don't drink. Whoever drafts me is going to get a dedicated, hard-working player.''

And so the question will be whether a team is willing to bank on the fact that Bryant knows right from wrong and, when given the choice, consistently will choose to do the right thing.

www.profootballtalk.com

hopefully this will improve our chances to trade down if we don't pick him

I'm actually pretty worried that he won't be there at #12.

I think it comes down to this:

Is Dez bigger upgrade to what we have at WR.
or
Is Brandon Graham a bigger upgrade to who we have starting at SOLB
or
Is Earl Thomas a bigger upgrade to who we have starting at FS

Answer that and that should be who you should root for to be drafted.

The bigger question whom do the fins feel is the bigger upgrade.

Imo, Graham would be the bigger upgrade since we have absolutely squat starting at SOLB if the season started today. Then it would be Earl then Dez.
Chubbs

or
or

Imo, Graham would be the bigger upgrade since we have absolutely squat starting at SOLB if the season started today. Then it would be Earl then Dez.
Chubbs

I like your thinking but I really think that you missed one important point:

What you have to factor in is not only the "upgrade" factor the VALUE of the position.

i.e

What is the bigger upgrade to our team?

a) A stud wide receiver
b) A stud OLB
c) A stud FS

You combine the answer to that with your "position" upgrade, and you have your answer as to who to pick when 12 rolls around.

For example, if we had the League's worst QB, FS and corner......and we were able to get one 15-year Pro Bowler at any one of thos positions, then we would all choose the QB because it more valuable an upgrade.

or
or

Chubbs
And if the answer is yes to all three?

The biggest problem to which is the biggest upgrade is that we have more than one draft pick.

If you want to use the same logic, the question should be, "Is the team better off with ----- or ------?"

For me, Dez, Sapp/Worilds, Major Wright/Reshad Jones is better than Graham, Taylor Price, Major Wright/Reshad Jones OR Earl Thomas, Jason Worilds/Ricky Sapp, Mike Williams.

That is really what the FO must decide. The draft is deep at 3-4 OLB, WR, S, and NT. All positions the Phins need. If it went Bryant, Sapp/Worilds, Cam Thomas, Reshad Jones I'd be pretty thrilled, though I'm on record as not being a Cam Thomas fan.

I'm actually pretty worried that he won't be there at #12.

So am I.

I keep getting this vision of Dez running all over teams for the next 10 years......and saying "yeah, did you know that the Fins could have had him?"

The fact is, we CAN have him, IF we really want him.

I mean really, do we have a SINGLE "explosion-waiting-to-happen" person on our offense?

Here's the reality and this is something I don't think a lot of people pay enough attention to in the draft process.

Draft boards were mostly set back in February. There's some changing, but it's relatively minor.

When there's a headline out there that says something like "Dez Bryant makes a late push back up the draft boards"...I just have to laugh. It implies that these scout boards go up and down, up and down, up and down like roller coaster. They don't do that.

This is an entertainment business and movement is entertaining. It's "As the Draft Turns". Ooh, a guy is falling! Ooh! This guy is rising!

The only thing rising or falling is public opinion, and the only thing changing is what the scouts choose to talk about with their media toilet bowls that are on the lucky receiving end of their overactive poop chutes.

So did Dez Bryant really go tumbling down the draft boards only to make a recent comeback that sees him going in the top 12? Or was Dez Bryant pretty much just always in the top 12 and the media played the situation like a violin to keep the public hanging on every word, clicking on articles, typing massive comments and posts like this one, etc?

I'm goin with the latter.

Here's the reality and this is something I don't think a lot of people pay enough attention to in the draft process.

Draft boards were mostly set back in February. There's some changing, but it's relatively minor.

When there's a headline out there that says something like "Dez Bryant makes a late push back up the draft boards"...I just have to laugh. It implies that these scout boards go up and down, up and down, up and down like roller coaster. They don't do that.

This is an entertainment business and movement is entertaining. It's "As the Draft Turns". Ooh, a guy is falling! Ooh! This guy is rising!

The only thing rising or falling is public opinion, and the only thing changing is what the scouts choose to talk about with their media toilet bowls that are on the lucky receiving end of their overactive poop chutes.

So did Dez Bryant really go tumbling down the draft boards only to make a recent comeback that sees him going in the top 12? Or was Dez Bryant pretty much just always in the top 12 and the media played the situation like a violin to keep the public hanging on every word, clicking on articles, typing massive comments and posts like this one, etc?

I'm goin with the latter.

I couldn't agree more...

and the worst part ? it works, and now the NHL is paying close attention, trying to mediatize their own draft, with some crap of their own like " Tyler or Taylor for first overrall ? " with analysts at TSN, ESPN, NHL.com constantly changing their opinion, while everyone (well, knowledgable hockey fans :lol: ) knows what a team will get with Tyler , and with Taylor...

It's all about the $$$ :rolleyes:

I'm telling ya, the years go by, and I read less and less crap during the draft season... i used to read a lot, watch a lot of mocks, but really, there's probably 1 guy for every 1000 ones that are clueless about the draft ... and I include myself in the latter category :lol:

and then, amongst those 1000, about 900 of them don't know **** about playing and/or coaching and/or managing, a football team

The last 2 drafts have been going with the safest pick to fill the largest hole not the sexy high cieling pick. We missed out on the QB that Atlanta picked up 2 years ago and possibly a a higher rated player than Vonte Davis las year. This year it really looks like OLB is staring us in the face so you kinda got to expect that is the position pick this year like a Graham, Morgan or Kindle. We really so need another pick with all of our needs in the 1st 4 rounds. 2 OLB, NT, FS and TE/WR. If Morgan is there I say they pounce than if not a possible trade back about 5-7 spots is an option where a Kindle or Graham might be available.

The last 2 drafts have been going with the safest pick to fill the largest hole not the sexy high cieling pick. We missed out on the QB that Atlanta picked up 2 years ago and possibly a a higher rated player than Vonte Davis las year. This year it really looks like OLB is staring us in the face so you kinda got to expect that is the position pick this year like a Graham, Morgan or Kindle. We really so need another pick with all of our needs in the 1st 4 rounds. 2 OLB, NT, FS and TE/WR. If Morgan is there I say they pounce than if not a possible trade back about 5-7 spots is an option where a Kindle or Graham might be available.

I'm sorry but drafting brandon graham is not a safe pick... and you're talking to a big graham fan ... he's essentially played LB in a 4-3 in highschool, and played DE and some 5 technique at michigan. While i think he'd fit in well at SOLB, and many others think the same, it's not a safe assumption.

much like saying dez bryant's off-field scandals mean nothing and he'll become a #1 receiver, or saying that earl thomas' size is not an issue and he's a safe pick ...

:rolleyes:

At this point, i don't think it's about picking the safest player, we're looking at skill position players and IMO there's no bigger place where the Boom or Bust pick occur.

The phins have to cautiously gamble at #12 IMO ...

Back
Top Bottom