DG or no DG and the Cap (merged 2x) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DG or no DG and the Cap (merged 2x)

Would you like to see Daryl Gardner get cut?

• Yes

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
VanDolPhan,

you have to remember Daryl WAS having back problems in the last mini camp. Not the one were having now, but the one before. He was having tightness in his back.

The thinking has to be, is he going to stay healthy? It's a possibility that he gets cut simply for the fact that maybe they are working on a trade, or maybe something else is going on like them knowing a certain player is going to become available, and they want to go after him.

All kinds of things happen, and if they are questioning DG's back (as we all should) then I can see it happening. They had no reason to worry about it until that tightness occured.

Re: Re: Re: DG or no DG

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

No IF about it IMO....No Way could we get a decent pick for DG with his cap and health issues.

Are you saying a team like Minnesota or Cinncy would not trade a 2nd rounder for DG? I think they would.

Re: Re: Re: Re: DG or no DG

Originally posted by booyeah_

Are you saying a team like Minnesota or Cinncy would not trade a 2nd rounder for DG? I think they would.
I do not think you can get anything for DG because of his cap # and his history or injuries and the possibility of a career ending back injury. Maybe a late round conditional pick if DG renegotiated - which seems unlikely.

P.S. that's why I said just keep him - though not sure how much we can save cutting him.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
I actually dont think it would be that bad this year. Since we restructured his contract, he was allotted a small amount into this years salary. His signing bonus would be spread out over about 5 years i think.
If he is cut, we take the full cap hit this year. from http://www.nflpa.org/members/playerProfile.asp?ID=23958 DG is supposedly making 2,635,000 in 2002.

Then that answers that. If we have to pay for him, we might as well get what we can out of him.

Van, I apologize, you were correct.

I'd just as soon see DG play. It might be a good measure of how far Mike Williams has progressed to that point in the Bills' season. I think if I were a Dolphins fan I would be concerned about DG's ability to stay on the field, but to be perfectly honest, I haven't followed his career closely enough to know just how serious this injury is.

No one would trade for him cuz they cant fit under the cap. The idea of a trade is ridiculous. He will be on the team or he will get cut. I would like to see him cut after this season. I would like to see how he looks at DE and his cap number this year is not terrible after he took his pay cut. If he doesnt play 39% of the snaps, he will not cost more than 2.635 million plus whatever portion of his signing bonus is (which isnt too much considering a 7 year contract). So we would lose his $2.635 million salary gone but I do not know how that would work with the June 1 cut, and the accelerated cap hit.

No Problem

If DG is a negative in the locker room, I'd cut him......simple as that. Great teams RARELY have cancer players.

Re: Re: Re: Re: DG or no DG

Originally posted by booyeah_

Yes, I am saying nobody would give us a 2nd rounder for him. His injury history is poor over the last 2-3 years and salary too high......:lol:

I suppose it would save us some money...enough it would seem to sign a guy like Sam Adams. Not sure how much precisely.

Daryl Gardener's remaining contract:

2002 2635000.00
2003 5720000.00
2004 5800000.00
2005 5860000.00
2006 6750000.00
2007 7250000.00

However I don't think his signing bonus was made that widely available. Having a hard time tracking it down. Plus even if we did track it down with the 2 revisions of his contract it would be a nightmare to figure out. It's going to be large though. Large enough to factor out Sam Adams unless someone else got cut.

Somewhat confusing... but I saw somewhere his cap value prior to his restructure for this year was $6.8 million. His base salary was $5.7, so that means his pro-rated bonus is $1.1million. I read a couple of conflicting reports on the terms of his contract... some reported 7 years.... others 8.

It was also reported his restructure was nothing other than converting $2million of base salary to unlikely-to-be-earned incentives. Thats means a cap value of $4.8million (3.7 base.)

By releasing him we would save the value of his base salary this year... $3.7 million. BUT, we would have to carry all the remaining unpaid portion of his signing bonus under next year's cap. That would amount to $5.5 million.

But, what would we do with his savings this year?? There is nobody else left in free agency worthy of signing, so basically the extra money would be wasted. If we can't get anything for him... we might as well keep him and pray it works out (which I think it will... I think these rumors are being blown waaaaay out of proportion.) But, if we are forced to release him at some time... we would be better off doing it NEXT year after June 1st... or try to find a trade for him.

I voted other...

...as I don't think now is a good time to make the decision. If he can't cut it in camp or his back flares up then a cut will make sense.

But if his only problem is his attitude then it's up to the management to manage the situation. Reset his expectations. Make his roster spot conditional.

Doing without him is clearly possible because if you factor in his health risk we might be doing that anyway. Personally I hope he pulls through and gets with the program. I hope he can make it as a DE. But above all I'm hoping for a successful Dolphins season and if he jeopardises that then he should find a new home!

(I don't buy the idea that getting an additional DT solves the DE problem).

No but a healthy, revitalized, Rob Burnett will....right van?

Originally posted by inFINSible
No but a healthy, revitalized, Rob Burnett will....right van?

We use to run a DE rotation of J.T. , Rich Owens, Bromell, Mixon, Armstrong. If DG was removed from that I am not exactly confident with J.T, Burnett, Bowens, O gun. Especially if injuries creep in.

Back
Top Bottom